Bit Of A Yarn

Mark purdon buys gallopers

4 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

At karaka.  Savabeel colt 200 k and also lot 296 missed the amount,  last one was bought with bro Barry as well.  Good thing?? 

Hj

I am sure Mark will be a good trainer of galloper’s and it is likely he will eventually have quite a few in his stable.

Gallopers are not that hard to train and he is looking to take things a lot easier as he isn’t getting any younger!!

No doubt the galloping enthusiasts will not agree that training gallopers is easier than harness.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

I am sure Mark will be a good trainer of galloper’s and it is likely he will eventually have quite a few in his stable.

Gallopers are not that hard to train and he is looking to take things a lot easier as he isn’t getting any younger!!

No doubt the galloping enthusiasts will not agree that training gallopers is easier than harness.

I can speak first hand as I worked for g a Rogerson at Randwick and was involved in harness stables in sydney in my teens.there is a huge divide as gallopers are so much more fragile highly strung and darn right naughty.gallopers take more care than Standardbreds and need alot more attention.to get the training right with them is much harder than Standardbreds.i worked with million dollar babies at Randwick the Colts were nuts and the nuts were to big and then the fillies were easier to handle around the stable but not after taking them for a swim.minnie me after swimming her basically dragged me back to the stable.if I let go she would of ended up in coogee.the minute I started walking century kid gelding I said to him your a good one AUD $1,314,050 54 starts 10 wins even went to HK and nearly won big one and missed by a nose at Randwick the tj smith group 1 20/1 in today's money would of won 8 million+.it will be very interesting if Mark Purdon trains them I highly doubt it but I'm only guessing 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Forbury said:

After mark Jones big win with Phelan the power gallops on the weekend maybe he should give the horses to him to train😜😛😝

Has won near $100,000  in just 2 wins from 9 starts this season. Phelan the Power doing well.

The 'entire harness team's earnings this season (January) 50 starters for just 5 wins and a paltry $50,000.

yeah might as well just train gallopers ?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Just now, Gammalite said:

Has won near $100,000  in just 2 wins from 9 starts this season. Phelan the Power doing well.

The 'entire harness team's earnings this season (January) 50 starters for just 5 wins and a paltry $50,000.

yeah might as well just train gallopers ?

I totally admire mark Jones as a former driver trainer and gallopers trainer now and as a person.i want him to do well in is pursuits in life so yes all the best to him in training gallopers and at least he got a great loyal stable foreman in Samantha ottley to help run his harness stable.i believe given a chance he will become a great galloper trainer and the money is incomparable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forbury said:

there is a huge divide as gallopers are so much more fragile highly strung and darn right naughty.gallopers take more care than Standardbreds and need alot more attention.to get the training right with them is much harder than Standardbreds

couldn't agree more Forbs. everything is so much harder. you can work a few standardbreds togeather. they're much calmer. Have to be certain weight or rely on someone that is to exercise them . that is really against many harness folk taking up the hobby. Getting the buggers to run fast and try and beat the rivals is very hard work. Harness horses conditioned to it with solid 'mental' training that is applied to the animal. trailing another, sitting outside it, leading at all costs. they tune in a LOT better than thoroughbreds. Dux tried it for a while here , but went back to trots as results were much harder to get at Eagle Farm lol.

and it's great having horses that can race week in week out all year long. Good old hardy Standardbreds !!!! 

• Like 4

I agree with @Brodie that training a Thoroughbred shouldn't be any harder than training a Standardbred.  

High performance nutrition principles are the same as is animal health.  That's the biggest thing that amateurs don't get right.  

One advantage a Thoroughbred has over a Standardbred is the time required to train them.  You dont do hours of mindless jogging with them going round and round in circles.  You could have worked 4 gallopers in the time it takes to train a trotter. 

