Bit Of A Yarn

Michael House - Stable Clearout!

Brodie

Gavel House Standardbred Auction House which closes in the next day or so has some interesting lots in the catalogue!

Michael House has 13 of his race winners from his stable up for sale!

Mostly the ones that are currently in Palmerston North and raced tonight.

Most are multiple race race winners so clearly acknowledges that they have met their mark and do not have a future racing in Canterbury.

They mostly have reserves but some are sold for as little as $500.

Is this a sign that this Michael House is about to give up campaigning at Palmerston North??????

Lucky Ben Yole and Aaron Bain aren't in Nz. they'd buy the lot at gavelhouse and then make a couple of entire race fields fr some cheap prizemoney in the backblocks, and then ping em off to the local greyhound trainers for a bit of tucker one by one as they get banned one by one uncompetitive,  from the poor training.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Lucky Ben Yole and Aaron Bain aren't in Nz. they'd buy the lot at gavelhouse and then make a couple of entire race fields fr some cheap prizemoney in the backblocks, and then ping em off to the local greyhound trainers for a bit of tucker one by one as they get banned one by one uncompetitive,  from the poor training.

They wouldnt get away with it in NZ Gamma.

The standard of horse in NZ is so much better in NZ.

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

They wouldnt get away with it in NZ Gamma.

The standard of horse in NZ is so much better in NZ.

Hes trains lots of ex nz horses Brodie. For example of his 69 starters tomorrow, 30 are ex nz horses.Many more than those from nz in his stable.

A lot of names you would recognise as having been winners,some quite successful.

3 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Smooth Deal ?

Your right there rangitara.The former all star horse has won 6 races in tasmania for yole. All in races with stakes of around $6,000. Going by the reports you read,it seems horses like him mostly don't  get the retirement they deserve if trained by Yole.

Yopu can't help but think that when someone operates on such a scale,and they treat the horse as just a commodity ,to be discarded once no longer useful,then the person doing operates on such a scale that they are desensitived to the cruel things they do.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Smooth Deal ?

Yes.Smooth Deal,Winner of Group 1 2yo Young Guns Cardigan Bay Stakes $90k at Alex Park for Purdon/Rasmussen.

Exported in 2021,recorded 5 wins running around Victoria for expat Brent Lilley.

2022 season,on winless streak of 12 starts before transferring to B Yole's Tasmanian Stable,where winless streak increased to 29 runs.

2023 began year Bang Bang Bang,Winning 3 x times in 15 day period,so obviously 'his turn' was long overdue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taku Umanga said:

Pretty sure Michael has indicated on Facebook that this season is likely to be his last campaigning at Palmy - ferry issues have been the killer.

Do you think there is an opportunity for a trainer who lives close to palmerston north to step into his shoes. After all they seem to win plenty of stake money and travel costs wouldn't be a factor. Or would it not work as m house is a better trainer?

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Do you think there is an opportunity for a trainer who lives close to palmerston north to step into his shoes. After all they seem to win plenty of stake money and travel costs wouldn't be a factor. Or would it not work as m house is a better trainer?

Death knell for Palmerston North once Michael House quits.

Too much of a drain on the coffers of harness just like Auckland is.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Death knell for Palmerston North once Michael House quits.

Too much of a drain on the coffers of harness just like Auckland is.

False, Palmerston North's ROI to the industry is better than most clubs.
The club is also in a decent financial position.

Auckland, well yes. They are an absurd black hole sucking the life out of NZ harness racing.

9 hours ago, Spatchcock said:

False, Palmerston North's ROI to the industry is better than most clubs.
The club is also in a decent financial position.

Auckland, well yes. They are an absurd black hole sucking the life out of NZ harness racing.

So how is Manawatu going to be able to race continuously when they have only 30 to 40 horses?

Snowball effect, numbers could drop lower and stakes dissappear?

Turnover can not be flash now!

Edited by Brodie

Hi Brodie Mickey mouse just getting rid of dead wood as manawatu finished till next spring he will stock up again before then don't see him deserting manawatu as he supplying drives for his son I do recall he intimating awhile back that he was going to get out of training standardbreds and go over to gallopers not going to happen while son driving 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trotsfan said:

Hi Brodie Mickey mouse just getting rid of dead wood as manawatu finished till next spring he will stock up again before then don't see him deserting manawatu as he supplying drives for his son I do recall he intimating awhile back that he was going to get out of training standardbreds and go over to gallopers not going to happen while son driving 

Personally given up wagering on Palmy .

