Bit Of A Yarn

A song for Brodie!

Chief Stipe

• Chief Stipe changed the title to A song for Brodie!
21 hours ago, Brodie said:

Shame about the voice though!

Wouldnt think he is going to be BIg?

Its already Big brodie. Its only been out for a very short time but some music magazines are predicting, given its  sales and downloads that it may go close to debuting at number 1 on the top 100 list in the USA.Move over taylor swift .

Might be popular with our dairy farmers given their latest auction results

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, the galah said:

Its already Big brodie. Its only been out for a very short time but some music magazines are predicting, given its  sales and downloads that it may go close to debuting at number 1 on the top 100 list in the USA.Move over taylor swift .

Might be popular with our dairy farmers given their latest auction results

Chief may have a better idea,but aren't the latest global dairy prices extremely worrying if you were a dairy farmer. 

I would have thought that would have been the number one story in nz media,but wasn't for some reason. The 2nd lowest on the index for global dairy prices in the last 7 years and the worst for 5 years.

14 hours ago, the galah said:

Chief may have a better idea,but aren't the latest global dairy prices extremely worrying if you were a dairy farmer. 

I would have thought that would have been the number one story in nz media,but wasn't for some reason. The 2nd lowest on the index for global dairy prices in the last 7 years and the worst for 5 years.

On its own the milk prices are bad enough but add on top high interest rates, substantially higher input costs such as fuel and supplementary feed and you have a disaster for the industry.  The loss in income and reduction in on farm expenditure will affect provincial towns and the government tax take.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2023 at 9:04 PM, Brodie said:

Shame about the voice though!

Wouldnt think he is going to be BIg?

17 million online views.

Turned down US$8million from a recording company since his video went viral.

Oliver Anthony says he's turned down $8 million offers since going viral: 'Nothing special about me'

www.foxnews.com

Video

Viral singing sensation Oliver Anthony said he'd never had any interest in being famous, turned down seven-figure offers from stunned music industry reps and lamented the divided state of the internet in a Facebook posting on Thursday.

Anthony's song "Rich Men North of Richmond" exploded into a viral hit this month after he recorded it on his Virginia farmland, and the red-bearded, high school dropout described himself on Facebook as "just some idiot and his guitar" who couldn't have imagined he'd become so well-known. 

His song, which has been viewed more than 17 million times on YouTube as of Thursday afternoon, serves as both a screed against Washington greed and a lament for working-class ills like suicide, despair, high taxation,and working long hours for "bulls--- pay." It's won a host of conservative fans online, while some progressives have decried it as right-wing agitprop. 

Anthony noted his real name is Christopher Anthony Lunsford; Oliver Anthony was his grandfather and "Oliver Anthony Music" is a tribute to him and the Appalachia community he was born and raised in. He added that he dropped out of high school in 2010 at age 17.

LIBERALS PILE ON DEM SENATOR FOR SHARING ‘RICH MEN NORTH OF RICHMOND’ VIRAL SENSATION

"At this point, I'll gladly go by Oliver because everyone knows me as such. But my friends and family still call me Chris. You can decide for yourself, either is fine," he wrote.

He recounted reading more than 50,000 messages and emails in the past week that have painted a "brutally honest picture" of widespread addiction, unemployment, anxiety and hopelessness.

"I'm sitting in such a weird place in my life right now. I never wanted to be a full time musician, much less sit at the top of the iTunes charts. Draven from RadioWv and I filmed these tunes on my land with the hope that it may hit 300k views. I still don't quite believe what has went on since we uploaded that. It's just strange to me," he wrote.

"People in the music industry give me blank stares when I brush off 8 million dollar offers. I don't want 6 tour buses, 15 tractor trailers and a jet. I don't want to play stadium shows, I don't want to be in the spotlight. I wrote the music I wrote because I was suffering with mental health and depression. These songs have connected with millions of people on such a deep level because they're being sung by someone feeling the words in the very moment they were being sung. No editing, no agent, no bulls--t. Just some idiot and his guitar. The style of music that we should have never gotten away from in the first place."

Anthony discussed his past employment that included a "living hell" at a paper mill in North Carolina and once fracturing his skull in 2013 that forced him to move home to Virginia. He currently lives on farmland he paid $97,500 for, inside a 27-foot camper with a tarp on the roof, he says. 

From 2014 until this year, he worked outside sales in industrial manufacturing, where he got to know thousands of other blue-collar workers.

BLUE-COLLAR POLITICAL ANTHEM ‘RICH MEN NORTH OF RICHMOND’ BUMPS JASON ALDEAN SONG OUT OF TOP SPOT ON CHART

"I've spent all day, everyday, for the last 10 years hearing the same story. People are SO damn tired of being neglected, divided and manipulated," he wrote. "There's nothing special about me. I'm not a good musician, I'm not a very good person. I've spent the last five years struggling with mental health and using alcohol to drown it. I am sad to see the world in the state it's in, with everyone fighting with each other. I have spent many nights feeling hopeless, that the greatest country on Earth is quickly fading away.

