Bit Of A Yarn

Farewell Purdons, Results Tonite??

Newmarket

4 hours ago, Basil said:

The usual classless comment from someone whose own mother wouldn't miss him.

FWIW (and I realise that's not much), I will miss the All Stars a lot, as will anyone who likes to see horses reach their full potential. The consequences will be enormous — forget NZ pacers winning regularly in Oz, and be prepared for the return of 4 minute-plus Cups. Sure, some mediocre talents will get their chance to pick up a few undeserved scraps, and Brodie will see more 'value' in big races, but that's a poor return on what will be lost. 

Basil, firstly your comment in regards to Hunter’s mother not missing him, is a clear sign of your opinions not being worth a pinch of dog shit!!!!

Basil, some people are easily accepting of things and let us see how Hayden Cullen performs at the AllStars stables!

What on earth js wrong with 4 minute NZ Cups, far preferable than 
one stable winning  it every year!

I cant get much on any race whether it be a maiden or a Cup race, so that wont affect Brodie.

However, it will be great not  to have The Trackside presenters and interviewers wanking on about the AllStars.

Hopefully Mark and Natalie enjoy their extended  time off!

Wouldnt be surprised to see Tim Williams go out on his own training and I know he will be very successful.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Gidday Newmarket, Through the threads I can see Hardly any support for the ALLstars , your NZ Champions?

very deflating in a way, and even get downvotes if say they do Fabulous (which is true) and aim to get as many runners into placings as possible (obviously true) 

I cheer for our locals e.g COLT THIRTY ONE the other day in QLD christmas Cup but it was beaten by an ALLstars horse. I admire their attention to detail and records galore. ?? and suck up the loss ok.

My question is (because you have a lot of posts so know something) with the Not a Lot of love for the champions through all these threads, 

DO you think they appreciate the Team WALLER in the galloping field? What is your opinion? He tends to have a lot of runners in one race and no doubt a lot of 'riding instructions' bandy around from Chris. Does NZ appreciate him?

I support them. They have had a great run, it will probably be never bettered, but now it is the turn of someone else to step up and take over as NZ premier trainer. Who will it be?

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Basil, firstly your comment in regards to Hunter’s mother not missing him, is a clear sign of your opinions not being worth a pinch of dog shit!!!!

Basil, some people are easily accepting of things and let us see how Hayden Cullen performs at the AllStars stables!

What on earth js wrong with 4 minute NZ Cups, far preferable than 
one stable winning  it every year!

I cant get much on any race whether it be a maiden or a Cup race, so that wont affect Brodie.

However, it will be great not  to have The Trackside presenters and interviewers wanking on about the AllStars.

Hopefully Mark and Natalie enjoy their extended  time off!

Wouldnt be surprised to see Tim Williams go out on his own training and I know he will be very successful.

Yes, I can see a few owners trying their horses with Tim Williams. I think the AS horses will be share around more now. No disrespect to Mr Cullen who I don't know much about. But he still has to prove himself. He's got the best trainer setup in Australasia so he has that advantage. Can he maintain the AS strike rate?

31 minutes ago, Davis said:

Yes, I can see a few owners trying their horses with Tim Williams. I think the AS horses will be share around more now. No disrespect to Mr Cullen who I don't know much about. But he still has to prove himself. He's got the best trainer setup in Australasia so he has that advantage. Can he maintain the AS strike rate?

No he can not  maintain the same strike rate, unless he adopts the same training advantages that the AllStars used, and I do not believe he will be doing that!
Do not know Hayden Cullen but there is no way that any trainer operating legally can ever dominate harness racing again like the AllStars have for such a long time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brodie said:

No he can not  maintain the same strike rate, unless he adopts the same training advantages that the AllStars used, and I do not believe he will be doing that!
Do not know Hayden Cullen but there is no way that any trainer operating legally can ever dominate harness racing again like the AllStars have for such a long time.

And let's not forget the horse training and driving knowledge of Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen that will be lost. Cullen has not got that, never will. There are few trainers around now with that sort of knowledge, R & B Purdon, A Herlihy, Dunns. 

