Bit Of A Yarn

M.C..bit of a ...yawn!

holy ravioli

Are people ,NZ'ers losing interest in the Melbourne Cup?

With the Everest,The Golden Mile ,the Cox plate glamour and the fact that the Cup seems a gift for the overseas brigade these days,has the average fan gone off it as the big event that stops a nation?

NZ had a heritage of producing great stayers to excel at the Derby and Cup distances.Yes the Aussies can breed great sprinters but you could look across the Tasman for a decent stayer.

Those days are...gone...will they ever..return?Rugby-X,Racing-X,and beer (Lion Red/DB)X!!

The Fosters Melbourne Cup now the Emirates Melbourne Cup....who's flying?

Its an Aussie thing mate...thats what the Aussie sheila's reckon anyway. Aussies have got no staying power, a quick flash and its all over.

I see someone suggesting 50% of the field should be reserved for Aussie/NZ horses, the rest UK, Japan etc. Thats bullshit. To carry on being the race that stops Aus/NZ it needs to be the best field possible..on the day. If its dominated by overseas horses, tough shit. Concentrate on breeding and developing young horses to stay the distance! And you aussie blokes too?

• Like 2

The average fan may have gone off it. For me, the race is better than ever before. I've attended 20 cups and the Europeans make the race a better event for me.

The supporting races may be lower grade than derby day etc, but the fields are generally very large making for difficult betting with no standouts usually.

Irrespective of whether Il Paradiso/Constantinople wins or not, the idea that the NH 3yos are well weighted is pure knee jerk reaction and 100% unfounded. Those that win, are simply better than the rest at the time. Both of the last two winners simply had better credentials than the rest. The better 3yos will come, the better older horses won't. Straight away that will likely put the 3yos to the fore of those horses that come from off-shore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mardigras said:

The average fan may have gone off it. For me, the race is better than ever before. I've attended 20 cups and the Europeans make the race a better event for me.

The supporting races may be lower grade than derby day etc, but the fields are generally very large making for difficult betting with no standouts usually.

Irrespective of whether Il Paradiso/Constantinople wins or not, the idea that the NH 3yos are well weighted is pure knee jerk reaction and 100% unfounded. Those that win, are simply better than the rest at the time. Both of the last two winners simply had better credentials than the rest. The better 3yos will come, the better older horses won't. Straight away that will likely put the 3yos to the fore of those horses that come from off-shore.

How did you get on Derby day Mardi?

1 minute ago, Mooncoin said:

How did you get on Derby day Mardi?

Pretty poorly. I rated 7 of the 9 in the top 3. But I'd assessed them on a good track and lost confidence when it bucketed down. And top rated then still won. That's racing. I usually don't change bet, just amount. Cup day is forecast to be dryer. Happy about that.

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:52 PM, holy ravioli said:

yes the  CC was a  good guide  this year!?

it always has been and always will be the best single guide to MC chances. Any horse running on well or winning strongly that goes on to the MC is a great ew chance in the Cup.

14 hours ago, Thomass said:

Here's the tip Happy...

...if Frankie had half blinds on...he wins

BIG RED FLAG for you here, Thomass. 

1) You're supposed to tip the horse for Happy before the race. (Who knew?)

2) Frankie didn't need half blinds, he needed half a brain to be functioning, cos he went way too soon on MoR, didn't correct the horse soon enough when veering dramatically Stage Left, didn't change his whip hand to compensate for that, wanted to cry after the race (sookie-bubba - when it was his own fault, not the horse's) and admitted a charge of careless riding - in the MELBOURNE CUP!

Edited by Weasel
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Weasel said:

BIG RED FLAG for you here, Thomass. 

1) You're supposed to tip the horse for Happy before the race. (Who knew?)

2) Frankie didn't need half blinds, he needed half a brain to be functioning, cos he went way too soon on MoR, didn't correct the horse soon enough when veering dramatically Stage Left, didn't change his whip hand to compensate for that, wanted to cry after the race (sookie-bubba - when it was his own fault, not the horse's) and admitted a charge of careless riding - in the MELBOURNE CUP!

Toot toot chuga chuga right back at ya Wees....

Happy doesn't care a toot for Thoroughbreds...so he got what was coming...

As for Fwankie...he could ride you senseless while swinging a wabbit with one hand and chewing on a dried up old weasels pizzle

You missed seeing Fwankie Star Jumping his way into overjoyment...but got WILLO thanking EVERYONE on Earth including his Dentist...

19 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Happy doesn't care a toot for Thoroughbreds...so he got what was coming...

I asked you , as a seemingly knowledgeable person on the galloping code, what would be worth a look in the MC. Better than a stab in the dark on my part as the MC is a maze of uncertainty with all the variable factors.

Were you worried I was going to influence the tote and FF pools? 

Don't panic. I won't ask again.

• Like 2

Sorry Happy I could have sworn you were the one who accused me of dismantling this Thoroughbred site by posting normal debatable stuff?

...when those who couldn't handle a debate...buggered off when hit midships with facts...

If not my advice is to follow the Blue Print in any race...young legs, less convictions, 20% extra for Blinkers et el....best

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Sorry Happy I could have sworn you were the one who accused me of dismantling this Thoroughbred site by posting normal debatable stuff?

...when those who couldn't handle a debate...buggered off when hit midships with facts...

If not my advice is to follow the Blue Print in any race...young legs, less convictions, 20% extra for Blinkers et el....best

Fair enough.

18 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Thomas happy is a good bugger