Bit Of A Yarn

Senz Radio,thoughts.

Thomas is just " a ghost in the machine " now , appears randomly and unannounced . You will only know he's been by his emoji .

We have talked to Bill Murray and he is putting his team together and will be here as soon as the bubble is burst .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

Hey Thomas, how yuh going, your'v been a bit quiet lately. Have they jabbed you yet?. Noticed you have liked a couple of my posts, do you really, or are you just having fun?. Cheers.

Thought might been geting all excited that his mate LJM is standing for Mayor! geting ready to join him on the streets, campaigning for him!

I think the racing on a saturday afternoon has a bit of the glass half full tone around it,we have become use to the aussie gallops that the problem is that the real hardcore racing fans will either be watching on tv or maybe tuning in through the apps,websites,ideally a super saturday with the nz racing coupled up with the main aussie gallops would be ideal running from say 12 pm untjl 7 or 7 30,maybe it will happen in time,maybe not,they have a morning show which seems ok and they actually have a punters club where people can text in and if selected have a chance for some free money,that is one way to attract some new interest.

I believe they had commentaries from Oamaru on sunday,we need to be well informed about what's on,senz will survive best if they cater for a wide range of interest and to attract racing folk they need I believe a trackside radio on saturday and maybe public holidays that we have been accustomed to,their sports talk with Ian Smith and that will probably do ok,there is a bit of something for everyone I guess but it's a work in progress.

Senz are not like the TAB who are driven by turnover,they are driven by ratings as in listeners,we are kind of adjusting now to our racing listening habits,some watch tv,some listen to  it through the websites,apps etc etc and some like myself just dont bother much now,if there is a specific race I want to hear then I would go out of my way to hear it otherwise not bothered really,i do watch trackside but only if i got nought else to do,i dont plan my life around it.

It's probably a moot point if radio will increase turnover but if it's more available to the general public then it may raise the numbers who follow racing,that has to be a positive,and may reverse the flagging interest,just remember this time last week no one gave a rat's arse about the Olympics,now that it's under way we are all taking notice and radio plays a big part in our info,it plays a much bigger part in our mindset then some would realise.

That's my spin on things for now.

• Like 1

Had it on for 30mins going to and from Otaki races , MEH , not going to help increase turnover but better than nothing when in the car . Can't see the point to not broadcasting races before 1pm , but about sums up NZ racing , it's racing but not as we know it . 

Love the fact that when the industry is battling for dollars the TAB can give the announcers 1k to punt with every Saturday , i know it's only a drop in the ocean , well pond in our case , but it just doesn't sit right with me , not in the current climate . 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see how many people are getting their info at present  for the olympics  from radio because apart from people who live in rest homes most of us have got things to do.

Which leads me to my next statement as to how much better a trackside radio programme like we once had at weekends would seem smarter,tv1 at present are providing what I think is pretty good coverage on tv which focuses mostly what's of interest to us here in NZ after that then whatever is on is on I guess.

This is the same we need for racing radio,nought wrong with NZ racing but it needs to be in conjunction with the main thourafare from aussie as well,then you engage all your audience in one place,gee even if they had the late ,quaddies from the 3 or 4 main meetings from oz would be a start,judging by the pool sizes that suggest they have the most betting interest.

Punters clubs are fine if it attract more interest from maybe not so racing people,more commentaries that cater for hardcore racing people means a larger audience,which means better rating for senz,everyones a winner,everyones happy.

Everything here is a work in progress,next week is Riccarton,that is one meeting that is of interest to me,probably be working ,probably listening too,it is true that our thoughts at present are on the olympics,one wonder bow much that affect racing.

Does anybody know if TeAroha is on radio today.

You mean a service something like 18 months ago , whilst not world class it fulfilled a need , and while many will tell you it was costing the industry too much , the lack of broadcasting coverage is costing the industry far more thru lost customers hence lost revenue and a channel for bringing on new customers .

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Everything here is a work in progress

Has been for years but certain decisions has made it more of a mountain to climb . But i'm staying positive that we have the personnel to climb that mountain , eh hem , honestly .

Edited by nomates
spelling
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nomates said:

You mean a service something like 18 months ago , whilst not world class it fulfilled a need , and while many will tell you it was costing the industry too much , the lack of broadcasting coverage is costing the industry far more thru lost customers hence lost revenue and a channel for bringing on new customers .

Has been for years but certain decisions has made it more of a mountain to climb . But i'm staying positive that we have the personnel to climb that mountain , eh hem , honestly .

