Bit Of A Yarn

Blood Spinning rules being reviewed!!!!

Brodie

The Blood Spinning rules are currently being reviewed by HRNZ and the update to the rules will be announced at the annual conference at the end of September.

As we all know the AllStars stable currently use the practice and the company that owns the business and lab that actually does the process is also owned by the owners of the AllStars stable.

Industry veteran David Phillips has written an 18000 word submission for the special review as part of the Messara Report!

Mr Phillips slams the process saying it is cruel and should be banned!

PETA and SPCA and SAFE also have concerns about the process and its affect on animal welfare!

Will be very interesting to see what happens here, as we all know that it does improve a horses performance unquestionably.

Yes some will come on and defend it, the Blue and Silver fan base, but we all know what is going on don’t we?

• Like 1

I just have this feeling the powers that be will make the right decision and it will be banned,  its the only result that makes sense...... If it is banned I'm sure many will be watching to see if any stables performance stats decrease at all

• Like 1

SAFE and SPCA are concerned about this Blood Spinning, and nothing been done to date!

SAFE and SPCA were t worried about the whip in harness racing and HRNZ brings in ridiculous rule!

Go figure?

Only right thing to do is it to be banned!

Still good vets around though!

Harness racing in New Zealand is no different in many respects to the industry in the rest of the world with the odd notable exception in our view.

While there is a knockers brigade in most countries within harness racing, some people in New Zealand seems to take it to extreme levels at times.

Some of the comments and feedback we get about our best and most successful are undeserved and ill founded but are firmly held and expressed by the people involved. 

It is very easy to get a bad reputation and incredibly difficult to shake it off in our experience

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Harness racing in New Zealand is no different in many respects to the industry in the rest of the world with the odd notable exception in our view.

While there is a knockers brigade in most countries within harness racing, some people in New Zealand seems to take it to extreme levels at times.

Some of the comments and feedback we get about our best and most successful are undeserved and ill founded but are firmly held and expressed by the people involved. 

It is very easy to get a bad reputation and incredibly difficult to shake it off in our experience

Greg

That's life .People think and judge everyday on all aspects of their lives. Its not as if harness racing lives in some bubble where this doesn't exist. I think its inaccurate to say harness racing in nz is any different,or as you put it extreme.

You make the point about the knockers brigade. But the mistake you and many others make is lumping everyone into the same group,who does not share your opinion.

Most I believe who comment on the blood spinning issue have reservations in relation to' level playing field and animal welfare'.

I personally think blood spinning is just one of those issues which magnifies how things have progressed to the point where access to the latest scientific advances have meant those with the most financial resources have considerable advantages over those who do not.  

Personally I think  this historically has been one of the major factors in decreased participation. People with views like you fail to acknowledge this point,and because of that you ignore ,and do not look for solutions, and all the while harness racing declines. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, the galah said:

That's life .People think and judge everyday on all aspects of their lives. Its not as if harness racing lives in some bubble where this doesn't exist. I think its inaccurate to say harness racing in nz is any different,or as you put it extreme.

You make the point about the knockers brigade. But the mistake you and many others make is lumping everyone into the same group,who does not share your opinion.

Most I believe who comment on the blood spinning issue have reservations in relation to' level playing field and animal welfare'.

I personally think blood spinning is just one of those issues which magnifies how things have progressed to the point where access to the latest scientific advances have meant those with the most financial resources have considerable advantages over those who do not.  

Personally I think  this historically has been one of the major factors in decreased participation. People with views like you fail to acknowledge this point,and because of that you ignore ,and do not look for solutions, and all the while harness racing declines. 

Too true What you have said!

Everyone knows that it is not a level playing field and there is absolutely no way that one stable can dominate the way it does for so long, without doing things differently or using something that gives them an advantage over all the others.

To say that it is just to do with being more professional is just a load of bollocks!

Harness Racing In NZ is haemorrhaging hugely at the moment for several reasons and will continue to do so while there is so much domination by one stable, and policies that the TAB are enforcing!

Will be very interesting what actually happens in regards to the rules of this Blood Spinning.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

you should gone to spec savers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I suppose i should have said where my previous post came from . It was Harness link Feb 3 2016 and the article was about Dave Phillips. ?

Greg

So your quoting an unnamed harnesslink writer, who wrote an article about mr phillips.

Harnesslink have always been  so far up certain stables backsides that i view most of what they write as propaganda.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, the galah said:

So your quoting an unnamed harnesslink writer, who wrote an article about mr phillips.

Harnesslink have always been  so far up certain stables backsides that i view most of what they write as propaganda.  

Yes to your question but did so the basis of comparative views about DP given that  Brodie wrote.

"Industry veteran David Phillips has written an 18000 word submission for the special review as part of the Messara Report!

Mr Phillips slams the process saying it is cruel and should be banned!"

You and others should read the whole article which was too long for here . It paints a very interesting picture of DP's contribution to the NZ Harness industry over many years. It might appear you either loved or loathed him but he was no doubt a first mover in many respects.

Greg

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Yes to your question but did so the basis of comparative views about DP given that  Brodie wrote.

"Industry veteran David Phillips has written an 18000 word submission for the special review as part of the Messara Report!

Mr Phillips slams the process saying it is cruel and should be banned!"

You and others should read the whole article which was too long for here . It paints a very interesting picture of DP's contribution to the NZ Harness industry over many years. It might appear you either loved or loathed him but he was no doubt a first mover in many respects.

Greg

I understood the point you were making.  Just as I do when others make the point that they believe there is a possibiity that blood spinning gives the users of that procedure an advantage over others.

My view is if the blood spinning was the secret weapon of the all stars then why would they make it available to everyone,albeit at a price.

I agree with brodie when he says "their dominance  due to them being more professional is bollocks".  Having said that I think everyone agrees they are the benchmark for excellence in harness racing,

But like ive said before,iI think they also lead the way on the use of products which enhance performance. And there have been scientific advances in this area in recent years which means the gap/dominance has become more noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 30/07/2019 at 1:09 PM, the galah said:

I understood the point you were making.  Just as I do when others make the point that they believe there is a possibiity that blood spinning gives the users of that procedure an advantage over others.

My view is if the blood spinning was the secret weapon of the all stars then why would they make it available to everyone,albeit at a price.

I agree with brodie when he says "their dominance  due to them being more professional is bollocks".  Having said that I think everyone agrees they are the benchmark for excellence in harness racing,

But like ive said before,iI think they also lead the way on the use of products which enhance performance. And there have been scientific advances in this area in recent years which means the gap/dominance has become more noticeable.

Might i enquire as to what these products are that you feel enhance All Stars horse's performances. Might start using them in future on my ponies

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash