Bit Of A Yarn

Senz Radio,thoughts.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:04 PM, nomates said:

But the question they have to continually be asking is " are we servicing the customer " . The format they have a present IMO isn't , it comes across as lightweight fluff .

If the TAB are having a say on how the content is produced then it wouldn't surprise me , because everything else they produce on Trackside is now lightweight fluff , except the Aussie Sat Metropolitan content , but even that is bastardized a lot of the time .

So ok what would you do to make it better?

All in or all out , they were all in , then they were all out , now they're not quite sure , they are jamming they're big toe in the door at the moment .

If they are going to service the punter then get back to providing a proper coverage of racing . 

The simple solution i would have thought was have 2 radio frequencies broadcasting Trackside 1 and 2 on simulcast , it's not hard , it wouldn't be that expensive and it services the punter/customer on a fulltime basis . Don't need separate hosts or any such thing , just a straight feed from the TV shows that are simple to access any time  any place .

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Freda said:

I'm sorry, Mikeynz - but, really, how many really give a shit?  I don't.     Trackside radio was great, we lost it, most have now now become used to not having it, and so the decline trundles on.

Exactly , you could go to them and offer them the lost arc of the covenant and tell them it will solve all your problems and they would say no because it's not in they're plans . Any forward thinking team wouldn't have cut the radio coverage off at the knees the way they did , a smart operator would have made small adjustments over a period of time to see how the market was adjusting and see how it was affecting they're business , but no , it's costing x so let's lose it .

The best part is all i've heard is supposition about how much it cost to run , nothing on paper or figures to show the cost to benefit to the industry , just we are telling you it's a dog so it's gone .

But they can no throw money at Senz for a bog average product , without even knowing if it is financially worth , but then that is they're business model most of the time .

• Like 2

Gee NM by the sound of it you might have run your own business, unfortunately Petone is full of salarymen and women, career salary takers, nothing wrong with wage earners we couldn't;t live without them, but the decision makers at the Taj Mahal and the loon who lived in AUK and thought he was God are to blame for the malaise, losing the race call landline was unfathomable to all....except them, McKenzie and co, back as far as Jackson, all are responsible, I've discussed this with several expat Kiwi's in the industry here, all just shake their heads, imagine if some lunatic pulled the plug on our race media, we ride on the coattails of so may good radio shows racing related, both AM and FM, podcasts and facebook also, but primarily the listening audience to the differing media outlets is impressive with paid advertising and sponsorship growing......how the hell can K2 of waterway AKA Tasman Sea create such a divide in thinking? It's never too late, never, but the obstacle is incumbents at Petone, and until root and branch reform is enacted nothing will change. Messara had some real good points, but in the wash-up he's an Oz billionaire that got rich breeding and trading, not rocket science, and much the same mantra as the northern cartel, putting him on the mantle as BDL did was wrong, closing lovely country tracks wasn't the way, they were financially viable, and safe! building AWT's wasn't the way, just made FH even richer and will result in depleted fields as Waikato is experiencing now. I wont go on you're probably bored and most are over it....so many good people gone, the industry here is chocker with Kiwi's, no sign here of slowing either, so many Kiwi horses arriving each week, most wont go home, if something is not done soon you'll be racing for kumaras like Colin Wightman predicted 15 years ago.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2021 at 9:03 AM, nomates said:

All in or all out , they were all in , then they were all out , now they're not quite sure , they are jamming they're big toe in the door at the moment .

If they are going to service the punter then get back to providing a proper coverage of racing . 

The simple solution i would have thought was have 2 radio frequencies broadcasting Trackside 1 and 2 on simulcast , it's not hard , it wouldn't be that expensive and it services the punter/customer on a fulltime basis . Don't need separate hosts or any such thing , just a straight feed from the TV shows that are simple to access any time  any place .

I personally don't like the simulcast the TAB are doing at the moment, shifting from 1 to 2 and vice versa, it's a hard listen, it's a service but it's just race after race but you do need some stimulating chat,  you probably only listen if there is a specific race you want to hear, you are correct that they should just simulcast the two channels but it won't happen on radio, they don't have any .stations. 

On  days like yesty, that's  Saturday why don't the TAB run a online station, starting say at 11 and finishing about 8, and  relaying it through the senz radio from 1 till say seven, it can't cost much  then revert back to the simulcast, seems simple, strange thing is senz don't have the Ozzie races on radio but are playing them through their app, the thing I find a  bit annoying is when the the good oil finishes at 6 and really a lot of the main racing is just starting they just run a repeat of something else.

The question you ask was is the present setup servicing the punters, it's really just a lukewarm coverage, as you say it's either all or nothing at present it's actually niether.

As one poster said they don't give a shit no more, and our listening and watching race habits have changed surely for one day a week and on feature days like Cup day and main public holidays, they can get this better, seems the people making these decisions are not in touch with the average race follower.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Senz  broadcast the first two races from Ascot and I think one from Orari,no Methven cup, who the fuck is the programmer?

Even running a Sunday sports show at same time as zb seems counter productive, maybe one day the penny will drop.

It's not really bothering me but gee being professional is better for business.

Even some of the stuff on trackside tv ain't too professional either,rushing away from Orari to screen a five dog race from somewhere with a 200 dollar win pool.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, Joe Bloggs said:

but the decision makers at the Taj Mahal and the loon who lived in AUK and thought he was God are to blame for the malaise, losing the race call landline was unfathomable to all....except them, McKenzie and co, back as far as Jackson, all are responsible, I've discussed this with several expat Kiwi's in the industry here, all just shake their heads, imagine if some lunatic pulled the plug on our race media,  ago.

etc......

