Bit Of A Yarn

Goodbye Davey Mac

I wonder if the Southland clubs will keep Dave as concourse commentator like they did when Roadio Pacific got rid of him 

Dave is a hell of a nice guy 

Very strange really as he dose all 3 codes and dont have to travel far to get to the venues 

Edited by Mehe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Only eight staff will be used in the studio - the 10 people invited to apply for the jobs include Bevan Sweeney, Brendan Popplewell, Greg O’Connor, Aidan Rodley, Marc Cookson, Pip Morris, Darryl Robinson, Pat Comerford, Nicole Simms and Emily Bosson.

I wonder if Mick paid the price for this truthful comment a wee while back...

"We are going to show Healesville guys. Healesville is going to go across to Trackside 2, and lets be honest, you probably don't care do you, because you probably didn't have a bet at Healesville and I 100% don't care.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mehe said:

I wonder if the Southland clubs will keep Dave as concourse commentator like they did when Roadio Pacific got rid of him 

Dave is a hell of a nice guy 

Very strange really as he dose all 3 codes and dont have to travel far to get to the venues 

My guess is he's gone because Justin Evans' salary was less

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Are the big wigs at RITA being retained?

R.I.P. Racing NZ.

I thought you were smarter than that Brodie. Everyone said TAB and NZRB were way to costly to run so when the changes came as in above you all want to moan. Less top costs means more for stakes and owners. Isn't that what everyone has been asking for or are you being selfish in turns of wanting more for yourself.

Greg

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

pend more than $50m on a dog of a website, pay $17m per year for it, but can't even have radio Trackside anymore. Absolutely farkn clueless. 

Stick to the facts Rusty , that was the previous call of NZRB management and Board to spend the money and pay an annual fee. Sheer stupidity and that's why they are no longer there

Greg

20 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I thought you were smarter than that Brodie. Everyone said TAB and NZRB were way to costly to run so when the changes came as in above you all want to moan. Less top costs means more for stakes and owners. Isn't that what everyone has been asking for or are you being selfish in turns of wanting more for yourself.

Greg

He said the 'big wigs' As in the top dogs.

What are the big bosses and their huge salaries giving up?

How this is about Brodie wanting more for himself I don't know.

Edited by Happy Sunrise
  • Champ Post 1

18 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Stick to the facts Rusty , that was the previous call of NZRB management and Board to spend the money and pay an annual fee. Sheer stupidity and that's why they are no longer there

Greg

The "powers that be" are the same in my book mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I wonder if Mick paid the price for this truthful comment a wee while back...

"We are going to show Healesville guys. Healesville is going to go across to Trackside 2, and lets be honest, you probably don't care do you, because you probably didn't have a bet at Healesville and I 100% don't care.

I remember hearing him say that. Bloody funny.

He called it as he saw it, on a number of occasions, and this undoubtedly upset management at times. Did he care? Nope. 

And whilst he was not everyone's cuppa tea, I liked him for offering his opinions on most things, and didn't just sit on the fence. 

"Marker pegs are gold, gold, gold." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

So you save money at the DHB's by sacking the nurses or get rid of the bakers in your bread bakery.

Yeah that'll work.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

You refuse to get it don't you.  Aside from the CEO/Chairman the Board and top management are largely the same.  Especially those who pushed the betting and broadcast investment decisions.  They just changed the name NZRB to RITA.

So do you think Mackenzie decided on a case by case basis who got the chop?

Plus it's taken nearly a year for this supposedly new board and top management (It isn't new) to make changes.  Instead they continued with the old decisions.

Would they have continued along the same route as before if it hadn't been for Covid-19?  Well all the signs are they would have.  

If I was the Minister or in Cabinet I would be querying why they put their hands out for the Covid-19 subsidy when it was clearly apparent that they were insolvent and living beyond their means.  Oh I just remembered isn't the latter just what Hon Peters said a few days ago?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mehe said:

Yes could be but where dose Justin Evan's live is he in Southland 

So dose any one know as if he has to come from other parts of the country maybe that might be more than Davey's amount of salary he gets

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

JJ,  Brodie smarter than what? I am as smart as I need to be, anymore smart and I would be pretty dangerous.

Of course we all know that the TAB and RITA were wasting too much money and not operating very well at all.

We have been advised that there were 10 employees being paid by the punter in excess of $250k and up to $750k currently and previously $1million.

This is just plain lunacy and exhorbitancy that the industry can not afford to pay if the racing industry is to continue.

The people that provide the entertainment work long and hard for not a lot of return and yet these big wigs week in and week out draw massive salaries for doing exactly what????

Yes there will be savings by effectively sacking over 230 employees, but if they had all these extras why wasn’t this action done previously, and don’t blame Covid19.

These employees who have been taking home these big salaries have been making blatantly stupid and costly decisions and yet they will remain on the RITA payroll drawing just as ludicrous salaries they always have.

I have no idea what Dave McDonald, Guerin, Whale etc were on or how much it cost to run Trackside radio, therefore what the savings are going to be!

However JJ, what I would suggest to you is that the punters that we need to be offloading on racing, is not going to be bothered having a crack at Dubai Camel Racing as they won’t know the form of the bloody camels, although the track will always be sandy!

Trackside TV racing in NZ is going to be pretty bland and boring without any presentation and the wall to wall that comes in from Australia whether it be dogs, harness or gallops is pretty mind d numbing.

As for being selfish JJ, who is being more selfish in your opinion.

Brodie for wanting to be treated equally with all other punters in NZ or the RITA big wigs who are receiving massive salaries for doing two fifths of eff all?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

The "powers that be" are the same in my book mate. 

FFS , its a new board and executive CEO who were put there to fix the place and make it fit for purpose in 2020.

In case you missed it the old board are gone and so are the CEO and CFO, the latter under a potential cloud

Greg

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you save money at the DHB's by sacking the nurses or get rid of the bakers in your bread bakery.

Yeah that'll work.

Your replies suggest you have a lot of issues which i'm unable to help you with. Thank god you have no control over racing in NZ based on your arguements but each to their own.

Greg

12 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What are the big bosses and their huge salaries giving up?

I would hazard a guess and say their jobs and in the case of incoming CEO a decent pay cut. Would that be enough for you and others to be  happy and contented??

Greg

21 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Your replies suggest you have a lot of issues which i'm unable to help you with. Thank god you have no control over racing in NZ based on your arguements but each to their own.

Greg

Rattled are we JJ Flash?  Starting to play the man.

If I was you I wouldn't try that with the other website forums.

• Champ Post 1

Let me paint a picture for you guys. Davey Mac was a contractor getting up to $1000 a meeting give or take. That’s for all Southland gallops, trots and greyhounds. How much do you think that costs a year? Would think probably at least $130,000.

Evans is on salary of approx $70,000 to call an unlimited numbers of meetings within reason from South Canterbury to Otago.

By letting Davey go they cut the wage bill from $200,000 to $70,000 plus lets say an extra $20,000 in incidental costs (motel rooms and travel/food subsidies).

To someone with no feel for the fabric of the game, just numbers, that would make sense.

It’s a damn shame but MacDonald was surely within a year or two of retiring anyway?

As for Lichter, that info isn’t too hard to source - you just have to ring people within the company that are disenfranchised. Certainly wouldn’t be getting it from Guerin, they are what you might call the opposite of friends harking back to the Geoff Small controversy days.

Edited by Spatchcock