Bit Of A Yarn

Ben Hope

boobybec

39 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Got to be one of the poorer juniors in NZ.  Even the way he sits in the cart is cringe worthy.  

Am I being harsh?  Give me Sarah O'Reilly or Mark Hurrell any day

Booby, why do you think he is one of the poorer Juniors in the country?

I would say he would be one of the best, even though he gets plenty of drives, his UDR is very good for a junior.

He has improved a ton  from when he first started, through experience.

Into his 3rd season he is winning at approx. every eith drive which isn’t too bad at all.

He is a likeable young fellah and very good when interviewed on Trackside

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Booby, why do you think he is one of the poorer Juniors in the country?

I would say he would be one of the best, even though he gets plenty of drives, his UDR is very good for a junior.

He has improved a ton  from when he first started, through experience.

Into his 3rd season he is winning at approx. every eith drive which isn’t too bad at all.

He is a likeable young fellah and very good when interviewed on Trackside

I think with the quality of drives he gets he should go better, I believe if Mark Hurrell got the same opportunities his stats would be better.  Perhaps because Mum and Dad's horses aren't going that well either isn't helping.  I just dislike the way he looks in the cart.  Doesn't look sexy like double d put it that way

Edited by boobybec
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, boobybec said:

I think with the quality of drives he gets he should go better, I believe if Mark Hurrell got the same opportunities his stats would be better.  Perhaps because Mum and Dad's horses aren't going that well either isn't helping.  I just dislike the way he looks in the cart.  Doesn't look sexy like double d put it that way

Yes I agree Mark Harrell is a very good Junior, not sure where he is at the moment as I haven’t seen him driving recently!

You are right the Hope horses aren’t going as well as normal however they will be back.

As for looking sexy in the cart, I don’t really look at them that way.

The top drivers do sit in the cart better than the ones that aren’t that great.

Ben is very fortunate that he has parents that train a large team and he gets

Plenty of drives from them, but if they weren’t happy with Ben driving then I am sure Greg would hook him! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boobybec said:

Got to be one of the poorer juniors in NZ.  Even the way he sits in the cart is cringe worthy.  

Am I being harsh?  Give me Sarah O'Reilly or Mark Hurrell any day

hey Bec your not being harsh  a lot of the boys think he is a shocker the senior drivers   got to feel for Ricky lost drives

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

a lot of the boys think he is a shocker the senior drivers

That is a pretty rough thing to say HTP. It is not like he is causing carnage out there.

Ben is out doing Mark Hurrell in the UDR.

The surprise looking at this table is the position of John Morrison. I had to screenshot his performance in separately.  I still don't think even these figures are a true indication about young up and comers so sweeping generalisations are pretty damaging.

image.thumb.png.350402d87fe0b8cb0e110a07cb43b083.pngimage.thumb.png.2f4f75b50085f573ff5d5f353e109e22.png

• Like 1

For what it is worth, I've never met him, but I don't mind B Hope, I think he goes alright and on the whole a pretty good driver. Just like every other driver they can go through ups and downs. 

Happy - that J Morrison stat surprised me.

He does move around in the cart more than most drivers  do in a finish, and it appears some don't like to see that.   

My take on that is it has  no relevance at all.  What is relevant to me  is whether horses are giving their best when he drives them out. From my observations they do.  He also knows the form of the opposition.

The negative I have is now days races at a lot of tracks are mostly won by drivers who drive at a consistent pace. The likes of Dunn, Orange and Anderson are masters at that. The Hope team seem to have most of their pacers trained so as to show speed early to take up a position and then again show speed at the end. This they do well,but those type of tactics are more suited  to tracks like Invercargill,the coast ,Blenheim.,etc. where there are not many lead changes .Of course sometimes those tactics can lead to horses over racing. 

He does get a lot of opportunities ,but I rate him one of the best junior drivers around at the moment. That's my opinion.. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Newmarket said:

He has had some plum drives over his career, so record is bleak. 
One thing i will say, he would be the most erratic junior in the home straight. He never goes straight, shunts out others, doesnt care. 

He used to be a bit of a problem earlier on but has improved immensely.

He is an enthusiastic young man that I believe has a big future in harness racing while it is still going.

• Haha 2

On 13/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, boobybec said:

The reason the hope's horses aren't going that well is the driver. But good on them for giving him a go. Ben has about much driving talent as his old man, can point them in the right direction but can't get one to lift!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

6 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

The reason the hope's horses aren't going that well is the driver. But good on them for giving him a go. Ben has about much driving talent as his old man, can point them in the right direction but can't get one to lift!

bens dad pointed trinity in the right direction and the rest were kitty littered

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

But if you watch the races at methven the horses he drove seemed to be giving everything they had at the  finish for him.

Sweeney todd, Vinnie rulz and Alyssa's delight all were positioned close enough if good enough and all seemed to give 100% .

His only other drive mega pixels did break. Ricky may is more likely to get that one to trot all the way at the moment although to be fair it looks like it would have been better drawn wider off the front.

• Like 2

Tough crowd on here, criticising young Ben Hope.

Considering Ben won  the Junior driver best UDR award last month, would tend to suggest that the criticism is not really warranted.

Anyway, not worth arguing about, our young drivers don’t need negative talk about them, when we need more of them in the industry, for it to continue.

I aM sure Ben will continue to drive plenty of winners and let us see in a years time how he has gone?

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 4

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Tough crowd on here, criticising young Ben Hope.

Considering Ben won  the Junior driver best UDR award last month, would tend to suggest that the criticism is not really warranted.

Anyway, not worth arguing about, our young drivers don’t need negative talk about them, when we need more of them in the industry, for it to continue.

I aM sure Ben will continue to drive plenty of winners and let us see in a years time how he has gone?

Fair comment Brodster time will tell there. I just think there are better young drivers out there who aren't in the right families to make a go of it.  Pretty much sums up the industry

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

42 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Fair comment Brodster time will tell there. I just think there are better young drivers out there who aren't in the right families to make a go of it.  Pretty much sums up the industry

Boobybec, yes you are correct, and that has always been the way in harness racing.

There are many trainers and drivers that come from racing families that haven’t been as successful as they should’ve, but not going to name them on here.

There are many Junior drivers that were very promising but have more or less left the industry as not able to make a career out of it financially.

Graeme Ward, is the first name that comes to mind.

Our top Junior many years ago and was promising and think he has only had one or two horses at the races as a trainer.

Once out of his time as a Junior or probationary driver seemed to be lost from harness.

There are others as well but they know that there is not enough money in it for them unfortunately.

Ben Hope has improved immensely from when he first drove and yes there was some talk, but I believe he has a good future in the game as he is keen and forever learning and pretty grounded I would say.

We all should wish him and all our young ones coming thru the very best as we need them to continue in the game

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brodie said:

There are many Junior drivers that were very promising but have more or less left the industry as not able to make a career out of it financially.

Graeme Ward, is the first name that comes to mind.

Our top Junior many years ago and was promising and think he has only had one or two horses at the races as a trainer.

Once out of his time as a Junior or probationary driver seemed to be lost from harness.

surely you are just taking the piss with this nonsense

yes it fits the tale you are trying to tell lol