Bit Of A Yarn

Goodbye Davey Mac

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

FFS , its a new board and executive CEO who were put there to fix the place and make it fit for purpose in 2020.

They are largely the same if not in person definitely in kind and approach.  If you are looking for "fit for purpose" then read the NEW Board's Statement of Intent delivered to the Minister in November 2019.  It is the same old same old BS.

McKenzie was happy to put his name to the 2018-19 Annual Report presented the same month reporting "a successful year."  Really?

Yet he has yet to release the half yearly report that would show what his first 8 months achieved.  Go figure why!

SOI_2019_Report_RITA_FINAL@1101.pdf

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Rattled are we JJ Flash?  Starting to play the man.

If I was you I wouldn't try that with the other website forums.

Not at all, as for playing the man , you and a few others are far better at it than me so its a no contest from me.

I dont need your advice as to what is acceptable or not on other forums , have had no problems thusfar , in fact they come across as mostly reasonable types. You should not let your historical grievances get in the way of a good discussion, others dont

Greg

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Not at all, as for playing the man , you and a few others are far better at it than me so its a no contest from me.

I dont need your advice as to what is acceptable or not on other forums , have had no problems thusfar , in fact they come across as mostly reasonable types. You should not let your historical grievances get in the way of a good discussion, others dont

Greg

I suggest you consistently try telling the two ex jockey's they have serious issues.  LOL.  Suggest for one you get a new phone number.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Spatchcock said:

Let me paint a picture for you guys. Davey Mac was a contractor getting up to $1000 a meeting give or take. That’s for all Southland gallops, trots and greyhounds. How much do you think that costs a year? Would think probably at least $130,000.

Evans is on salary of approx $70,000 to call an unlimited numbers of meetings within reason from South Canterbury to Otago.

By letting Davey go they cut the wage bill from $200,000 to $70,000 plus lets say an extra $20,000 in incidental costs (motel rooms and travel/food subsidies).

To someone with no feel for the fabric of the game, just numbers, that would make sense.

It’s a damn shame but MacDonald was surely within a year or two of retiring anyway?

As for Lichter, that info isn’t too hard to source - you just have to ring people within the company that are disenfranchised. Certainly wouldn’t be getting it from Guerin, they are what you might call the opposite of friends harking back to the Geoff Small controversy days.

So are you saying that Evans wont get any extra money for calling twice as much when things go back to normal

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I would hazard a guess and say their jobs and in the case of incoming CEO a decent pay cut. Would that be enough for you and others to be  happy and contented??

Greg

As long as they are paying a price for the debacle as much as the front line workers are so yes.

• Like 2

Someone asked how much does Radio Trackside cost.  The biggest cost would be personnel costs.  Broadcasting costs would be SFA for Radio.

The total operational cost of Broadcasting for 2019 was $9.5m.  That includes TV broadcasting which would obviously take up the lion's share of that cost.

Broadcasting a radio station especially digitally costs stuff all.  You don't even need a studio nowadays.  Sky Radio in OZ 2KY was running a show from people's homes.  There was some funny moments where one commentators kids were letting rip in the background.  

I remember Radio Sport once being run from Nathan Rarere's home - for some reason he couldn't make it to the Studio.

Maybe there is an opportunity for an alternative racing show.

6 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

As long as they are paying a price for the debacle as much as the front line workers are so yes.

Im hopeful that will be the case going forward. Given they all took pay cut some time ago the portents are looking good. Have you or anyone heard anything from HRNZ board about their responses to Convid 19

Greg

On 11/05/2020 at 5:41 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

A few extremely dedicated people got dumped unceremoniously today. Guerin, Davey Mac, the Whale and Jason Teaz who I thought had character.

Not dumped in my opinion due to the virus but due to the incompetence racing leaders showed over a period of years.

I always thought racing was a show with its characters, human and equine alike, being pushed to the forefront but without them it is just like...a meaningless pokie machine. And that is what we have now.

That is sad. Truly.

