Bit Of A Yarn

Senz Radio,thoughts.

12 minutes ago, Huey said:

One thing from yesterday they need to work on , is to stop cutting out the race call to celebrate a punting win or talk about their punts,  not sure if other feel the same but I simply don't care about their punts but I do want to hear where the horse I backed has finished or what's running on etc!

I've only listened to it a couple of times and it came cross as more of lads show , that was early on so don't know if it has improved .

It should be about their listeners , the punters and the horses . It's like those dweebs on Trackside who week on week try to show they have any idea about punting , christ they must have mortgaged their homes by now if they are putting their own cash on .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, nomates said:

I've only listened to it a couple of times and it came cross as more of lads show , that was early on so don't know if it has improved .

No that hasn't changed, it is more BGP than Racing.com unfortunately for me just too much talk about their punting club or whatever it is, I just wanna listen to the races or a trainer etc. I know the simplicity of such a request will never likely return but one can dream I guess.

• Like 2

Clearly SENZ seem to far more aggressive chasing the advertising dollar. Don't know if I could apply under the Information Act to obtain TAB's spending with SENZ including the bonus giveaways but listening to the NZTR and TAB promos there must be a considerable amount spent even allowing for contra deals. Plus many racing businesses e.g. studs have been rounded up for advertising.

The point is that the cost to TAB + NZTR is now far greater than maintaining a loss in radio previously.

• Bad Post 1

Before they started transmission I did state that their idea of trackside radio was this type of format, a question was asked by a text as to why they don't do the Aussie races, guy on radio said they are working on it, today they did the 2 NZ meetings after one  but there is just a bit too much time between races, the guy fronting the programme used to be on trackside so may be a little frustrated by this format but give them time, the race programmes are longer and they are on sunday as well so let's just see, hopefully it will improve.

To be in the punters club you need to have a TAB account but one thing they should do is let the people who are in the punters club do the picking.

Overall though as a radio setup I think they are ok, I don't listen to them all the time, I don't watch horses on trackside all the time but done right it could do well or at least stay in business.

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Before they started transmission I did state that their idea of trackside radio was this type of format, a question was asked by a text as to why they don't do the Aussie races, guy on radio said they are working on it, today they did the 2 NZ meetings after one  but there is just a bit too much time between races, the guy fronting the programme used to be on trackside so may be a little frustrated by this format but give them time, the race programmes are longer and they are on sunday as well so let's just see, hopefully it will improve.

To be in the punters club you need to have a TAB account but one thing they should do is let the people who are in the punters club do the picking.

Overall though as a radio setup I think they are ok, I don't listen to them all the time, I don't watch horses on trackside all the time but done right it could do well or at least stay in business.

But the question they have to continually be asking is " are we servicing the customer " . The format they have a present IMO isn't , it comes across as lightweight fluff .

If the TAB are having a say on how the content is produced then it wouldn't surprise me , because everything else they produce on Trackside is now lightweight fluff , except the Aussie Sat Metropolitan content , but even that is bastardized a lot of the time .

Some of senz timing for a radio show is a bit hard to fathom, yesty they have a sports talk show, running at the same time as zb had theirs, that zb one is fairly established.

As for racing you just never know what you are going to get, they did the races yesty from both meetings but didn't do the last from Banks Peninsula, after5 and had a  rerun of something else, gee even if they clearly stated that they say for instance did the last 5 races for the day which includes the late quaddie at least you know.

Strange as it is our appetite for the gallops from oz on Saturday, once upon a time all we got on radio was nz racing, never thought anything about it , now because of trackside radio we expect it but the Saturday arvo setup needs to be run like the old trackside, it's just a bit too much  time lagging .

As a radio station they ain't worried about tab turnover but listening numbers, the more that would tune in on a Saturday arvo the better overall result for everyone.

The simple reality is I like a lot of others don't have all day to watch TV nor fluff around with apps, radio is still and will always have its place for many things whether it's news music or sport.