"That being said, I HATE the way the Internet has divided all of us. The Internet is a parasite, that infects the minds of humans and has their way with them. Hours wasted, goals forgotten, loved ones sitting in houses with each other distracted all day by technology made by the hands of other poor souls in sweat shops in a foreign land."

Anthony encouraged people to use their freedom of speech and never let it be taken away.

"Just like those once wandering in the desert, we have lost our way from God and have let false idols distract us and divide us. It's a damn shame," he wrote.

Video

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Anthony's concert on Aug. 23 in his hometown of Farmville, Virginia, sold out within minutes of tickets going on sale. The venue only holds 300 people, according to the Statesville Record & Landmark, and Anthony said he would be holding shows soon in larger places to accommodate more fans.

With the popularity of his new song, his other works have also been viewed by millions online, such as "Ain't Gotta Dollar" and "I've Got to Get Sober."

For more Culture, Media, Education, Opinion and channel coverage, visit foxnews.com/media

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

On its own the milk prices are bad enough but add on top high interest rates, substantially higher input costs such as fuel and supplementary feed and you have a disaster for the industry.  The loss in income and reduction in on farm expenditure will affect provincial towns and the government tax take.

I'm still rather amused by this massive injection of cash into NZ racing and how Entain can make it pay, if people don't bet or can't afford to, short term it all looks good but 5 years time it's going to be interesting, maybe Entain will have shot themselves in the foot.

Incidentally Fonterra have dropped their forecast price again so further stress on NZ, interesting times.

Edited by mikeynz

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Thats why i would have expected it to be all over the news.

Its a bit like the coming global food crises,our media seems to ignore the things that really matter until after they have happened.

In 2021 treasury said dairy made up 5.3% of our GDP and 23% of total exports. Surely when an industry so important to the nz economy is heading into very tough times it should get more coverage. Its something that will end up effecting everyone down the track when govt doesn't have as much money to spend.

They always tell us the most important price is that of whole milk powder, well that has fallen through the floor recently.They say they are sort of stuck with producing that as about 40% of their product due to  the milking seasonality,distance from export markets and capital and labour costs in diversifying too much into other products.So the current poor prices must have them worried.

And what about China.They are saying their economy is on an imminent economic spiral and the worst is yet to come.

Just goes to show though that all these fonterra experts,bank experts,treasury experts who supposedly know what they are doing were all totally wrong in their predictions around dairy returns just a few months ago.

Every one of the so called experts got it wrong and everyone of them  didn't seem to factor in enough the well known anticipated consequences of the china economy having difficult times.

Its one of those things that you watch and you say to yourself,well i'm no expert,but aren't the so called experts ignoring the obvious,then when it happens you think they really have no more idea than anyone and their predictions are often poor guess's based around telling their farmers what they want to hear.

I suppose time will tell how it all plays out,but given how dairy farming is why the cost of farmland is so very expensive and with that is the need for those who have invested in recent years in dairying,to maintain returns at a level higher than other farming. Its all a bit sad but almost predictable that dairy farming has to go through such stressful times.

I hope all those dairy farmers out there can get through the next year or two without too many getting too depressed.

Years ago farmers didn't owe so much to the banks and today that must weigh heavily on so many farmers minds,but they made that choice so i suppose should have the skills to deal with it. Of course thats not how it will play out for some.But its not like they can change it.

Edited by the galah

2 minutes ago, the galah said:

Thats why i would have expected it to be all over the news.

Its a bit like the coming global food crises,our media seems to ignore the things that really matter until after they have happened.

In 2021 treasury said dairy made up 5.3% of our GDP and 23% of total exports. Surely when an industry so important to the nz economy is heading into very tough times it should get more coverage. Its something that will end up effecting everyone down the track when govt doesn't have as much money to spend.

They always tell us the most important price is that of whole milk powder, that has fallen through the floor recently.They say they are sort of stuck with producing that as about 40% of their product due to  the milking seasonality,distance from export markets and capital and labour costs in diversifying too much into other products.So the current poor prices must have them worried.

And what about China.They are saying their economy is on an imminent economic spiral and the worst is yet to come.

Just goes to show though that all these fonterra experts,bank experts,treasury experts who supposedly know what they are doing were all totally wrong in their predictions around dairy returns just a few months ago.

Every one of the so called experts got it wrong and everyone of them  didn't seem to factor in enough the well known anticipated consequences of the china economy having difficult times.

Its one of those things that you watch and you say to yourself,well i'm no expert,but aren't the so called experts ignoring the obvious,then when it happens you think they really have no more idea than anyone and their predictions are often poor guess's based around telling their farmers what they want to hear.

I suppose time will tell how it all plays out,but given how dairy farming is why the cost of farmland is so very expensive and with that is the need for those who have invested in recent years in dairying,to maintain returns at a level higher than other farming. Its all a bit sad but almost predictable that dairy farming has to go through such stressful times.

