Bit Of A Yarn

Team Driving Tonight at Alexandra Park?

Noodlum

Maybe we could add that to our Harness Selections page 😛 Just joking - being cheeky monkey.

We still need 1 more poster, so we have 3 teams of 4 posters. Anyone, anyone 😊

PS I have no idea what the actual rule states in HRNZ rule book re team/stable driving/assisting. I would quite like to see/read it.

32 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Maybe we could add that to our Harness Selections page 😛 Just joking - being cheeky monkey.

We still need 1 more poster, so we have 3 teams of 4 posters. Anyone, anyone 😊

PS I have no idea what the actual rule states in HRNZ rule book re team/stable driving/assisting. I would quite like to see/read it.

You running a comp Karrots,dont think I'm a dummy but I dont read all the threads here

17 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

You running a comp Karrots,dont think I'm a dummy but I dont read all the threads here

Have never thought of you as a dummy, more funny than dummy. Chief started a harness selections area. Go to Trots, click on arrow down, and Harness punting selections appears. Then click on Alex Park NYE & post your selections there. Chief has posted there will be prizes, so just helping him with ideas for prizes and how a comp for the Harness side could work to get it started and going.

Take a look and feel free to add in any ideas. And your selections then I can add you to Team 3 😄

18 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Have never thought of you as a dummy, more funny than dummy. Chief started a harness selections area. Go to Trots, click on arrow down, and Harness punting selections appears. Then click on Alex Park NYE & post your selections there. Chief has posted there will be prizes, so just helping him with ideas for prizes and how a comp for the Harness side could work to get it started and going.

Take a look and feel free to add in any ideas. And your selections then I can add you to Team 3 😄

Will have a go if its only one per race.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Will have a go if its only one per race.

Cool. Yip just 1 per race. Looking at doing it over 6 months til 31 July 21.  End of season winner gets a prize & also to possibly do draw too, so all participants are still are in with a chance to win a  prize via draw for participation.

Looking at doing a ladder type thing. Not sure just whatever will be easiest and works best. Teams for prize comp would likely be too hard to deliver. So most likely teams for tonight just for fun & see how we go against the actual expert selectors.

Its grading round tonight. So folks get your selections in 😄

4 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Any bets that we will see some team driving at Alex Park tonight?

The way Karrots is making all  'Selection Teams" the "driving Teams' tonight are paling into insignificance... lol.

I'm All For team driving for MY TEAM only.!!!... lol. None of this helping 'someone elses team' BS .......

18 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

The way Karrots is making all  'Selection Teams" the "driving Teams' tonight are paling into insignificance... lol.

I'm All For team driving for MY TEAM only.!!!... lol. None of this helping 'someone elses team' BS .......

The Gamms competitive streak comes out. Love it. 

We on same team Gamms. Team 2 lol. I need to go back & check which horses I selected 😁 

Not long til the action begins. Last NZ Harness meeting for 2020. Will we see team driving ... Will we not ... ?

I'll keep planting seeds for fab prizes for Chief to follow up in hehe. Thoughts become things 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Karrots said:

We on same team Gamms. Team 2 lol. I need to go back & check which horses I selected 😁 

Not long til the action begins. Last NZ Harness meeting for 2020. Will we see team driving ... Will we not ... ?

I'll keep planting seeds for fab prizes for Chief to follow up in hehe. Thoughts become things 😉

Probably somewhere the All Stars drivers have got the results written down on a paper,just so they other members of team know which ones to back lol

1 minute ago, Karrots said:

Yeah just having fun with it as always Karrots !

Hahaha Gammalite Never Ever ever went into a race without a plan or thought that I could win it. 

Team driving is very tricky indeed , (IS HARD ENOUGH driving your own one let alone worrying about what someone else is doing) Once tried to cart a stablemate into it the last lap at Gold Coast, but as we peeled for home and the horse came off my back , I realised it wasn't my Stablemate (wrong bridle hahaha ) at all as the horse inside me in the running managed to push out as I took off 3 wide, and I took him into it instead !!! hehehe. It ran 2nd , me 3rd, leader held on. 

Gammalite copping earful from stablemate driver for taking off to quick down the back straight hehehe lol.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Probably somewhere the All Stars drivers have got the results written down on a paper,just so they other members of team know which ones to back lol

Aren't they all quite wealthy already? I mean,  As in No need to punt on them. Think they get the fun from the competition and winning the races rather than the Punt, IMO anyway.

