Bit Of A Yarn

Messara Report link plus 17 key recommendations

hesi

A major part of the Mesara report is the updating of the remaining 28 racecourses, including the 3 synthetic tracks, at a cost of 190 million.

This is mainly funded from the sale of assets/freehold land at 16 of the courses to be closed.

It appears therefore that the plan depends on the sale of Avondale, rateable value 100 mil, but more likely development value 200 mil.

To do this, the Racing Act 2003 is being recommended to be changed to remove any ambiguity about ownership not belonging to the club , but to NZTR.  This also applies to all of the 16 freehold courses to be closed.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm heavy stuff

Also reading through the report, the racing responsibilities of NZRB(Wagering NZ) are devolved to the 3 codes.

Just what racing responsibilities do they have?, NZRB is almost totally about wagering.  It's purpose is to deliver betting

NZRB has become a lumbering and expensive operation with fingers in too many pies. 

However, looking at NZTR's underwhelming track record the ability to take on more responsibility would be questionable imo.

Edited by Freda
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

NZRB has become a lumbering and expensive operation with fingers in too many pies. 

However, looking at NZTR's underwhelming track record the ability to take on more responsibility would be questionable imo.

I think most agree with the hatchet being taken to the RB...but whether devolving responsibility to the codes works,  will depend entirely on the structures implemented and the personnel retained.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Freda said:

The mere fact that NZTR are applauding the disposal of 20 community clubs racecourses should enable anyone to understand how they've performed for the industry.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

I think most agree with the hatchet being taken to the RB...but whether devolving responsibility to the codes works,  will depend entirely on the structures implemented and the personnel retained.

If your business wasn't travelling too well Freda would you address your costs? I bet you would, any responsible and intelligent person or business would, but not NZRB, you must address every aspect of an underperforming business, even staffing, which is difficult, the human element, the laying off, should always be a last resort, but it needs to be done for the survival of the core, I know I'm a broken record, however if NZRB were answerable to stockholders on the floor, the board would have been replaced yonks back, as would the NZTR.....the REAL problem with NZ racing is accountability, and until that issue is addressed and overcome, this scenario could well emerge again.

• Champ Post 1

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed -

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

but here is my take on things so far

1) 3 new all weather tracks to be built - Build one for a start and do it properly like a strathyr at Sha Tin - okay so that takes all of the $$ - too bad at least we end up with one goodie and do it in the Waikato where the horse population is. Resurect Foxton instead for the CD and keep Oamaru or Timaru in the South Island for a good winter track.

2) of course all those suits are agreeing with the report - ffs they want to keep their nice cosy jobs and salaries - get rid of the TAB!!!

more to come ?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 3

8 hours ago, hesi said:

A major part of the Mesara report is the updating of the remaining 28 racecourses, including the 3 synthetic tracks, at a cost of 190 million.

This is mainly funded from the sale of assets/freehold land at 16 of the courses to be closed.

It appears therefore that the plan depends on the sale of Avondale, rateable value 100 mil, but more likely development value 200 mil.

To do this, the Racing Act 2003 is being recommended to be changed to remove any ambiguity about ownership not belonging to the club , but to NZTR.  This also applies to all of the 16 freehold courses to be closed.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm heavy stuff

cant quite understand messara they say he was the main person for the nsw racing growing did he close any tracks there

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

1) 3 new all weather tracks to be built - Build one for a start and do it properly like a strathyr at Sha Tin - okay so that takes all of the $$ - too bad at least we end up with one goodie and do it in the Waikato where the horse population is. Resurect Foxton instead for the CD and keep Oamaru or Timaru in the South Island for a good winter track.

2) of course all those suits are agreeing with the report - ffs they want to keep their nice cosy jobs and salaries - get rid of the TAB!!!

more to come ?

Peters said in his speech about the NZRB

"I know a dead horse when I see one"

That probably tells you everything about the future of the NZRB and it's excessive cost explosions

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, wally said:

cant quite understand messara they say he was the main person for the nsw racing growing did he close any tracks there

Why is everyone focusing on the negatives ? Think of the positives-----------beneficiaries like the lawyers who'll be fighting for the feisty clubs  trying to get a reprieve from death row.......Bell Gully involved....adjournments.....appeals.....maybe the Privy Council ?

Could be all sorted  in 5 years time ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

more to come ?

Not to mention all of the trainers they are interviewing they are all from locations that are beneficiaries of the report, not to worry about the others impacted by the recommended closures.

Balanced reporting indeed. 

This is just like Labour selling the family silver back in the 80s, big firesale, bargains for mates, then when the moneys all gone you own nothing.  But costs continue and there is nothing left to pay them ....  

Like someone posted earlier,  how can you possibly give ANY money to the current monkeys who have already ruined the industry   ....  rather like giving Bain his rifle back and asking him to promise not to go target shooting again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Excuse the ignorance, but what is the Waikato Greenfields Project at $110 mil, which the report appears to endorse, as something that will happen in 8 years, with the sale of Te Rapa, Te Awamutu and the as yet to be built Cambridge synthetic track facility.

Message is clear, if you want to be part of the future industry in the North, move to Hamilton/Cambridge

17 minutes ago, hesi said:

Excuse the ignorance, but what is the Waikato Greenfields Project at $110 mil, which the report appears to endorse, as something that will happen in 8 years, with the sale of Te Rapa, Te Awamutu and the as yet to be built Cambridge synthetic track facility.

Message is clear, if you want to be part of the future industry in the North, move to Hamilton/Cambridge

Hadn't really heard much about it for about 10 years. Assume it's this: https://www.hamilton.govt.nz/our-partner-projects/Housing-Infrastructure-Fund/Documents/HCC_HIF Executive Summary_FINAL_web.pdf

But why would racing let alone community race clubs from other parts of the country be sponsoring it in some way?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/business/2940378/Waikato-firm-secures-big-greenfield-project

Edited by curious

1 minute ago, Newmarket said:

What about the pokies??? 