Edited by mikeynz

8 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

I like to hear where all the horses end up. Not cut straight to the chatting amongst themselves. I like to hear the breeding as well and who ran the places.

I’d rate them 1/10.

Unfortunately they like to hear themselves and how they're picks went and what they're picking in the next , and what they had for breakfast , and what they're having for dinner . It's lightweight and achieving nothing for the punter or enhancing turnover , both of which should be the primary objective .

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

As a radio station they ain't worried about tab turnover but listening numbers, the more that would tune in on a Saturday arvo the better overall result for everyone.

Listening numbers yes but more directly adverisers.

They seem to be very aggressive rounding up racing industry businesses. Racing once had it all e.g. radio, TV, internet, printed, on track advertising so they could offer package deals and organise campaigns and expos at the track. Still can but when you pay these bozos massive salaries there no incentive to be proactive.

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

Unfortunately they like to hear themselves and how they're picks went and what they're picking in the next , and what they had for breakfast , and what they're having for dinner . It's lightweight and achieving nothing for the punter or enhancing turnover , both of which should be the primary objective .

I'm not sure if the problem is the people hosting the show or the management behind the scenes, it's the management that needs to get this better, the punters club should include the people in it, the guys in the studio are free to spend someone else's money so don't care,,as you say you like to hear where your horse finishes I note that in America they only ever call the first four, something I have noticed.

They are getting their feed from trackside so it don't matter if some of it overlaps on to the radio, newstalk get their clips of the sky commentary so it don't matter.

There is no guarantee that senz will last long, who knows, yes it probably has a number of listeners but do they have enough, or advertisers that all remains to be seen,. Radio is a fickle business.

23 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I'm not sure if the problem is the people hosting the show or the management behind the scenes, it's the management that needs to get this better, the punters club should include the people in it, the guys in the studio are free to spend someone else's money so don't care,,as you say you like to hear where your horse finishes I note that in America they only ever call the first four, something I have noticed.

They are getting their feed from trackside so it don't matter if some of it overlaps on to the radio, newstalk get their clips of the sky commentary so it don't matter.

There is no guarantee that senz will last long, who knows, yes it probably has a number of listeners but do they have enough, or advertisers that all remains to be seen,. Radio is a fickle business.

Senz will last , just not as a proactive racing industry product , the racing is a side show , it is being done to appease , they know they have royally FU over Trackside radio . Where they said that Trackside radio wasn't financially sustainable they are now truly throwing away good industry funds on this turkey to show that they understand that the industry needs this type of coverage after all , but it's all too late , more birds have flown . 

Look at turnovers , they are horrendous , the lack of radio coverage is a part of this loss of revenue , but they know better . If Trackside was such a bird why are spending money on this , 1k a week on punting alone , they are clueless .

Things are tending down and they are at a complete loss on how to arrest it .

• Fake News! 1

44 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Listening numbers yes but more directly adverisers.

They seem to be very aggressive rounding up racing industry businesses. Racing once had it all e.g. radio, TV, internet, printed, on track advertising so they could offer package deals and organise campaigns and expos at the track. Still can but when you pay these bozos massive salaries there no incentive to be proactive.

Within the current regime it is all too late , for major change there needs to be a complete cleanout at head office . If you went into head office and asked the question , " how many of you listened to Senz racing at the weekend " , how many do you think would answer in the affirmative , they wouldn't even know if it was AM or FM .

That question would be asked after the question , " how many of you watched the RACING at the weekend " , again if any it would be in the single digits , possibly on one hand .

They have no investment in the industry , so why should they care .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

I only listen because it’s my radio set as the old trackside , so I suppose I need to find another talkback channel. Sounds like they have egos, that always ends bad, ask devlin . Turned into a knowall bully.

Ego's , the demise of all who believe they are great .

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Honestjohn said:

I only listen because it’s my radio set as the old trackside , so I suppose I need to find another talkback channel. Sounds like they have egos, that always ends bad, ask devlin . Turned into a knowall bully.