Whether The race plans are on paper or Not I can tell you what they are already already !!!!   

They are: to have as many ALLSTARS runners up in the placings as humanely possible ,  lol   ......  and they are very very very good at getting that result too ! Fabulous. !

• Bad Post 1

21 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Once tried to cart a stablemate into it the last lap at Gold Coast, but as we peeled for home and the horse came off my back , I realised it wasn't my Stablemate (wrong bridle hahaha ) at all as the horse inside me in the running managed to push out as I took off 3 wide, and I took him into it instead !!! hehehe. It ran 2nd , me 3rd, leader held on. 

Gammalite copping earful from stablemate driver for taking off to quick down the back straight hehehe lol.

😂

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Aren't they all quite wealthy already? I mean,  As in No need to punt on them. Think they get the fun from the competition and winning the races rather than the Punt, IMO anyway.

Whether The race plans are on paper or Not I can tell you what they are already already !!!!   

They are: to have as many ALLSTARS runners up in the placings as humanely possible ,  lol   ......  and they are very very very good at getting that result too ! Fabulous. !

Like it or not in reality as they work the horses and know them inside out they must pretty well know the results before they leave home,maybe the odd hot pot getting trapped on the rail or something helps another,who would know,they have good horses but one wonders.

15 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Like it or not in reality as they work the horses and know them inside out they must pretty well know the results before they leave home,maybe the odd hot pot getting trapped on the rail or something helps another,who would know,they have good horses but one wonders.

No , they don't know the results before they leave home. That is IMPOSSIBLE. things happen.

Most trainers work the horses themselves, so know their horses pretty well. Same advantage for everyone you know.

e.g CHICAGO BULL is widely regarded as one of the best in Aus . since Easter has had 21 starts for 16 wins and 6 seconds.   the starting odds when 2nd were   $1.85, $1.26, $1.45, $1.26, $2.15 , $1.38  . Things happen Mikie , you don't know the result , whatever the odds. 

KING Of SWING has the odd second placing , as does Lochinvar ART, the 2 very best racing  currently. 

You can't Win ALL the time (unless you are Black Caviar)

Your very best ,SELF ASSURED was second his last 2 Aussie runs, 'You don't know the result' is a certainty..... lol 

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Yeah just having fun with it as always Karrots !

Hahaha Gammalite Never Ever ever went into a race without a plan or thought that I could win it. 

Team driving is very tricky indeed , (IS HARD ENOUGH driving your own one let alone worrying about what someone else is doing) Once tried to cart a stablemate into it the last lap at Gold Coast, but as we peeled for home and the horse came off my back , I realised it wasn't my Stablemate (wrong bridle hahaha ) at all as the horse inside me in the running managed to push out as I took off 3 wide, and I took him into it instead !!! hehehe. It ran 2nd , me 3rd, leader held on. 

Reminds me when I won the West Coast Secondary Schools 800m (and 1,500m) at Westport (one before lunch the other after!). 

Westland High had its best athletic team in decades and we all hatched a plan to get as many points as possible in our events and take the School Championship title.  Even if it meant a bit of team driving.

One of my mates was a distance runner and knew I had a good chance in the 800m and 1,500m but was a bit green having bloomed late. 

So the plan was he would lead and set a solid pace (he had no sprint) and I would slot in the trail.  He said he would move out (a cart width) and give me the inside run just before they started sprinting for home.

Half way down the back straight he moves out taking a couple out wider with him and yelling at me to "Go now, go now!"  I thought shit I wasn't planning on going this early!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Reminds me when I won the West Coast Secondary Schools 800m (and 1,500m) at Westport (one before lunch the other after!). 

Westland High had its best athletic team in decades and we all hatched a plan to get as many points as possible in our events and take the School Championship title.  Even if it meant a bit of team driving.

One of my mates was a distance runner and knew I had a good chance in the 800m and 1,500m but was a bit green having bloomed late. 

So the plan was he would lead and set a solid pace (he had no sprint) and I would slot in the trail.  He said he would move out (a cart width) and give me the inside run just before they started sprinting for home.

Half way down the back straight he moves out taking a couple out wider with him and yelling at me to "Go now, go now!"  I thought shit I wasn't planning on going this early!