That would be a horrendous idea. 

To think, they bring in a so called expert, and the only way to increase revenue for NZ racing is to get the 'industry' to buy into ventures where there is money - they can't raise any themselves, so the suggestion is to get it from somewhere else. FFS, is this guy for real?

9 minutes ago, curious said:

Hadn't really heard much about it for about 10 years. Assume it's this: https://www.hamilton.govt.nz/our-partner-projects/Housing-Infrastructure-Fund/Documents/HCC_HIF Executive Summary_FINAL_web.pdf

But why would racing let alone community race clubs from other parts of the country be sponsoring it in some way?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/business/2940378/Waikato-firm-secures-big-greenfield-project

???

Must have been quite a bit of work done on it somewhere, as they have an estimated cost of 110 mil

4. Build an exceptional new racing and training venue in the Waikato within the next 8 to 10 years at an estimated cost of at least $110 million and then close and sell the Te Rapa, Cambridge and Te Awamutu racecourses to fund the development. There would then be 27 thoroughbred venues racing in New Zealand.

Bugger.....completely missed that!

Is he serious? Or desperate?

Seek the approval for the NZRB (Wagering NZ) to:
Conduct virtual racing games;
Remove legal restrictions in Section 33(3) of the Gambling Act that
prevent the NZRB (Wagering NZ) from acquiring class 4 gaming
licence venues;
Conduct in-the-run race betting;
Conduct betting on sports where there is no agreement with a national
sports organisation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mardigras said:

That would be a horrendous idea. 

To think, they bring in a so called expert, and the only way to increase revenue for NZ racing is to get the 'industry' to buy into ventures where there is money - they can't raise any themselves, so the suggestion is to get it from somewhere else. FFS, is this guy for real?

Thought the same. 

• Like 1

Racing: Axing clubs is NOT a done deal

1 Sep, 2018 5:00am
 3 minutes to read
Officials from Avondale Racecourse in Auckland have been raging against the dying of the light for years.
Officials from Avondale Racecourse in Auckland have been raging against the dying of the light for years.
NZ Herald

Thoroughbred racing bosses vowing to listen.

The closure of 20 racetracks around the country suggested in the Messara report is far from a done deal.

And thoroughbred racing bosses say they will listen to cases put forward by those clubs whose tracks are facing the axe.

The Messara review of racing was released by Racing Minister Winston Peters on Thursday and the most emotionally jarring recommendation was the closure of 20 thoroughbred tracks to save costs and in some cases for the land to be sold to contribute to racing's future.

The economics of closing at least some of New Zealand's 48 thoroughbred tracks is indisputable, the major problem being nobody wants it to be their club.

Although those behind the jewel in the crown of racetrack closure, Avondale, won't officially comment on the proposed sale of their track with the money to go into industry coffers, they have raged against the dying of the light for decades so don't look likely to sell up and give up.

Others such as Rotorua and Timaru, who between them have 18 meetings this season, are simply against closure and believe their local communities will be too.

"We have a meeting to discuss the report, and obviously our recommended closure, next week," said Rotorua chairman Andrew Bryant.

"But I am absolutely certain we will make our case to stay open. We are disappointed because we were never consulted about any of this.

"And even if the about 50 per cent of the track we own outright was ever closed and sold, I am sure the local community would want that money staying in Rotorua, not going to meetings in Tauranga.

"I don't think that makes long-term sense."

Timaru president Noel Walker says their track is the best racing surface in the South Island and the industry wouldn't be getting any of the club's money.

Although the track closures were a key recommendation of the Messara report, NZTR boss Bernard Saundry says the 20 tracks suggested are not all certain to close. "Obviously we can't survive with 48 tracks, we can't afford to run them all and I think everybody in the industry agrees on that," says Saundry.

"But the minister was very open about the fact there would be room for consultation and we will listen to what clubs have to say, of course we will.

"Some clubs may want to sell and then restructure and we will listen to their ideas."

While Messara's list is a starting point and the majority of the tracks mooted for closure will almost certainly do so, few people at even the highest levels of New Zealand racing have yet got their heads around how the acquisition of any funds from those sales will go.

The exact legal footing under which New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing can annex the proceeds from any racetracks sold was hazy to most of the dozens of industry participants the Weekend Herald spoke to yesterday.

Confusing matters further, the three codes have been working together on their own future venue plan, to be released in October, and some of the tracks Messara has suggested closing were not on the code's hit list so could be saved.

Chopping block
The 20 tracks mooted for closure are: 
Dargaville, Avondale, Thames, Rotorua, Wairoa, Stratford, Hawera, Waipukurau, Woodville, Reefton, Greymouth, Hokitika, Motukarara, Timaru, Kurow, Oamaru, Waimate, Omakau, Winton and Gore.

Im sure I read that planning for a 'synthetic' track at Cambridge is already quite well advanced. Can anyone tell us-are they referring to the existing training track at Cambridge..? the one they use for trials..or is it the other large secondary track on the other side of the Cambridge clubs property?  surely if its going to be the main training track it will cause a hell of a disturbance to training etc given that there are several large barns alongside that track.James/Baker/Marsh to name a few. If it is going to be used for racing won't they also need some type of administration building?

Hate to say it, but after reading all the posts, and most of the report, I think there is going to be a strong backlash to the report, based on

The contentious 'land grab' 

Focus on thoroughbreds

Focus on thoroughbreds in Hamilton/Cambridge(what is the point of a synthetic training track that will be sold in 8 years)

Parochialism, lack of consideration, call it what you want against harness and dogs, even though they ride in on many of the recommendations 

• Champ Post 1