Bit Of A Yarn

Woodville gone.

Due to consistent rain and a water-logged track the race meeting at Woodville tomorrow has been abandoned. The short-term forecast is for further rain. The track was inspected today by the regional track manager and the RIB in coming to this decision. NZTR will look to enhance stake-money for the final jumps day of the year at the same track on 2 October, and cater for as many jumps horses as possible.

Bus loads of excited punters expected to head to Awapuni Saturday, special trains running from Wellington and the army called in to move the debris and detritus blocking the Manawatu Gorge so the multitudes from Hawkes Bay and beyond can access the countries premier grass track for a glorious day of punting and frivolity.........you lucky buggers, I'm so jealous.

2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Bus loads of excited punters expected to head to Awapuni Saturday, special trains running from Wellington and the army called in to move the debris and detritus blocking the Manawatu Gorge so the multitudes from Hawkes Bay and beyond can access the countries premier grass track for a glorious day of punting and frivolity.........you lucky buggers, I'm so jealous.

What have i told you , my nose hurts from having it rubbed in the sh#t .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Could they have transferred the 5 flat races to the synthetic at Awapuni at the Saturday meeting? Or is the synthetic not capable of tote races yet? Even a couple races added to the Saturday meeting on the grass would seem not too hard to organize.

Most would scratch, I have kept two wet trackers going just in hope of a wet Woodville, certainly wouldn’t be taking them to the synthetic. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bid said:

Most would scratch, I have kept two wet trackers going just in hope of a wet Woodville, certainly wouldn’t be taking them to the synthetic. 

Agree. You can't shift races where wet trackers are expecting to run 1.16 to a track where they will need to run 1.09 and change. Not an option as Bid says.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, curious said:

They reported 20mms in the last 7 days this morning. 5mms the last 24 hours??? Hardly settle the dust would it?

On a free draining track with the soil that is in that area (major pine tree/ plant nursery all around it)it was totally disappointing to read that the track was waterlogged........or is this a chance to say Woodville is too wet in the Winter&too dry in the Summer so it is no longer a long term racing proposition considering the Awapuni Synthetic is now in use?

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

Woodville never dries out in the winter , it lives under a tap . My mum lived in Pahiatua for a couple of years but gave up and left saying it never stopped bloody raining , and she came from Scotland .

What crime did she commit in Scotland that caused her to be sent to Pahiatua?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, curious said:

If it was that waterlogged that it couldn't cope with 20mms of rain in a week, they surely should have cancelled a week ago and saved everybody the trouble and expense?

Gore on friday, probably be snowing, hang on just checked the forecast, fine and sunny for a week, the south gets a bad wrap about its weather, yet it's the North that gets all the rain.

• Like 2

I have it on very good authority (a collegue at works mate whose brother-in-laws aunty's best friends son works for someone whose sister is besties with someone in the office at NZTR) that all further meetings in the central district will be canned due to rain. All the stakes monies saved are going to General Pie and Sausage Roll Fund.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Assange said:

I have it on very good authority (a collegue at works mate whose brother-in-laws aunty's best friends son works for someone whose sister is besties with someone in the office at NZTR) that all further meetings in the central district will be canned due to rain. All the stakes monies saved are going to General Pie and Sausage Roll Fund.

They've moved on from that cuisine, too downmarket, it's all organic, environment friendly health conscious superfoods now, delivered by lithe nymphs riding unicorns, it's the place to be Jackson St, Petone.........

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:29 PM, nomates said:

Godly friends , to think i spent a summer there helping her settle in , i'm sure when i left i had less brain cells than when i arrived .

Loved Scotland in July August.  Few years back though,  John o groats,  spent 10days looking around. Smoked kipper at arbroath. An experience I loved. 

Hj

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

Loved Scotland in July August.  Few years back though,  John o groats,  spent 10days looking around. Smoked kipper at arbroath. An experience I loved. 

Hj

Haha , we went back for 6 weeks just over 3 years ago , mid July to early Sept , went all over but without a word of a lie we had 1 completely sunny warm day , even my friends and family were saying it was a shite summer .

Still love the place tho .

• Champ Post 1