Not sure why young Wilson drives so conservatively ?

They aren’t Locarno!

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Well, what about Superstar Legend winning that first race tonight. Be interesting to hear Mickey Mouse’s views on how it improved to win? 

Hopefully stipes will ask the question, and horse should be swabbed twice for everything!

I had it rated as the top selection but didn't bother having a bet as i thought wilson house would probably go back from his outside draw,like he did last start. I always think his go to tactics are go back to last if drawn wide.

Instead he drove a very well judged race.

It went very well last start,running home well in a race run in near record time. The previous 2 starts it never had much room to improve in the straights,when travelling ok at the time. It had won the most races and earned the most money previously than anything in the field,so was very well graded.Half the field had only won 1 race and it had won 10 prior.

So it wasn't a form reversal,just a positive drive when you don't normally see that from house.

I have to admit,after 100m i was kicking myself for not having a bet,but well done to the house team. Also good to see the Tappers who own it back in the winners circle. I think they trained a dominion handicap winner at one stage.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, the galah said:

I had it rated as the top selection but didn't bother having a bet as i thought wilson house would probably go back from his outside draw,like he did last start. I always think his go to tactics are go back to last if drawn wide.

It went very well last start,running home well in a race run in near record time. The previous 2 starts it never had much room to improve in the straights,when travelling ok at the time. It had won the most races and earned the most money previously than anything in the field,so was very well graded.Half the field had only won 1 race and it had won 10 prior.

So it wasn't a form reversal,just a positive drive when you don't normally see that from house.

I have to admit,after 100m i was kicking myself for not having a bet,but well done to the house team. Also good to see the Tappers who own it back in the winners circle. I think they trained a dominion handicap winner at one stage.

You have your views, I know at times it has raced in better fields and most horses look unlucky when having a cushy run buried on rails, but this nag has struggled to win on the palmy circuit. 
I like the stipes when they asked the question about horses improvement…Wilson House stated the mare had been unlucky in recent starts from unfavourable draws??!😆😆😆. FFS, it draws the outside gate goes hard first 400m and fights till the end? 

Mighty Looee the same, I know they went hard but FFS, what’s going on. Not my money talking as didn’t have a bet last nite. 

Stipes stated Pre Race Blood testing? Is that all horses, some horses, which horses? Anyone know

• Like 1

14 hours ago, the galah said:

I also had it rated on top and wish I backed it on the tote at 78. It is always a chance when they drive it confidently but you never know when they are going forward as The Galah says

• Like 1

I don't have a comment on last night's blood testing but, have observed the galloping Stipes' Reports where pre race blood testing pops up seemingly randomly and not always on big races at big race meetings.  There was also hair follicle testing on one horse only at a meeting with no explanation.

The Stipes/RIB are in charge and can pretty much do what they like apparently.  I don't understand why there isn't blanket testing rules so everything appears above board.  Well yes I do actually because I know that, as an example, cobalt testing is cost prohibitive to test every winner.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

I don't have a comment on last night's blood testing but, have observed the galloping Stipes' Reports where pre race blood testing pops up seemingly randomly and not always on big races at big race meetings.  There was also hair follicle testing on one horse only at a meeting with no explanation.

The Stipes/RIB are in charge and can pretty much do what they like apparently.  I don't understand why there isn't blanket testing rules so everything appears above board.  Well yes I do actually because I know that, as an example, cobalt testing is cost prohibitive to test every winner.

Nice reply Special Agent. What happened to the days when winners, or horses that had form reversals were swabbed and was published? 
I smell a rat..

The question needs to be asked why arent the public advised of change of driving tactics like they do in Oz?

Wilson House is normally one of the most conservative drivers around especially at Addington  and yet he changed tactics with Superstar Legend last night!

The horse has battled to win at Addington and yes it was a total form reversal from a much raced horse.

The punters obviously didnt think it could win last night by the fixed odds and tote divs!

Superstar Legend was offered in the Gavel House auction a few weeks ago so the owners obviously werent that confident of the horse paying its way!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

The question needs to be asked why arent the public advised of change of driving tactics like they do in Oz?

Wilson House is normally one of the most conservative drivers around especially at Addington  and yet he changed tactics with Superstar Legend last night!

That about sums it up.

if you look at recent performances,the form reversal came from the driver,not the horse.

If they had a write up for the driver,it would be....capable on his day,but normally running on far too late.Expect much of the same tonight...  That would turn out to be accurate 95% of the time,but last night we saw the 5% of the time.

• Like 1