As I stated since radio went I dont know what races are on in oz,if I turn on tv I just watch whatevers doing,but I'm always aware of our own stuff,we should be loyal to our own firstly.

And in some ways not spending so much time following races ain't so bad,it can be addictive,both gambling and watching,there are other things in life as well.

Edited by mikeynz

On 1/08/2021 at 1:27 PM, nomates said:

Love the fact that when the industry is battling for dollars the TAB can give the announcers 1k to punt with every Saturday , i know it's only a drop in the ocean , well pond in our case , but it just doesn't sit right with me , not in the current climate . 

Yes every time I've tuned in the TAB is giving away something. So I ask how much is the TAB going to budget on spending with SENZ. Plus how much less advertising revenue do the clubs, trackside etc rake in due to SENZ grabbing it. 

They cost cut every form of information to the punter along with radio coverage and have turned trackside into budget TV , they have laid this cost back on the industry , but they still find the budget to advertise on many different TV channels for sports betting , we are but a back water in NZ sports . 

2 hours ago, nomates said:

They cost cut every form of information to the punter along with radio coverage and have turned trackside into budget TV , they have laid this cost back on the industry , but they still find the budget to advertise on many different TV channels for sports betting , we are but a back water in NZ sports . 

I think the budget tv,as in no on course prenters seem to come about in oz when covid struck,some days when I'm watching tv and that ain't often some of the guys in the studio dont appear too enthusiastic. 

As for senz one or two of the old trackside sports announcers are back in work,I dont listen too much,Ian Smith is ok,dont think much of the others,just my thoughts,they are close to the TAB as in dishing out bonus bets of course no point ringing competitions if you dont have a account,all in all though probably a good addition to our radio,let's hope the racing gets better.

10 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I think the budget tv,as in no on course prenters seem to come about in oz when covid struck,some days when I'm watching tv and that ain't often some of the guys in the studio dont appear too enthusiastic. 

Pretty sure oncourse presenters stayed in Ossie even thru covid .

Wouldn't hold your breath on the racing coverage getting better on SENZ , but we can always hope .

13 minutes ago, nomates said:

Pretty sure oncourse presenters stayed in Ossie even thru covid .

Wouldn't hold your breath on the racing coverage getting better on SENZ , but we can always hope .

Ian Smith does his show from home,I think some of the others do too,lots of sports is broadcast from studios or home,no need to travel all over the place,probably a lot dont mind working from home.

• 2 weeks later...

The show Racing Tales I think it was called was a good listen on Sunday morning,Gerard Fell i think it was guest for this week. More shows like that will appeal and the young guy who does the show appears to be a talented and engaging broadcaster. 

Half the time I tune in to senz it's just reruns ,why they don't dedicate a proper Raceday coverage is beyond me,it's no problem having cricket for about 8 hours non stop,why not racing,they don't have commentaries or anything from Aussie,if the TAB could broadcast races what's the problem then,people who are diehard race followers will get their blanket coverage off the simulcast on website or rova app,senz app,etc etc if they want to push their rating then first thing is to pull their finger out of their fucking arsehole.

• Like 2

Just looking through senz radio programming for this arvo, 2 till 5 or 6 of the good oil which will probably be all talk as there is no nz racing then after that a rerun of the Saturday session, that's the sports talk before the racing,why not just a few more hours of racing?

Unless you have a proper racing coverage as was the old trackside how will you drag the audience in,they will just listen or watch elsewhere.

One thing I noticed is tv 1 when they covered the Olympics did a good job of it, their coverage was based around what was of most interest to people in nz.

No reason why senz cant have trackside type programming for 8 hours or so at least on Saturdays and holidays broadcasting what is of most interest to the nz audience, which is nz racing  and the main meetings in oz, surely it can't be that difficult. by doing that you only need to be in one place all day, seems simple.

As I've stated before putting things on apps on smartphones is fine but heaps of times when I'm working it's just not so easy to do that, same for others I would say as well.

Just to add and it seems I'm talking to myself here lol, the question was asked about commentaries from Ozzie, guy on the radio said they are working on it so it seems at this point it's not their failing.

On another note I think they are having a new show tomorrow for the harness followers so things are getting better, be fair to say all these programmes you can listen too through the website when it's suits.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing from yesterday they need to work on , is to stop cutting out the race call to celebrate a punting win or talk about their punts,  not sure if other feel the same but I simply don't care about their punts but I do want to hear where the horse I backed has finished or what's running on etc!