Bit Of A Yarn

Royal Oak TAB closure.

From TAB.....

We're writing to let you know that TAB Royal Oak is closing its doors on Sunday, 26 June.
TAB Self Service Kiosks are available at Arthurs Bar in Onehunga.
Your nearest Full Service TAB Stores are at the Auckland Trotting Club at Alexandra Park and Mt Roskill TAB. You can also bet online using your TAB account through tab.co.nz or the TAB Mobile app.

Now I don't have a problem with TAB's closing but I do have a problem with management creaming millions "managing" non existent services. e.g Trackside Radio. With all the closures it would have made sense keeping radio in the hands of racing interests. You will notice TAB have made no effort to supplement the service in Royal Oak which is a major dining/takeaway/entertainment area. Shows TAB management is useless. By the way has the CEO Mr Tod I think the name is muttered a single word in the media on anything. I realize he may know nothing about racing or wagering but surely there must be something he can say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

From TAB.....

We're writing to let you know that TAB Royal Oak is closing its doors on Sunday, 26 June.
Your nearest Full Service TAB Stores are at the Auckland Trotting Club at Alexandra Park and Mt Roskill TAB. You can also bet online using your TAB account through tab.co.nz or the TAB Mobile app.

Now I don't have a problem with TAB's closing but I do have a problem with management creaming millions "managing" non existent services. e.g Trackside Radio. With all the closures it would have made sense keeping radio in the hands of racing interests. You will notice TAB have made no effort to supplement the service in Royal Oak which is a major dining/takeaway/entertainment area. Shows TAB management is useless. By the way has the CEO Mr Tod I think the name is muttered a single word in the media on anything. I realize he may know nothing about racing or wagering but surely there must be something he can say.

They actually think it is great business practice to close down as many outlets and racetracks as possible. They think they are doing well. 

In a few years time when we are down to just Ellerslie racing a couple of times a week and one TAB outlet in each major city the great industry thinkers will consider they have saved the industry. They must look in total bewilderment at Countdown and Bunnings and McDonalds opening branches everywhere. I'm sure they think the people running those businesses have no idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doomed said:

They actually think it is great business practice to close down as many outlets and racetracks as possible. They think they are doing well. 

In a few years time when we are down to just Ellerslie racing a couple of times a week and one TAB outlet in each major city the great industry thinkers will consider they have saved the industry. They must look in total bewilderment at Countdown and Bunnings and McDonalds opening branches everywhere. I'm sure they think the people running those businesses have no idea.

The disease is right thru racing. Take a look at Otaki tomorrow. Having had an absolute overkill of Maori propaganda this year I would have thought Otaki Maori Racing Club racing on Matariki holiday would have at least a race named around Matariki and make the day special. Instead the same old racenames e.g. Riverstone Cafe, Chris Ruten bloodstock, Harcourts Otaki etc. I doubt anything planned. No initiative at all.

52 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The disease is right thru racing. Take a look at Otaki tomorrow. Having had an absolute overkill of Maori propaganda this year I would have thought Otaki Maori Racing Club racing on Matariki holiday would have at least a race named around Matariki and make the day special. Instead the same old racenames e.g. Riverstone Cafe, Chris Ruten bloodstock, Harcourts Otaki etc. I doubt anything planned. No initiative at all.

I would never criticise any club that manages to get a sponsor for every race. Most city clubs should be embarrassed by Otaki's effort, so good on them.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Doomed said:

And Countdown and those outfits would not maintain an extremely valuable piece of real estate if their customers stopped frequenting it.  They would sell it off and relocate where people did want to go or where the rate of return was a hell of a lot better.

21 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Do you actually believe it when you say "have at least a race named around matariki and make the day special". Can you explain how that works?

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Do you actually believe it when you say "have at least a race named around matariki and make the day special". Can you explain how that works?

Actually i've been thinking there are many ways they could have promoted the day with the involvement of the local community,but it would have taken a bit of organising,and in reality would the local maori community be motivated enough to make a race meeting the centre stage for promoting their culture and local history? Who knows. But there has to be some type of substance behind it.

Personally i think the increased use of the maori language being promoted by the media and the government is partly just tokenism. Call me cynical,but its just one of the many things the "we know best"  woke crowd  that are starting to run things are promting now days,and when you look at what else they promote it just turns many off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the galah said:

As you have mentioned the key is the local community. If the sole Maori racing club in NZ (Aotearoa) can't come up with something for the day then something is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

As you have mentioned the key is the local community. If the sole Maori racing club in NZ (Aotearoa) can't come up with something for the day then something is wrong.

There is so much history there. Wouldn't it be great to have some entertainment between races from someone knowledgeable talking from the commentators box discussing historical events which have helped shaped the local community and their landmarks.Kapa haka groups,punters with losing tickets going into draws to be invited to a hangi,.Sponsors you would think could easily be encouraged to give a bit more to have their names associated with races appropriately named in conjunction with local groups,with the extra sponsorship going to provide assistance to the groups supporting the days expenses thus encouraging participation.  Would make the racing day more interesting.Dreams are free i suppose.

Edited by the galah

Did you guys see the pictures coming out of Otaki , they would be talking to themselves , there was nobody on course bar owners , trainers and jockeys . Perhaps all the jockeys could have worn traditional dress in the races ? Purely for the TV audience .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 23/06/2022 at 5:27 PM, Doomed said:

What gets me is that these self service kiosks are counted as retail outlets when the TAB is boasting about the size of their retail network. Large salaries depend on that misrepresentation and on betting turnover being viewed as retail sales.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, The Centaur said:

From TAB.....

i note senz on saturday have the good oil for only 3 hours, league on from 4 yet game starts after 5, dont know why they bother really, i dont anymore but it does illustrate how hopeless the TAB heirachy has become regarding audio.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeynz said:

i note senz on saturday have the good oil for only 3 hours, league on from 4 yet game starts after 5, dont know why they bother really, i dont anymore but it does illustrate how hopeless the TAB heirachy has become regarding audio.

Yes it does & as much as they try to convince everyone it was a great idea it's been nothing short of a disaster for the industry. 

I don't know why a trackside telecast can't just be beamed to a frequency,  surely a massive savings without studio, presenters etc 

It's created a massive disconnect for many who follow the industry since it's absence.

But as we know they don't care.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 5:42 PM, The Centaur said:

What's the overkill? 

3 hours ago, Tim Carter said:

What's the overkill? 

Look at Wellington. The government has hired an army of propagandists pushing forward various agendas. Matariki day should have been a celebration day whereby organisations such as Otaki M.R.C doing their bit. Yet I saw numerous instances it being used for propaganda mainly by the well paid Wellington bureaucrats.

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Look at Wellington. The government has hired an army of propagandists pushing forward various agendas. Matariki day should have been a celebration day whereby organisations such as Otaki M.R.C doing their bit. Yet I saw numerous instances it being used for propaganda mainly by the well paid Wellington bureaucrats.

I mean the Maori Propaganda overkill you talk about? 

56 minutes ago, Tim Carter said:

I mean the Maori Propaganda overkill you talk about? 

There is propaganda everywhere not just Maori.

I note Willie Jackson also complaining.

I was on Marae this morning dispelling Māori Party propaganda again.
They are claiming that only 2% of spending is going to Māori in the Māori Health area which is total rubbish.

I note senz are running their racing show till 6 tonight, as NZ racing finishes at four what will they talk about, this is what makes them so hard to follow, just like a  erratic racehorse you never know what to expect which is why I expect nothing and just gave up.

• Haha 1