Another thing the stable did was blood new drivers. The likes of B Orange and T Williams learned their craft with the AS. 

Personally, I think the loss of the AS is a shame but I know why they've done it. Who can blame them. The industry will carry on regardless and some one will take over the top spot and dominate in a two or three seasons time. Who will that be... Tim Williams? Blair Orange might go out on his own? Regan Todd, Kirsten Barclay, Amanda Hoffman, Alister Black, Brett Gray, K & T Barron, Townley will get better stock from ex-AS owners and they are good enough to get the horse to its potential. 

A more important question: Will Brodie be unbanned in 2021?

2 hours ago, Davis said:

All stars couldn't maintain there strike rate. This seasons udr the worse one in the partnership!

20 minutes ago, Blossom lady said:

All stars couldn't maintain there strike rate. This seasons udr the worse one in the partnership!

Agreed but they didn't have the dominating stock like they usually do. None of the three years old, except Bettor Twist, were as good as past AS crops.

56 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

Robert dunn

Not sure. He seems the logical choice but they already have a huge workload. Can they maintain that or even increase it in the next two to three seasons? I think someone like T. Williams, M Purvis, Regan Todd could dominate?

• Like 1

The Dunns will win the premiership in NZ for the next few seasons, providing they stay at the beach and have another team in Auckland.

They are a very good partnership and have some very well heeled owners who will continue with them now that the AllStars are gone.

Will not disclose anything on a public forum but from very good source there are other reasons for the ceasing of the partnership!

Time will certainly tell if there is anything in it going by what happens when Mr Cullen takes over!

• Champ Post 1

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Come on Brodie don't tell me you are susceptible to the old Harness Rumour Mill?

Chief, it is not just rumours, pretty validated and obvious really!

Yes there are always big knockers, but lets just see what happens with the results that come out in the future from the barn.

2 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

I disagree.  They started out slow this season and I feel the Covid-19 lockdown impacted that start.  However the last 6-8 weeks they have been flying and their UDR has climbed right back up.

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I disagree.  They started out slow this season and I feel the Covid-19 lockdown impacted that start.  However the last 6-8 weeks they have been flying and their UDR has climbed right back up.

It's written in black and white on hrnz site. This season's udr is the lowest of the Purdon/Rasmussen partnership. No point trying to argue against that!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blossom lady said:

It's written in black and white on hrnz site. This season's udr is the lowest of the Purdon/Rasmussen partnership. No point trying to argue against that!

You didn't read my post.  I'll repeat they started slow this season largely due to Covid-19.  The last 6 to 8 weeks they have been flying to the point where the last time I looked their UDR was over 0.4000.  Which considering the number of starts is miles ahead of any other large stable.  These last 6 to 8 weeks their UDR must have been incredible to drag their average up from earlier in the season.

Their Group and black type wins are light years ahead of anyone else as is the total stakes won.

Just checked again their UDR is 0.4060.  Stakes won is $1,800,000.  $800,000 ahead of the Dunn stable i.e. nearly double.  Not bad for a so called "bad year".  Geez they still may end up topping the stakes won table at the end of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You didn't read my post.  I'll repeat they started slow this season largely due to Covid-19.  The last 6 to 8 weeks they have been flying to the point where the last time I looked their UDR was over 0.4000.  Which considering the number of starts is miles ahead of any other large stable.  These last 6 to 8 weeks their UDR must have been incredible to drag their average up from earlier in the season.

Their Group and black type wins are light years ahead of anyone else as is the total stakes won.

Just checked again their UDR is 0.4060.  Stakes won is $1,800,000.  $800,000 ahead of the Dunn stable i.e. nearly double.  Not bad for a so called "bad year".  Geez they still may end up topping the stakes won table at the end of the season.

I don't care how you try to spin things. This seasons udr is still the lowest of the Purdon/Rasmussen partnership.

End of story.

8 minutes ago, Blossom lady said:

I don't care how you try to spin things. This seasons udr is still the lowest of the Purdon/Rasmussen partnership.

End of story.

Not spinning anything just giving you the facts.  Those facts look pretty impressive to me and anyone else who doesn't have an axe to grind.

End of story.

• Like 1