Bit Of A Yarn

Cup day value

Richie

50 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I agree with all your other selections except winterfell, I put this horse in the same category as chase Auckland very overated....I think your bloke will run 3rd from that crap draw winterfell 4th or 5th.... good luck tomorrow

If Winterfell has to work I think he,s a gonna. But its AS on premier day, "you know" turbo boost and all that eh Entebee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 years ago the first race was $25k in prize money... and shock horror still is which is absolutely pathetic and I bet the winner will be lucky to get $12k, poor form from NZ Met and HRNZ.

A few EW

King Cassidy

Ruthless Kayla

Sundees Sun 

Bad to the Bone

Ali Lindenny 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunterthepunter said:

interesting watching news tonight showing a horse that was meant to be classy brigade at Woodend beach a bay horse when classy brigade is a dark bay so what horse was it???

The horse on the beach was classy,  the horse heather was washing is one she is part owner of expresso denario , yip Heather is a Witch

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

20 years ago the first race was $25k in prize money... and shock horror still is which is absolutely pathetic and I bet the winner will be lucky to get $12k

Good point Dougie, you're on to it mate.

Back in '99 the first 3 races (after the first 2 races on another meeting code, (don't ask)) were all $15k with the winner receiving $9,065 and a dress rug. 

But back in '94... 

The first three races were worth $10,500-$11,000.

And an advert in the racebook has 21 inch Philips TVs (with built in teletext and remote control) going for an amazing price of only $999 at Smiths City. 

Winning owners back in '94 could have bought 6, possibly 7 of those tvs. 

Win a race tomorrow and the winning owners could buy way more tvs, that are way bigger and better (admittedly without free to air trackside shown for all races and no teletext).

So that has left me wondering.... is stake money better now than '94 ?!?!?

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

20 years ago the first race was $25k in prize money... and shock horror still is which is absolutely pathetic and I bet the winner will be lucky to get $12k, poor form from NZ Met and HRNZ.

Thought I'd have a quick peek to see if anything sensible was being discussed on Cup eve, but it seems to be just the same old misinformation. In fact, the R1 (3200 trot) stake 20 years ago was $14939, which (according to the RBNZ inflation calculator) is equivalent to $22737 in 2019 dollars. So the race stake has actually increased by 10% in real terms.

If you're going to moan, at least try to get some basic facts right first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Thought I'd have a quick peek to see if anything sensible was being discussed on Cup eve, but it seems to be just the same old misinformation. In fact, the R1 (3200 trot) stake 20 years ago was $14939, which (according to the RBNZ inflation calculator) is equivalent to $22737 in 2019 dollars. So the race stake has actually increased by 10% in real terms.

If you're going to moan, at least try to get some basic facts right first.

Basil , to be fair the median price of a house in Christchurch in 1999 was $175k and 20 years later it is $450k so an increase of $257% over that 20 years.

On that basis the stake going on your $14,939 should be $38,393 so effectively a extremely low increase in stake compared to someone who has invested in a property, Basil.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Basil , to be fair the median price of a house in Christchurch in 1999 was $175k and 20 years later it is $450k so an increase of $257% over that 20 years.

On that basis the stake going on your $14,939 should be $38,393 so effectively a extremely low increase in stake compared to someone who has invested in a property, Basil.

Not sure how you can compare inflated house prices to stakes.It like comparing a lettuce that was 90c in in 1999 with a lettuce now that 99c so stakes are away above what they should be.

Basil's comparison with inflation rates much more appicable

• Like 2

It's not worth mid range northern horses coming down south to run for $25k  when they can stay home and race against weaker opposition for decent stakes. The minimum race money on cup day needs to be $50,000. it's a bit embarrassing. And get rid of the maiden race, no place for it on our showcase day

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Not sure how you can compare inflated house prices to stakes.It like comparing a lettuce that was 90c in in 1999 with a lettuce now that 99c so stakes are away above what they should be.

Basil's comparison with inflation rates much more appicable

The point being that people are going to be a helluva lot better off than people who are racing horses without doubt.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1