I hope all those dairy farmers out there can get through the next year or two without too many getting too depressed.

Years ago farmers didn't owe so much to the banks and today that must weigh heavily on so many farmers minds,but they made that choice so i suppose should have the skills to deal with it. Of course thats not how it will play out for some.But its not like they can change it.

Farming is always cyclical but you have good years and you have bad years both money wise and weather wise but so many of the support industry's never drop their charges, yet once the payout starts climbing bang they bang their charges up.

6 bucks would be OK, not brilliant but manageable if everybody else took a cut back in line but no one ever does.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

6 bucks would be OK, not brilliant but manageable if everybody else took a cut back in line but no one ever does.

$6 is disastrous and well below break even.  How can suppliers cut their prices when their costs have escalated.  Costs outside of their control.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

$6 is disastrous and well below break even.  How can suppliers cut their prices when their costs have escalated.  Costs outside of their control.   

Thats the thing isn't it chief,a $6 return 5 or 10 years ago would go so much further than a $6 return these days.

I used to hear that $6 return as a break even point over 5 years ago,which i guess is why you say today even at $6.75 they will not even be breaking even.

The only positive is,if you see it that way,is much of dairying is owned by corporates and even the maori tribes have a bit tied up in it. Where i came from i knew one bloke had 18 dairy farms,another 15,others had several and it seemed all dairy farmers i spoke to 10-20 years years ago all intended to have at least 2 or 3 farms.

The total focus was money driven not about lifestyle which is why i think the general population aren't over sympathetic towards dairy farmers.. 

The happiest dairy farmer i came across was a bloke who had been in it for 35 years. He was getting a bit tired of the long hours but didn't care too much about the ups and downs,he just saved a bit more in the good times and that got him through the bad times and he just carried on as normal all the way through.Mind you i don't think theres many like him left in the industry.

Edited by the galah

22 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Everything is a vicious circle, we have a smart well educated society yet seem to be getting worse than the generation before in most things.

9 minutes ago, the galah said:

Thats the thing isn't it chief,a $6 return 5 or 10 years ago would go so much further than a $6 return these days.

I used to hear that $6 return as a break even point over 5 years ago,which i guess is why you say today even at $6.75 they will not even be breaking even.

The only positive is,if you see it that way,is much of dairying is owned by corporates and even the maori tribes have a bit tied up in it. Where i came from i knew one bloke had 18 dairy farms,another 15,others had several and it seemed all dairy farmers i spoke to 10-20 years years ago all intended to have at least 2 or 3 farms.

The total focus was money driven not about lifestyle which is why i think the general population aren't over sympathetic towards dairy farmers.. 

The happiest dairy farmer i came across was a bloke who had been in it for 35 years. He was getting a bit tired of the long hours but didn't care too much about the ups and downs,he just saved a bit more in the good times and that got him through the bad times and he just carried on as normal all the way through.Mind you i don't think theres many like him left in the industry.

The bigger these companies are the bigger they fall, big isn't always best.Everbody can take a bit of a dip but for how long ?

And yet the Dickhead Green Lunatics and Liebour want to make the farmers even more broke for letting their cows pass wind FFS!

Thank heavens we are going go be losing this total bunch of left wing incompetents in October!

Should never be allowed to have control again, and should not have in the first place, so many people should not be allowed to vote!

The fact is that when the books are opened up they are going to be in a far worse position than they are saying!

How on earth did we allow an overweight, lieing person who bats with the same sex and had a degree in ARTS be the FinanceMinister is unbelievable!

No wonder the country is in such a total mess in every single way!!!

26 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The fact is that when the books are opened up they are going to be in a far worse position than they are saying!

How on earth did we allow an overweight, lieing person who bats with the same sex and had a degree in ARTS be the FinanceMinister is unbelievable!

No wonder the country is in such a total mess in every single way!!!

The farmers did actually contribute to this government, 2020 to 2023, remember that.

As for the man you are referring to hè needs his fiscal hole filled with a size 12 gumboot..

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Everything is a vicious circle, we have a smart well educated society yet seem to be getting worse than the generation before in most things.

I was just watching a segment on why china hasn't released its latest youth unemployment figures for july. They said in june they were the worst ever.

The segment on that said the consensus in china was that,apart from the obvious economy,the reason for the high youth unemployment was that china, in the last 20 years, had over educated its people with knowledge and degrees in areas of the economy where the jobs numbers simply don't match the supply in applicants. They said the focus has been on creating people educated enough to be have a job that pays well enough to enable the increasing numbers of middle class and the flow on effect of having people with incomes to support industries that drive the economy like housing.

The problem being that firstly to get higher educated it has come at a cost to families and secondly as i mentioned,there aren't enough jobs out there requiring the higher educational skills.

Another subject where you think,shouldn't they have seen that coming.

Edited by the galah