I thought all four had good character. I hope they revise that decision later on, I know its the times but fuck these guys should be last to go after the years of dedication!  while some overpaid asshole keeps his job and continues to run the product into the ground just to move on when it all turns to shit, and probably move on to Auckland warriors management, Davey mac no spring chicken, could get by the virus eventually, Its the TAB treat your customer like a meaning less fly on the wall gambling addict thats killing this industry,

How long till they roll out a campaign of Horse Racing Video pokies? Its gotta be close!

• Like 3

Very sad to hear the  Davey Macdonald era has come to an end, regardless what he has or hasn't been paid is not worth the thought, we need to thank him for his 44 years of service and dedication, I for one will miss his race calls from the deep south, but will will have the fond memories of all his calls, but 3 of them special, involving a horse I have part owned, still have them them on my sky, and have relived so many times, also to Jason Teaz, who has also called a couple of winners for me, these guys will be sadly missed, for their race day calling.One of my favourite lines by J Teaz was at a Oamaru gallop meeting, when his comment was, highforty like the boy with the wheelbarrow, he's got the job in front of him,another, like a couple of yachts travelling at two knots on a freezing cold winters day and a bog track at wingatu.,All the best to both, let's hope they are not totally lost to the industry. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

So by the look of it STEVE DAVIS has gone as well?

Gee that will be a heck of a loss won’t it?????

Some liked him though, I thought he was great too on mute!

Has been gradually phasing himself out of Trackside for ages. I thought he was great for TB's and had immense knowledge on most facets of the game.

As you say though Brodie, each to their own. ?

25 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Has been gradually phasing himself out of Trackside for ages. I thought he was great for TB's and had immense knowledge on most facets of the game.

As you say though Brodie, each to their own. ?

Greg, yes he had knowledge of thoroughbreds, but nothing with harness or dogs.

It was the constant shite that he continually spat out that was not needed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Greg, yes he had knowledge of thoroughbreds, but nothing with harness or dogs.

It was the constant shite that he continually spat out that was not needed.

As far as knowledge of TB's goes he was always shown up by that Luke bloke years ago...and didn't like it one bit.

He thought he was a big star but no one outside racing knew him from Harry Shitbags.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Greg, yes he had knowledge of thoroughbreds, but nothing with harness

Totally disagree Brodie. 

He had heard of Christian Cullen and Bettor's Delight and that they were good sires haha

18 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

As far as knowledge of TB's goes he was always shown up by that Luke bloke years ago...

Luke Radich knows his stuff. 

Not limited to horses either. 

He knew Martina Hingis at $3's was "exceptional value" against Li Na, in the Aussie Open (tennis) back in 2007. 

Shot Luke, well played! 

For those that aren't aware, the TAB "bookies" mixed up the odds on the two players. Luke knew the odds... and beat them. 

• Like 2

Having no radio coverage does seem to be a counter productive move.

Can they produce the figures as to what % of their customers  require that medium to maintain their current levels of spending.

The answer would be no,otherwise they would have produced the data to justify such a decision. Its all a calculated guess by someone who appears out of touch with reality.

In Australia they have gone back to free to air TV  for some of the saturday meetings and some parts of the industry are pushing for free to air tv to be expanded. It seems decision makers within the industry  and tv channels are pushing for the expanded coverage as they believe there is a demand for it.

Why do nz decision makers have opposite views to the australians.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, the galah said:

Why do nz decision makers have opposite views to the australians.

Because instead of revisiting poor strategic decisions made in the past they continue to make decisions today to justify them.  For example the very very expensive move towards High Definition broadcasting.  The market doesn't want it or need it.  BUT they are still manipulating everything to justify that strategic decision.  For example the race tracks that are the first to reopen are those that have the expensive infrastructure installed NOT what is best for the industry.

If RITA had any balls they would revisit those prior decisions and cut their losses.  I'm guessing that they won't because there are too many connections and why embarrass your mates?

• Like 2