Bit Of A Yarn

Wall of death

aquaman

1 hour ago, Goldstar said:

Doesn't matter if they are 16 months or 5 years old when they get forced into rail by fighter. Always going to end bad

What a stupid comment. How the hell would you know whether the outcome would of been different. Could also mean that if the dog was not a puppy and was fully developed, he would not of broken his leg. Many dogs hit the rail, happens all the time, and they do not brake legs. But then thats not the point. The point is, the greedy trainer couldn't wait for the pup to grow up. The pup was 16 months old and never stood a chance.

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, JasonMc said:

Google silver collar winners for john

Google robert britton huge success with kiwi breds for Merv.

You must not have looked very far. These 2 gentleman know how to present a greyhound and very knowledgeable 

Yes I’m aware of Johns long history some of which has been good and bad hence the reason he’s not training anymore. And yes mr Britton is an excellent trainer . But his success has nothing to do with merv. But he did turn a good dog into a star .

5 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

And good day to you too proven liar Jonathan (I'm not telling you my last name but it's not "McInerney") lol.

Keyboard warrior (AKA Charles or has that become Danny?) signing out.

Excuse me buddy but I’m no liar far from it . Keep digging 

18 minutes ago, aquaman said:

What a stupid comment. How the hell would you know whether the outcome would of been different. Could also mean that if the dog was not a puppy and was fully developed, he would not of broken his leg. Many dogs hit the rail, happens all the time, and they do not brake legs. But then thats not the point. The point is, the greedy trainer couldn't wait for the pup to grow up. The pup was 16 months old and never stood a chance.

Obviously you did not see this race. The 5 dog comes out with head round, punches the 2 dog onto the 1 which hits the rail very hard. Don't think any dog would of walk away from that. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Honestly said:

Yes I’m aware of Johns long history some of which has been good and bad hence the reason he’s not training anymore. And yes mr Britton is an excellent trainer . But his success has nothing to do with merv. But he did turn a good dog into a star .

Are you backtracking now? Your comment said "nor could i find john"? But now you are saying you were aware of John. I cant keep up with your flip flopping . Rob got the race dogs Merv and Ali did all the ground work with them.

33 minutes ago, JasonMc said:

Are you backtracking now? Your comment said "nor could i find john"? But now you are saying you were aware of John. I cant keep up with your flip flopping . Rob got the race dogs Merv and Ali did all the ground work with them.

I will explain I said “I couldn’t find merv or John “ maybe I should have said currently. Yes mr Britton did get the race dog and he sure did get the best out of him didn’t he . 

8 hours ago, Honestly said:

I will explain I said “I couldn’t find merv or John “ maybe I should have said currently. Yes mr Britton did get the race dog and he sure did get the best out of him didn’t he . 

What a disingenuous statement. Both Clone Your Own and Above All were ready to go when sent to Mr Britton. They were bred, reared, educated, and trained by Merv and Alison. They arrived in Australia at the top of their game. All the fore said would be alien to Honestly. Mr Britton did a good job with ready made dogs. The best was there when they arrived. Mr Britton maintained them at their best. And whilst on the subject of Mr Britton, he I am sure does not, and would not line up 16 month old 33 kilo puppy dogs in races. He is far to good a trainer to do such cruel and stupid acts such as what happened to the puppy Chocolate Lover.

Just for you Honestly , if your the person I’m thinking of you would have been still at HIGH school .

Some 15 years ago I took a van load of dogs north , done a circuit of Wanganui, Cambridge and Auckland 

At Cambridge our northern  trainer at the time asked me if I would trial a dog for him , no big deal got the black dog out of his trailer trialed the dog end of story.

At Manukau on Sunday I’m approached by the then stipe , he asked me if I trialed a dog at Cambridge I said I hadn’t but I did handle a black dog for ???  , so the stipe asks me who the dog was I said to him no idea just a black dog I got out of his van ignorant prick kept saying you must know it’s name I told him the trainers over there just ask him no I’m asking you so I told him Mickey Mouse so he took note of the dogs name .

Next minute I’m charged with trialing a dog who had surposedly been scratch at Cambridge , good old northern trainer hung me out to dry .  Fuck him.

Stipe told me not to come back north again , so I told him to go fuck himself he then said I’ll run you out of town  so I told him I’ll break his other fucken leg don’t threaten me you prick .

Came back home and I’m informed by these clowns had fined me $700 ,  as it turned out the mug who sat on the case and found me guilty had apologised to me on the phone that he had to fine somebody and ??? is a good friend of his and he had to be seen to charge someone so unfortunately it’s you . Thanks Neal glad I taped it .

I handed in my lp ticket several years later

Edited by Yes Yes No
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, aquaman said:

What a disingenuous statement. Both Clone Your Own and Above All were ready to go when sent to Mr Britton. They were bred, reared, educated, and trained by Merv and Alison. They arrived in Australia at the top of their game. All the fore said would be alien to Honestly. Mr Britton did a good job with ready made dogs. The best was there when they arrived. Mr Britton maintained them at their best. And whilst on the subject of Mr Britton, he I am sure does not, and would not line up 16 month old 33 kilo puppy dogs in races. He is far to good a trainer to do such cruel and stupid acts such as what happened to the puppy Chocolate Lover.

I beg to differ but each to their own.

On 12/01/2019 at 9:25 AM, Yes Yes No said:

Dogs bones are still in the growth  stages up until 18 to 20 months of age so for someone to be racing them at 14 to 16 months is very detrimental to the pups welfare and it’s chances of fractures are increased  10 fold.