JB..... agree with all you are saying. They all talk about change however for 20 years on forums I have been saying the way to quick start change is transfer NZTR head office to Ellerslie racecourse. I cannot remember once anyone wanting to engage in that discussion. Seems a forbidden subject.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Maybe, maybe not 

But how does that change the quality of thinking within?

Bricks and mortar.....

Psychological as much as practical. I would envisage offices with the backdrop Ellerslie racecourse. Joining with Auckland Racing club the creation of a Racing City. i.e. 7 day coffee bar, racing museum, other offices (pity the breeders left) (pity so much land sold) perhaps a racing type mall with shops, mini video cinema (TAB tried it) i.e a place all racing enthusiasts can meet and do business 7 days a week not just raceday. e.g. ownership syndicates, education rooms.

On the practical side Ellerslie racecourse is handy to airport, yearling sales, major sponsors, Trackside studios, many businesses etc etc. Plus cost savings in some functions with the Auckland clubs.

Quite frankly a no brainer. (before its too late)

The 8am-10am show this morning was just terrible,terrible, terrible. OK the phone connections were cracking up but surely when and if they get a trainer on why does Michael Guerin have do expound his theories all done thinking he his talking to a 5 year old child and when the trainer finally gets an opportunity to talk the phone cuts out.

Even then they only ask the trainer about one or two horses and miss the winners. They seem to want to interview ex sports people who have an interest in racing. Some lengthy interviews in the past good but not on a Saturday morning.

• Champ Post 1

20 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The 8am-10am show this morning was just terrible,terrible, terrible. OK the phone connections were cracking up but surely when and if they get a trainer on why does Michael Guerin have do expound his theories all done thinking he his talking to a 5 year old child and when the trainer finally gets an opportunity to talk the phone cuts out.

Even then they only ask the trainer about one or two horses and miss the winners. They seem to want to interview ex sports people who have an interest in racing. Some lengthy interviews in the past good but not on a Saturday morning.

I've been listening to 2KY - Sky Sports Radio since 7am.  Brilliant Dufficy, Munsie, Radley, all the top trainers have been interviewed.  Track Managers interviewed.  Analysis of track conditions based on historical data.

They just did an analysis of the Caulfield track - currently a Heavy 8 - they reckon it will come into a least a Soft 7.  TAB NZ has it classed as Heavy.

https://www.radio-australia.org/sky-sports-radio

Previews still running.

• Like 1

Once again we seem to be going around in circles on some topics but it would be good if the Saturday afternoon racing show was a lot better,shutting off at 6, most of the top races start after 6, I dont think I would blame the presenters more the management, at that time of day I will be working, 2ky or app i still cant be fucked with listening through cell phone, yea for one race now and then ok but for 2 or 3 hour stretches nope.

Didnt hear the show this morning.

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why not?  The data usage is minimal.  The only downside is if you move to a zone that doesn't have coverage.

I actually changed the channel the other day, couple guys loud mouthed and talking shit. No interest in the races. Name dropping was all I heard.

hj

17 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

I actually changed the channel the other day, couple guys loud mouthed and talking shit. No interest in the races. Name dropping was all I heard.

hj

Guy hosting the show on senz yesty said over to Greg Myles for the Caulfield Cup, he retired about 3 years ago, I honestly dont understand how something so simple seems to be complicated, they broadcast a race or two from oz, even stayed up till eight, I dont know, let's just say their racing coverage can only improve, that's a starting point I guess, if it dont then few will bother I'd say, me included.

8 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Guy hosting the show on senz yesty said over to Greg Myles for the Caulfield Cup, he retired about 3 years ago, I honestly dont understand how something so simple seems to be complicated, they broadcast a race or two from oz, even stayed up till eight, I dont know, let's just say their racing coverage can only improve, that's a starting point I guess, if it dont then few will bother I'd say, me included.

Yip, I’m done as well.

hj

22 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why not?  The data usage is minimal.  The only downside is if you move to a zone that doesn't have coverage.

I know but it is nice to spend some of our time not being glued to our technology, great as it is, sometimes it's nice just to turn on the radio , have a cup of tea and be informed, it works for zb, listen to some music, some sports commentary as in cricket, why not one day of good solid racing coverage? I dont have all day to watch tv, even if I did I still wouldn't.

Edited by mikeynz

2 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I know but it is nice to spend some of our time not being glued to our technology, great as it is, sometimes it's nice just to turn on the radio , have a cup of tea and be informed, it works for zb, listen to some music, some sports commentary as in cricket, why not one day of good solid racing coverage? I dont have all day to watch tv, even if I did I still wouldn't.

Why don't you treat your phone as a radio?  I do.  I just tune into 2KY and leave it going in the background.  If I had a bluetooth speaker it would be better but it works.

Don't have to be glued to the phone as 2KY is a radio station not a TV channel.

I'm listening to the Big Sports Breakfast on 2KY now.  Racing roundup and interviews with trainers.  An update on Verry Elleegant.  Incentivise not going to the Cox Plate - Manager said "we don't have to win everything this first year!"

This hour they are talking League, Cricket, Boxing and Racing again!  Seems every sports commentator on every sport has an interest in racing!!!!

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why don't you treat your phone as a radio?  I do.  I just tune into 2KY and leave it going in the background.  If I had a bluetooth speaker it would be better but it works.

A lot o

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I leave my I pad,desktop on overnight when in bed more times than not on zb, when they have the grand slam tennis tournaments they run a online radio station, it's only when one leaves home, driving working etc that's a bit different, the coverage can be patchy at times.

Gee I'm a fussy basterd lol.