As I explained before when Devlin replaced Telfer on radio sport that's when I stopped listening, after that it was only live commentary on cricket.

Senz at least have got a good announcer in Ian Smith, some may not like him but  he's been there done it and has a mature look at issues.

Here is a question for anyone.......Do you listen to the simulcast of racing on rova or the tab website.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

As I explained before when Devlin replaced Telfer on radio sport that's when I stopped listening, after that it was only live commentary on cricket.

Senz at least have got a good announcer in Ian Smith, some may not like him but  he's been there done it and has a mature look at issues.

Here is a question for anyone.......Do you listen to the simulcast of racing on rova or the tab website.

Devlin turned into a monster the more he got, like that p.o.c veitch, nz is a small place you idiots.

i downloaded rova  but don’t listen. I bet mainly from my phone and I’m loving the awt at Cambridge, got last three winners last week. And the tris. Or in my local the harewood tavern. Great tab and the girls are good at their jobs.

• Like 2

On 19/09/2021 at 7:39 PM, The Centaur said:

The point is that the cost to TAB + NZTR is now far greater than maintaining a loss in radio previously.

Nonsense , can you provide some numbers Slam?. Its well advertised that Trackside Radio was costing old TAB  3 mio a year. 

I spoke to a few Radio Ad guys who said based on prices quoted that both combined would be lucky to spend 300K per annum at current rates. 

6 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Based on Ozzie cash losses by SEOZ you are very likely to be proven right re how long they are around. Hopeless business model in this day and age.

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Wife was as well, say she in HR kept him in longer .Than anyone else in his postion.

Edited by Gospel of Judas

19 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Nonsense , can you provide some numbers Slam?. Its well advertised that Trackside Radio was costing old TAB  3 mio a year. 

I spoke to a few Radio Ad guys who said based on prices quoted that both combined would be lucky to spend 300K per annum at current rates. 

The point is that Racing had the unique situation of having all media covered. Treating radio in isolation made no sense. No other organization in NZ was in that position.  The TAB over paid suits simply had no idea and more importantly no innovative thinking. Their idea of filling in time was air some obscure greyhound race from the backblocks of Australia.

There were so many options where radio could have fitted into the mix but no all they cared about was gambling even if the turnover on a race was less than $100. I'll say it again until the pay structure within racing is fixed racing will continue downwards.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The point is that Racing had the unique situation of having all media covered. Treating radio in isolation made no sense. No other organization in NZ was in that position.  The TAB over paid suits simply had no idea and more importantly no innovative thinking. Their idea of filling in time was air some obscure greyhound race from the backblocks of Australia.

There were so many options where radio could have fitted into the mix but no all they cared about was gambling even if the turnover on a race was less than $100. I'll say it again until the pay structure within racing is fixed racing will continue downwards.

So you cant provide cost figures to back up your assertion below.

On 19/09/2021 at 7:39 PM, The Centaur said:

Highly likely to be incorrect. Trackside radio cost 3 mio a year and was deemed a non performer in terms of revenue generation whilst NZTAB and NZTR are now paying at most 300K combined on SENZ advertising. 

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

So you cant provide cost figures to back up your assertion below.

Highly likely to be incorrect. Trackside radio cost 3 mio a year and was deemed a non performer in terms of revenue generation whilst NZTAB and NZTR are now paying at most 300K combined on SENZ advertising. 

Happy to provide the figures if I can examine the books. Whole trouble whilst examining the books I'd find all the travel, hotel and restaurant "costs" as well.

Like to know how much has TAB management spent at a certain viaduct establishment. When you hear the howls of protest during lockdowns it's invariably those whose eating habits are paid by the "firm" or else are able to deduct the cost as an expense from their tax bill.

The number one priority of racing media should be give the advertiser value not some sort of driver of turnover. Once racing employs genuine business type people who have grafted to get the sponsor then all the better. From that angle Bruce Sharrock may be OK.