Bit Of A Yarn

tab website

the galah

37 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I was out and about on Saturday and tried to put a few bets on. I had good coverage and wasn't expecting any problem but trying to get trebles and quaddies on was a nightmare. It was so slow and then it wouldn't even work. Out I go and then back in for the same problem to happen. What should have been a 2-minute job was 20 minutes before I gave up. Talk about making one anti-social!

Oh, for the days of quaddies etc just being on the one page and not having to load up page after page after page.

I hate the incessant scrolling too.

<I feel better now>

Yeah, it's a real hassle, they made those sorts of things harder rather than simpler..........but in sports section you can bet on monkey wrestling in the Congo no problem 300 options, right down to which monkey has the hairiest arsehole..............yet try and put a treble on and it takes half a day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Somebody may be able to help. 

On the App, where does it show where a horse is drawn? Is it staring right at me?? I cant see it. Ta

You have to click on the extended form bit, it appears they can't fit it on the  main page if the horses name is to long!!! You would think it would be one of the most important things to display.

• Champ Post 1

I was talking to yet another disgruntled punter yesterday. The tab keep trying to tempt him back to betting with the free bets,however he was telling me he found the website so frustrating he gave up using his account not long after it was introduced..    They had even resorted to contacting him by phone.

Those who think the new website has helped promote betting on races are ignoring the many the website has alienated.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Stiff at disaster either way - that means stakes going down !

Don't panic...this is from the NZRB

The TAB's Fixed Odds Betting platform was launched in January and we've made strong progress on other NZRB priorities designed to significantly lift investment across racing. As always at these forums, we welcome the opportunity to hear from you and address your questions.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Don't panic...this is from the NZRB

The TAB's Fixed Odds Betting platform was launched in January and we've made strong progress on other NZRB priorities designed to significantly lift investment across racing. As always at these forums, we welcome the opportunity to hear from you and address your questions.

What crap. I will reiterate what was conveyed to me from a reliable source by chance. Thirty to thirty five % down turn since app was introduced. How that equates to monetary figures I dont know , but writing on the wall I would think.

19 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

I got told turnover down $17 million across all codes. Bit of a difference between stories!

The brodster being on overseas  holiday would account for half of that.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

What crap. I will reiterate what was conveyed to me from a reliable source by chance. Thirty to thirty five % down turn since app was introduced. How that equates to monetary figures I dont know , but writing on the wall I would think.

If that is the case will anyone be held accountable?   

Guest CrossCodes

Brodie would blame the Allstar stable for the turnover downfall surely?

He thinks they are single handedly responsible for everything else. 

25 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Brodie would blame the Allstar stable for the turnover downfall surely?

He thinks they are single handedly responsible for everything else. 

What a stupid thing to say!

Yes, the turnover will be increasingly dropping on Premier meetings due to the dominance and punters over trying to get a win div over $2.00!

There are several reasons for reduced turnover on the tote nowadays!!

Edited by Brodie

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Yes, the turnover will be increasingly dropping on Premier meetings due to the dominance and punters over trying to get s win div over $2.00!

back in jack hammers day, sub $2.00 dividends were great for turnover, people reinvested bigtime unlike when blythbank del beat speedy cheval

what has changed ? was it the earthquakes or are you telling porkies again

Edited by Rangatira
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

I got told turnover down $17 million across all codes. Bit of a difference between stories!

In February they had  figures posted on racecafe comparing  the first 3 weeks of the new format to the previous years racing tote turnover.

It stated racing turnover was  down 10 million,at an average of $3.3 million a week.

I've always been a big believer in it  being very hard to get your customer base back once their routines/habits/leisure activities have changed, whatever the business.  

At the time many of us referred to the new website as a major self inflicted wound to racing. 

It would be interesting to learn the more up to date figures. The silence about them probably tells the story.   

On 16/05/2019 at 3:27 PM, Flagship uberalles said:

You have to click on the extended form bit, it appears they can't fit it on the  main page if the horses name is to long!!! You would think it would be one of the most important things to display.

So where is the draw on extended form? 

34CAFA49-6C9E-439B-94EF-F4F94C46357F.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

So where is the draw on extended form? 

34CAFA49-6C9E-439B-94EF-F4F94C46357F.jpeg

I swear blue It used to be in the extended form bit just above the watch and bet and will pays bit,  but having clicked on it now I see it's not there anymore...or I've gone mad! I only use the app to check results now, I go to an agency to place bets....geez they really have dumbed this tab website down.

Screenshot_20190523-181337.png

• 11 months later...

So there we go.  

The decision makers at the TAB had no idea what a punter wants, we all knew it,and given a couple of recent announcements which are sure to discourage betting,they still don't. What was that Bob dylan song   ....where have all the punters gone.......

• Like 1

Personally i think the decision to phase out being able to walk up to the tote and get a operator to place a bet for you, as being incredibly stupid. So they want everyone to use one of those machines or their phone.This decision is a clear illustration that they have no understanding of punters.  

In my job i often spend hours sitting outside the local tab,looking in through the window watching.  Its a well run pub/tab who interact well with their customers and always prioritise their tab customers close to a race start.   

They have different types of customers.

Youv'e got the seamen who came in groups of 6 or 7 on weeknights. They may only be there a couple of nights during the week,and they are not the same ones depending on what boat is in, but those groups of a half dozen who chose to bet on the aussie harness/dogs can put a bit through the tote  as they often  bet on most races.  You have to remember these are people who can hardly speak english let alone read it as it is not their language. They go up to the bar tote just before the race starts,look up at the trackside screen and say a number... Now there is  no way these blokes are going to know how to download the tab app let alone navigate the website,and they won't muck around with a tab machine,they will simply go and play the pokies.  They are not allowed of their boats at the moment  because of the virus but one day they will be.

Then you have the handful of blokes who go to the pub for companionship who like a chat with the bloke serving them  Different people come and go depending at the time of night but they are the ones who are there at the quiet times. Once again they just seems to follow the tv screens placed next to the bar tote and have their bets just prior to start. They never fill in forms,. They may not be successful,but they are customers.

Then the half dozen who come in midweek after work. Again they don't fill in forms and bet just prior to race start.

Then you have the weekends. You look at those who bet on sport. One bet,then watch the game. All the while the ones betting on the horses have 10-20 bets in the same time. 

There is no way you can get a bet on anywhere near as fast on one of those machines,compared to an operator. 

And  when i was out of town recently i used the app on the phone and found it took me 10 minutes to put on all the bets i wanted on a couple of races when i could have done the same thing in 2 minutes if i was at home or at a tab.  And thats someone who knows how to use the website,how cis anyone who is a casual racegoer going to cope.

Just like the website,the decision to phase out operators will cost way more than it will save.

It reminds me of the businessman i knew who was solely responsible for one tab's big turnover about  15 years ago. He had a  great food/hospitality business and plenty of cash. He used to wander across the road from where he lived to a tab which was in a tavern. Didn't bet all the time,just in  big amounts. Well,one day i was talking to him about the tavern which was struggling as a business. We were talking about that taverns tab not having a turf digest anymore to look at. He told me he had said to them that he needed the turf digest so as to know what he was betting on as he really didn't know the form. Well 2 months later,the tavern still had no turf,but also no longer had the big punter who simply gave up out of principle. He only bet as a  release from the business and instead just went and played more golf. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1