Bit Of A Yarn

Nathan Purdon off to Aussie

Trotsfan

One that Mark has a share in, is here in Brisbane . TURN IT UP. 

He has drawn 2 this week in our first summer G3 feature , with other old Allstars horse ONE CHANGE drawn 1. Quinella??seems likely.

They will make their way down to Nathan in Vic after the Brisbane summer carnival no doubt.

COLT THIRTY ONE will have to be at his best to beat those 2 draws on Saturday night. 

Interestingly another kiwi is in against those three as well. ..............after very average NZ form NURBURGRING turned up in August in Brisbane. He's Going like a Train with 6 wins, 3 seconds in 10 Brissy starts.!!!  Open class will be bit tougher now though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

interesting story on hrnz  about Nathan going to train in Victoria . saying he is going to miss all the top horses he was training in partnership . what were there names? I can only come up with one name Krug

I just don't get how he commits to a training partnership and then a few months later ups and goes to Aussie. 

Has Cran got his licence back yet so he can help Chrissy Dalgety?

Not much logic in harness this year.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I just don't get how he commits to a training partnership and then a few months later ups and goes to Aussie.

A few months? Full 19/20 Season in partnership with cran, half this season, plus a decent amount of time before that working for Kentuckiana.

He's young and it's a very exciting opportunity for not only Nathan but also his partner Mikayla who is a Junior Driver and will no doubt get more opportunities in Australia with the way their concession claims are done.

I personally don't blame him for jumping at a opportunity overseas, new adventure and the Victorian Harness Racing Scene is going quite well at the moment, has great marketing and promotional. Infact HRV Marketing & Promotions, lead by Cody Winnell are the leaders in that area when comparing it to all other states in Aus and what we do in NZ. 

Emma Stewart, Victoria's leading trainer is taking a wee bit of a step back from Harness and moving into Thoroughbred pretraining, and I'd say Nathan, along with Marks advice has seen there appears to be a gap in the Victoria market and probably some of Mark's Aus based owners too.

It's a shame for our code to lose Nathan, as it is if we lose any young person overseas or out of the game, we're starting to see good progress in the NZ Harness Scene with content and coverage etc. Here's hoping it continues to improve and we can offer an attractive industry here which doesn't have some of our brightest stars looking overseas for options.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

6 minutes ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

A few months? Full 19/20 Season in partnership with cran, half this season, plus a decent amount of time before that working for Kentuckiana.

He's young and it's a very exciting opportunity for not only Nathan but also his partner Mikayla who is a Junior Driver and will no doubt get more opportunities in Australia with the way their concession claims are done.

I personally don't blame him for jumping at a opportunity overseas, new adventure and the Victorian Harness Racing Scene is going quite well at the moment, has great marketing and promotional. Infact HRV Marketing & Promotions, lead by Cody Winnell are the leaders in that area when comparing it to all other states in Aus and what we do in NZ. 

Emma Stewart, Victoria's leading trainer is taking a wee bit of a step back from Harness and moving into Thoroughbred pretraining, and I'd say Nathan, along with Marks advice has seen there appears to be a gap in the Victoria market and probably some of Mark's Aus based owners too.

It's a shame for our code to lose Nathan, as it is if we lose any young person overseas or out of the game, we're starting to see good progress in the NZ Harness Scene with content and coverage etc. Here's hoping it continues to improve and we can offer an attractive industry here which doesn't have some of our brightest stars looking overseas for options.

It must be bloody hard to make a buck here as a trainer unless you've got 20 plus horses and frequent winners you'd think, take out Krug and the partnership looks pretty ordinary results wise but it ain't easy to find good horses and when you see the prize money in Victoria you'd be there in a flash - one thing Kentuckiana were excellent at was communication and proper website updates.

Andrew

I've seen 3 articles re this move which is the way it should be, but why would the harness media cover this story but totally ignore the Mitchell Kerr step down which is a week old now?,as human's we are curious people but also we like to be supplied real facts so to put to bed the rumours. On the other hand we have no god given right to someone's personal life/choices but in a million dollar business propped up by us punters industry confidence is a major influence in betting turnover.

• Like 5
  • Bad Post 1

10 minutes ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

A few months?

How long was he in the new training partnership with Chrissie Dalgety? August?

I figure when Cran gives up his license and the horses are no longer trained by him then the alliance formed by Nathan and Chrissie is new but you may disagree.

Why did Cran, who I see on the Kentuckiana website is the proprietor and in charge of communications give up his license?

Has this move by Nathan Purdon forced / encouraged him to come back to training?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

Content and coverage doesn't cover the crap underneath it all.

From my point of view as an avid follower of harness racing I am sick of the bias of the harness media. Most of the bias is by the omission of information. From Holden at the top, the RIU, the TAB and to those who cover harness like the Box Seat who just glide over the negatives or never mention them and just pretend everything is AOK. We, out here in harness land, are not suckers and until the industry openly addresses the negatives you will never have  an attractive industry.

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 3

10 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

From my point of view as an avid follower of harness racing I am sick of the bias of the harness media. Most of the bias is by the omission of information. From Holden at the top, the RIU, the TAB and to those who cover harness like the Box Seat who just glide over the negatives or never mention them and just pretend everything is AOK. We, out here in harness land, are not suckers and until the industry openly addresses the negatives you will never have  an attractive industry.

loyalty to their mates often prioritised 

• Like 3

Well after the shock of seeing  the Mark Jones pair beat an Allstars pair on Friday night at Addington.

Here is COLT THIRTY ONE winning yet again, at Albion last night, downing the Allstars pair TURN IT UP and ONE CHANGE .

What a magnificent horse he is! Allstars were drawn 1 and 2 as well, making it even more meritorious.

You can Feel the harness racing 'Guard' changing already without Mark and Nat. .. 

DSC02026.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nathan ready to go !! has 12 in work . 9 are two year olds ! and also Spellbound one month off racing.

the first one CAPTN ME racing tomorrow night at Cranbourne in 2 year old maiden.

Anthony Butt engaged to drive. 

Purdon and Butt . sounds like a WINNING combo to me !!! 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Has Cran got his licence back yet so he can help Chrissy Dalgety?

Not much logic in harness this year.

What wise words from a former contributor

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

What wise words from a former contributor

I don't think so Flash. It's a brilliant move from the young man NP, to the Victorian Landscape. much more opportunity for winners than chasing Cullen's around (in blistering times) at Addington and that. Lots of races and not going as quick flattening the horses, so he should do very well.

And didn't leave Chrissie in the lurch. as Cran is still there and made a sound return Training already. 

All seems very Logical.  

• Like 1