The biggest challenge for a harness trainer will be getting feedback on how the horse feels.  Easier when you are driving or riding them yourself but Purdon will have to rely on feedback from Jockeys and track workers.  Unfortunately there are very few good horseman are riding.  The related challenge will be getting the riders to do what you want them to do.  Purdon can judge pace to the half second the majority of Thoroughbred riders haven't got a clue.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Forbury said:

.it will be very interesting if Mark Purdon trains them I highly doubt it but I'm only guessing 

My thinking is opposite.I believe Mark Purdon WILL TRAIN  these gallopers.

His brother Barry 'dipped his toes' in the galloping pool many years ago,and Mark has held desire to follow suit for quite some time!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

You are right my old mate but I think it depends on the horse a bit. A staying sort of horse would need more working than the sprinter types. 

Mark Purdon and especially Natalie are looking to cut back and I can't blame. They have been successful but it takes a lot of time and dedication. It doesn't leave time for much else in life. I think Nathan Purdon will eventually take over, perhaps with brother Michael?

Regardless, Purdon will train the horse well. Michael House, Mark Jones and Barry Purdon have all trained gallopers successfully. Mark will too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forbury said:

I can speak first hand as I worked for g a Rogerson at Randwick and was involved in harness stables in sydney in my teens.there is a huge divide as gallopers are so much more fragile highly strung and darn right naughty.gallopers take more care than Standardbreds and need alot more attention.to get the training right with them is much harder than Standardbreds.i worked with million dollar babies at Randwick the Colts were nuts and the nuts were to big and then the fillies were easier to handle around the stable but not after taking them for a swim.minnie me after swimming her basically dragged me back to the stable.if I let go she would of ended up in coogee.the minute I started walking century kid gelding I said to him your a good one AUD $1,314,050 54 starts 10 wins even went to HK and nearly won big one and missed by a nose at Randwick the tj smith group 1 20/1 in today's money would of won 8 million+.it will be very interesting if Mark Purdon trains them I highly doubt it but I'm only guessing 

Did u give Simmo a hand with Savabeal?

6 hours ago, Davis said:

You are right my old mate but I think it depends on the horse a bit. A staying sort of horse would need more working than the sprinter types. 

Mark Purdon and especially Natalie are looking to cut back and I can't blame. They have been successful but it takes a lot of time and dedication. It doesn't leave time for much else in life. I think Nathan Purdon will eventually take over, perhaps with brother Michael?

Regardless, Purdon will train the horse well. Michael House, Mark Jones and Barry Purdon have all trained gallopers successfully. Mark will too.

Dont forget Todd Mitchell ?

On 2/1/2023 at 2:03 PM, Davis said:

And Robbie Holmes,  and Regan Todd. 

Hj

On 2/1/2023 at 6:40 AM, Chief Stipe said:

I agree with @Brodie that training a Thoroughbred shouldn't be any harder than training a Standardbred.  

High performance nutrition principles are the same as is animal health.  That's the biggest thing that amateurs don't get right.  

One advantage a Thoroughbred has over a Standardbred is the time required to train them.  You dont do hours of mindless jogging with them going round and round in circles.  You could have worked 4 gallopers in the time it takes to train a trotter. 

The biggest challenge for a harness trainer will be getting feedback on how the horse feels.  Easier when you are driving or riding them yourself but Purdon will have to rely on feedback from Jockeys and track workers.  Unfortunately there are very few good horseman are riding.  The related challenge will be getting the riders to do what you want them to do.  Purdon can judge pace to the half second the majority of Thoroughbred riders haven't got a clue.

There is one huge huge difference.standerbreds are so much more tougher and durable.they train themselves.eg Nora bishop just race them all the time look after them will find form eventually and no training needed.you certainly cannot do that with a thoroughbred. 

7 hours ago, Forbury said:

There is one huge huge difference.standerbreds are so much more tougher and durable.they train themselves.eg Nora bishop just race them all the time look after them will find form eventually and no training needed.you certainly cannot do that with a thoroughbred. 

Not so sure nowadays.  They do take more work but are subject to the same stresses as a Thoroughbred.  You can bring a Thoroughbred up quicker to race than a Standardbred.