I remember on Hokanui Gold radio when Jamie Mackay was on it,Sargeant dan came on at 10 to 8 every morning with a lot of funny shit,one morning he was saying about the athletics he was in,the 4 ×100 relay,2 runners didn't turn up so the other 2 runners ran it on their own Dan ran the 2 and and fourth leg the other guy the 1st and 3rd,just picture that scenario

That was funny shit in those days,Dan's old man who had been made redundant from the railways use to watch the rugby sitting out on the street outside selectrix watching it on their tv,funny times aye,all good bullshit.

• Haha 2

Hey some good news for Natalie with the Team driving!!!

Sister Kylie Rasmussen had 3 drives at Redcliffe this afternoon . 3 Wins ! What a great team effort.

If you've got it , flaunt it , and win it. !!... All in the family lol....

hope Kylie has given Natalie 'confidence' for the Auckland Cup now.

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, Karrots said:

😛

Logged in on ph just to watch AKL Cup. Could someone please guide me to or towards HRNZ for definition of what is and what is not currently acceptable for stable driving/assisting. Most appreciated. Thanks. 

12 hours ago, Karrots said:

Logged in on ph just to watch AKL Cup. Could someone please guide me to or towards HRNZ for definition of what is and what is not currently acceptable for stable driving/assisting. Most appreciated. Thanks. 

I suppose it was their last nite, so they made the most of it. 
The funny race was Aladins , seems the All Star drivers were all a little confused early in race, forgetting who was supposed to win, so changing positions several times. 
Cup was what expected, they all wanted to be on the rails, so set up all of their runners. 

This will be the last time we see this, thankfully it will be more fair racing from now on. Yay, must make other owners & trainers smile

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

The funny race was Aladins , seems the All Star drivers were all a little confused early in race, forgetting who was supposed to win, so changing positions several times. 
Cup was what expected, they all wanted to be on the rails, so set up all of their runners. 

This will be the last time we see this, thankfully it will be more fair racing from now on. Yay, must make other owners & trainers smile

Morning Newmarket and hello 2021 🎈

Here is to the start of a new chapter 🍀

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Watching those 2 races you had to think they were able to team drive because of the tactics of other drivers. In the 3yo race,had zac butcher stayed one off the fence then shan noble would have remained stuck on the fence,behind first class who it was obvious had burnt a bit too hard early so as to enable shan nobles chances. Maybe he thought 4 back the fence following first class was better than sitting on the outside behind the inevitable cover that came mid race.

Then in the cup you had spankem locked up 3 back the fence ,but herlihy seemed quite happy to let it off the fence by easing back when parked. Of course herlihy then pulled back and let copy that off the fence,which worked in his favour,but surely having the first 2 favorites 3 and 4 back the fence like they were after 1000m was a better move. 

But you see that in so many races where there is no team driving. Favourites being let off bad positions 3 back the fence when you know that move will result in the favorite then going to the front,and the horse who let them off chances become even worse. 

• Like 1

The racing at Alexandra Park last night was pretty boring!

When you are having 6 horse fields and racing for good stakes you know that all is  not right!
Perhaps there might be more South Island horses go up there for  Premier nights now that one stable has pulled up sticks, but Hayden Cullen may well continue if he has the horse flesh

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

The racing at Alexandra Park last night was pretty boring!

When you are having 6 horse fields and racing for good stakes you know that all is  not right!
Perhaps there might be more South Island horses go up there for  Premier nights now that one stable has pulled up sticks, but Hayden Cullen may well continue if he has the horse flesh

I watched the replays earlier. Yes, most races predictable but I think boring a bit strong mate. There were some impressive performances. Sundee's Son was magnificent. The Dunns have made a great job with this horse, he seems to improve which each campaign and more to come. Alladin I think was a T Williams special. I think he hasn't learnt from Natalie how to get the best out of a horse close to the line. He asked the horse for an effort at exactly the right time something Natalie Rasmussen has done countless times. Bolt For Brilliance was impressive I thought. He wasn't going to beat Sundee Sun but he still ran on and was still coming at the line. He'll be a better horse next season, probably #1 then? Bettor Twist, what a tough horse she is, she reminds me of the dour staying mares of old, Blossom Lady etc, she just keeps giving. Williams drove her well but he was beaten by a horse with a  very soft run. 

• Like 1