Bit Of A Yarn

What's up at ....Lisa's ???

This year our horse Magnolia Man made a winning debut at Kurow (30th Dec) then backed up to win at Waikouaiti (1st Jan) with no ‘help’

We once had a horse that won 4 in 7 days on the southern xmas circuit. Now the administrators of this game try to stop you backing horses up as they have a ridiculous 48 hour rule.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pitman said:

This year our horse Magnolia Man made a winning debut at Kurow (30th Dec) then backed up to win at Waikouaiti (1st Jan) with no ‘help’

We once had a horse that won 4 in 7 days on the southern xmas circuit. Now the administrators of this game try to stop you backing horses up as they have a ridiculous 48 hour rule.

China White?

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Yes.

And off nine days work.

Wasn't she a freak , was there when she ran 2nd to Good Lord , screaming for her out wide then GL snuck up along the rail , if i remember rightly C Ramage rode and i think he lost his whip as well . I reckon to this day if she had seen him she would have won , but not a bad horse to be beaten by tho , franked the form with 2 Sydney cups and plenty of others as well . 

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

But she was tough.  She backed up after running second to Good Lord's 1977 Cup and won over 2400m breaking then NZ record for the distance on 3 legs!  This was AFTER breaking a sesamoid bone at age 5 and not racing for two years!

Could've heard a pin drop when R Skelton led her back to scale , Varnamo 2nd i think , memory isn't 100% sound tho .

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

Wasn't she a freak , was there when she ran 2nd to Good Lord , screaming for her out wide then GL snuck up along the rail , if i remember rightly C Ramage rode and i think he lost his whip as well . I reckon to this day if she had seen him she would have won , but not a bad horse to be beaten by tho , franked the form with 2 Sydney cups and plenty of others as well . 

Yes, you're right, Chris did drop his whip.

And another pretty fair effort was in winning the Dunedin Gold Cup ( 2400 ) and the very next day the Timaru Cup ( 1600 ).

She broke all the rules. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes, you're right, Chris did drop his whip.

And another pretty fair effort was in winning the Dunedin Gold Cup ( 2400 ) and the very next day the Timaru Cup ( 1600 ).

She broke all the rules. 

The trainer broke all the rules , she was just great enough to cover his arse . Bringing back fond memories .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomates said:

i was there with you, Nomates .on the upper deck of the public grandstand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weasel said:

i was there with you, Nomates .on the upper deck of the public grandstand

I was in the very bottom right hand corner , we always got there early to get that posi' , but i always just enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere as the crowd grew and the anticipation as we got closer to the races starting , even as a teenager . I'm getting misty , ha .

1 minute ago, nomates said:

I was in the very bottom right hand corner , we always got there early to get that posi' , but i always just enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere as the crowd grew and the anticipation as we got closer to the races starting , even as a teenager . I'm getting misty , ha .

great memories alright, of Trentham on a hot summer's day and the amazing view of the action from on high, up there in the clouds ...saw Uncle Remus win the Derby from there, too ..

• Like 1

They don't make them like that anymore, the only competition she had in my opinion was Vo Rogue, if you saw what Vic Rail fed him you'd need an asprin and a lay down. A few name trainers tried to 'pinch' Vo, reckoned they'd put lengths on him, you know what, I reckon if they had of tried conventional means, he would have regressed.......funny old world.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:26 AM, Pitman said:

Back in the day late 1980s early 1990s:I remember many horses backing up&being competitive on all three days of the Riverton Easter Carnival(Saturday,Monday ,Tuesday)I also remember(I think) more than 1 or 2 winning on all 3 days.

On 21/08/2020 at 8:34 PM, Extra Dollars said:

Back in the day late 1980s early 1990s:I remember many horses backing up&being competitive on all three days of the Riverton Easter Carnival(Saturday,Monday ,Tuesday)I also remember(I think) more than 1 or 2 winning on all 3 days.

Happens all the time. However there is an art in backing up a horse. I've seen trainers time after time back up with no success where as others not only back up but totally turn the form around leaving punters scratching their heads.

On 21/08/2020 at 8:34 PM, Extra Dollars said:

is magnolia still racing

On 18/08/2020 at 4:05 PM, Freda said:

Clarrie McCarthy won both legs of the double at [ I think ] Waikouaiti one year with an Alcimedes stallion whose name escapes me...and Lionel Pratt regularly sent horses around very frequently - and with great success.

See if you can find any info on Cloudy View...

I am sure in Bill Skelton's book he said Cloudy View had 11 starts in seven days

That would be back in the fifties or earlier though so no show he was by Grey William

Remember(and I do only vaguely as I was very young) when they could win successive maidens with a ten pound penalty each time(when noms were weeks ahead of the races and you could run them out).  I think a horse called Fountain King won about four on the trot on the Coast in the early seventies - Graeme Mein rode it (again I think)

Last horse I remember running twice in a day was at Greymouth -  a horse of Peter Rudkin's called Trimax.  Probably 13 to 14 years ago. They stopped it after that.

Course some of the trotters would run three times in a day.

• Champ Post 1

If I remember John Skinner won 3 maidens at a Marlborough/Nelson/Blenheim back in the early 70's.....same horse..... penalised 7lb each day.....as long as you had nommed you could run........hell those meetings were classic, the pubs were full, the towns closed up half day and the track was pumping, booze, Shielas, horses, what more could you want......turnover........turnover......Petone could only dream now, but the dreams over, it's a f#%n nightmare........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1