NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Cup Field

Happy Sunrise

I presume these are the final rankings. Only horse who would have made it a better field who hasn't got in is Wild Excuse but if you don't front up more often in the big lead up races I don't see why you should get in.

It certainly has more depth than previous years and more winning chances. Draw will be important.

image.png.2e434f0bbb55eaf9639e39e52528afc5.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I presume these are the final rankings. Only horse who would have made it a better field who hasn't got in is Wild Excuse but if you don't front up more often in the big lead up races I don't see why you should get in.

It certainly has more depth than previous years and more winning chances. Draw will be important.

image.png.2e434f0bbb55eaf9639e39e52528afc5.png

Agree about Wild Excuse.Only lead up race was Methven cup where I think 3rd but needed line up at Ashburton or Kaikoura and finish in top 5.I see a few are moaning about it not getting it but the rankings have been out for months and if they really wanted a start the ball was in their court to front up

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Richie said:

I see a few are moaning about it not getting it but the rankings have been out for months and if they really wanted a start the ball was in their court to front up

If she is better than the likes of Nandolo etc then she needed to prove it consistently. She would have made the race a lot more interesting but didn't do enough.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It actually looks like a very weak cup field!

There are many in there that you couldnt really call them cup class!!

Punting wise, maiden fields so much better!

Can anyone be bothered betting into the race, just good to have Cup Day happening as too late to cancel now with the deadly Clvid19 back in the Chch community you would think?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

It is better than in recent years. At least they can all run. Tango Tara is the lowest rating at 76. Below some who missed out lol

Am I correct that Tango Tara has won 5 races,so by winning just a few races but getting up in the ratings is what gets him in?

6 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Am I correct that Tango Tara has won 5 races,so by winning just a few races but getting up in the ratings is what gets him in?

No, got 3rd in the Canterbury Classic to Self Assured so automatically got in. Also got 3rd in the Hannon.

If Wild Excuse really wanted to get in the Cup they should have started in these or gone to Kaikoura. Richie is right, needed to front.

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Is Di Caprio really classed as a cup horse?

6 wins and gets a cup start?

Personally think it is the weakest cup field ever!

There are some that would need a 50 metre start to have any show!!!

In some ways that shows just where harness racing is at the moment

2 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

In some ways that shows just where harness racing is at the moment

It has been like this for quite awhile.

It is the nature of racing these days. Hoping for OC horses filling a cup race like in the past will never happen with fewer numbers racing and more  exports.

At least Tango Tara, Heisenberg and Di Caprio  etc are really solid C8 or C9 horses as they have shown they can foot it with the best. Back in the day there used to be C8 horses who were on the up who should have been in the Cup but were not there because past it OC horses got in automatically.

20 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Still better than Quick As a Trick, Imola and Lewy Risk etc.

Di Caprio won't get in the way and has proven he can handle himself. A quick beginning which he can do and he may be thereabouts with luck.

There are many horses that havent won many races that wouldnt be too embarrassed either, however 6 wins and you have qualified for a NZ Cup start?

Di Caprio is more known as a grass tracker isnt it?

This years cup field is very very weak and you are dreaming if you are expecting anything outside  the first 4 favourites are going to win!

Certainly has continued to lose its gloss over recent years!

Hope everyone has a good day on the punt and the NZ TAB is more generous than normal with letting fixed odds punters on!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

How are the ranking worked out ????

You look at the Dominion, at Kaikoura Midnight Dash runs 3rd in decent field but really only due to 3 better horses galloping for various reasons but Midnight Dash moves up 8 spots from 22 to 14..... yes pretty much gets into the Dominion on that so so run.

Destiny Jones terribly out of form due but due to horses pulling out actually moves up the rankings.

Matua Tana is a sensational trotter but how many times can you gallop in races stuffing up other horses and not get time on the sidelines. 

32 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

the rules are pretty clear - Destiny Jones was placed in Group 1 races last season and stays high in the rankings because of that - we were just pleased that Dark Horse is above the cut off if 3 horses below her were placed on Cup Day

Fair call... my major gripe is a 3rd in a group 3 in my opinion shouldn't equate to such a huge jump in the rankings.

I was a little surprised that Sundees Sun won't be in the FFA Tuesday, as much as I want a Williamson trained horse to win the Dominion, if Sundees Sun trots the whole way I can't see him being beaten.

21 hours ago, Brodie said:

It actually looks like a very weak cup field!

There are many in there that you couldnt really call them cup class!!

Punting wise, maiden fields so much better!

Can anyone be bothered betting into the race, just good to have Cup Day happening as too late to cancel now with the deadly Clvid19 back in the Chch community you would think?

I don't think it is a strong field either mate. I think Spankem will probably win, but Self Assured can also win. I think that will be the quinella. I will probably back Ashley Locaz for a place. I like the way the horse is looking, big and strong, he looks more robust than last season. He could place at good odds. Tim Williams will probably drive Ashley Locaz too, that's another plus.

Edited by Davis
  • Like 1