Bones at that age are still relatively soft , haven’t knitted  the strength and toughness in their bones as  they are from around 18 months and upwards.

I do believe that to be racing them at that age is animal abuse .

Merv O’ Brien

ps.  Andy good to see he came off okay 

So what age would you start racing merv ?would I be right in saying 20 months and older ?

Edited by Honestly

I see the dog farmer is lining up five 16 month old pups in the last at Forbury today. One of them is a 34.7 kilo dog. Three others are 33 plus kilo's. Four of them qualified at 14 months old, all have had at least one raceday start, and most having second start in four days. I will let you decide if this is good for animal welfare, and the image you would like projected about Greyhound racing in NewZealand.

30 minutes ago, aquaman said:

I see the dog farmer is lining up five 16 month old pups in the last at Forbury today. One of them is a 34.7 kilo dog. Three others are 33 plus kilo's. Four of them qualified at 14 months old, all have had at least one raceday start, and most having second start in four days. I will let you decide if this is good for animal welfare, and the image you would like projected about Greyhound racing in NewZealand.

Your right john, It's really piss poor.,I remember this debate on the other site a couple of years ago, I can't believe some trainers don't have the patience to wait a few more months for the dogs to mature especially those young big framed dogs, surely it would make more sense for the dogs longevity in racing and their immediate welfare. But the gypo's in the sport don't give a toss about welfare or the bad image the public get. I can't remember the last good news story to come from the Greyhound world.

• Like 1

No matter which way I look at this, it just does not make sense. Economically where is the advantage long term. By lining up immature pups, you risk serious injury. You risk wreaking their confidence for all time. You risk burn out early if they get that far. I can only conclude, its greed and stupidity that is the motivation. It also highlights an uncaring attitude towards animals. This type of behaviour will be the very ammunition that activists will bring to bear to have Greyhound racing banned. You would go a long way to find support from the Veterinary world as to the safety and long term welfare of allowing 14 month old dogs to race. And yet, the NZGRA allow this cruel behaviour. They are nothing but pri#ks.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aquaman said:

No matter which way I look at this, it just does not make sense. Economically where is the advantage long term. By lining up immature pups, you risk serious injury. You risk wreaking their confidence for all time. You risk burn out early if they get that far. I can only conclude, its greed and stupidity that is the motivation. It also highlights an uncaring attitude towards animals. This type of behaviour will be the very ammunition that activists will bring to bear to have Greyhound racing banned. You would go a long way to find support from the Veterinary world as to the safety and long term welfare of allowing 14 month old dogs to race. And yet, the NZGRA allow this cruel behaviour. They are nothing but pri#ks.

How is it they are allowed to compete in a qualifying trial younger than 16 months. Is the trial not supposed to be a simulated race requiring a time deemed fast enough for the dog to be competitive in a tote race? No wonder the qual trials at Addington are more likely demolition derby's at times with dogs no more than adolescents. I now truly believe no qual trials until 18 months, birches not to race till 18 months and dogs 20 months.  

Yes, a qualifying trial is a race with up to 8 dogs. It is know different to a tote race. And the NZGRA under their own rules, allows all dogs or bitches regardless of size, the right to start racing at 14 months old. And they have the audacity to preach they are interested and promote welfare for these beautiful animals. They are full of sh#t.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aquaman said:

Yes, a qualifying trial is a race with up to 8 dogs. It is know different to a tote race. And the NZGRA under their own rules, allows all dogs or bitches regardless of size, the right to start racing at 14 months old. And they have the audacity to preach they are interested and promote welfare for these beautiful animals. They are full of sh#t.

It’s a bit different to be honest. And John I know you have been out of touch for a long time but you need to re read the rule book because you are clearly wrong so please stop spreading lies .

5 hours ago, aquaman said:

You have no facts to back up your statement, oh wait you will say what about the poor dog that just broke down in a “racing incident “ had nothing to do with the track , thread called “wall of death” had nothing to do with the dogs age . Racing like it or not could cause injury’s just as I increase my chances of being hit by a car crossing the road (if I stayed inside) this wouldn’t happen. Show me some good hard proof starting racing at this age won’t see the dog have a long and healthy involvement in racing. This trainer has dogs start at this age have over 150 starts and still racing at 4 and 5 year olds . Look at the amount of dogs in their kennel , how old and how many starts they have now compared that to other trainers. They also race slow ones when others wouldn’t as it would ruin their image. I’m never going to change your point of view or your thoughts around their kennel nor will I try . But stick to the facts tell the truth and stop spreading lies.

7 minutes ago, Honestly said:

You have no facts to back up your statement, oh wait you will say what about the poor dog that just broke down in a “racing incident “ had nothing to do with the track , thread called “wall of death” had nothing to do with the dogs age . Racing like it or not could cause injury’s just as I increase my chances of being hit by a car crossing the road (if I stayed inside) this wouldn’t happen. Show me some good hard proof starting racing at this age won’t see the dog have a long and healthy involvement in racing. This trainer has dogs start at this age have over 150 starts and still racing at 4 and 5 year olds . Look at the amount of dogs in their kennel , how old and how many starts they have now compared that to other trainers. They also race slow ones when others wouldn’t as it would ruin their image. I’m never going to change your point of view or your thoughts around their kennel nor will I try . But stick to the facts tell the truth and stop spreading lies.

And while you are at it, why don't you get them to look at the amount of dogs McInerney rehomes... Oh wait... ?

Getting back to the subject on hand, was the dog put down? Or did he save it for rehoming? ?

Edited by BitofaLegend

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

The rule was changed August 2018.  The age is 16 months.