Bit Of A Yarn

The Box Seat Returns

53 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Really? Seemingly so if you look at the names of races at Auckland and Addington.

Makes you wonder about the decisions made during the 'covid crisis' and what an epic back flip.

Who will be on it??????

image.thumb.png.823a3106cb7a1911317e272f8abb3d6b.png

image.thumb.png.f854fbcd53a82b2baf37ac6e54571951.png

Back flips,maybe things might mostly come back to similar in time,who knows.

As long as is it isnt the same AllStars BS every week, it will be welcomed back!

Hopefully it will be previews rather than the reviews, as who cares about races that have already been run??

Give us the interesting stuff and topical instead of wanking on about $1.50 favourites and what Self Assured should be paying in the Cup!!!
So damn boring week in and week out until November!

Will the Cup even be run this year, with Arderrn still at the helm??

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

As long as is it isnt the same AllStars BS every week, it will be welcomed back!

Hopefully it will be previews rather than the reviews, as who cares about races that have already been run??

Give us the interesting stuff and topical instead of wanking on about $1.50 favourites and what Self Assured should be paying in the Cup!!!

Actually i would like to hear mick guerin's take on how the all stars team has been performing so far this season.  

We all have our own opinions on the lengths guerin will go to ridicule anything negative that may be said about the all stars. So how does he think they are going this season?

Here's my take.

The all stars still set the benchmark for excellence and are our best trainers,but.....anyone can see that in the last 4 months they are not operating at the "Bulletprooof' level that those on the box seat constantly refer too.

Can mick guerin please come up with a reasonable explanation?

Heres the all stars UDR since they have been purdon/rasmussen.

2014  .4543

2015  .4496

2016  .5063

2017  .4493

2018  .4762

2019  .4828

2020  .4540

this season  .3635   Now i know any other trainer would love to have a udr of.3635,but this is a significant drop in performance from our elite stable.

What the most interesting feature of how they are performing is that the horses get tired near the finish after a hard run.That is what is so noticeable.

Like i said,they are still our no 1 stable,but can Guerin explain why.

Of course i know what his answer will be. He will drag out the same old tall poppy,jealous, haters line that he always takes.He will not address what i refer to.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, the galah said:

this season  .3635   Now i know any other trainer would love to have a udr of.3635,but this is a significant drop in performance from our elite stable.

Is that for the calendar year or since 1 August?  If the latter a bit pointless doing a comparison as we are only 6 weeks in.

They would only need to achieve their average strike rate for the rest of the year to be above their two lowest years.

Edited by Noodlum

24 minutes ago, the galah said:

Actually i would like to hear mick guerin's take on how the all stars team has been performing so far this season.  

We all have our own opinions on the lengths guerin will go to ridicule anything negative that may be said about the all stars. So how does he think they are going this season?

Here's my take.

The all stars still set the benchmark for excellence and are our best trainers,but.....anyone can see that in the last 4 months they are not operating at the "Bulletprooof' level that those on the box seat constantly refer too.

Can mick guerin please come up with a reasonable explanation?

Heres the all stars UDR since they have been purdon/rasmussen.

2014  .4543

2015  .4496

2016  .5063

2017  .4493

2018  .4762

2019  .4828

2020  .4540

What the most interesting feature of how they are performing is that the horses get tired near the finish after a hard run.That is what is so noticeable.

Like i said,they are still our no 1 stable,but can Guerin explain why.

Of course i know what his answer will be. He will drag out the same old tall poppy,jealous, haters line that he always takes.He will not address what i refer to.

galah the yaldhurst lollie shop is closed down now im hearing

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Is that for the calendar year or since 1 August?  If the latter a bit pointless doing a comparison as we are only 6 weeks in.

Thats the type of reply i expect from you noodlum. 

Have you not been watching harness racing since it resumed after the lock down,or do you simply not want to address what i am saying.  Go stick your head back in the sand. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, the galah said:

anyone can see that in the last 4 months they are not operating at the "Bulletprooof' level that those on the box seat constantly refer too.

Some are certainly not sticking on as well as they used to. I think i was the same last year or the year before when people thought the dominance was over. The true evidence will come in the bigger money months coming up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, the galah said:

Have you not been watching harness racing since it resumed after the lock down,or do you simply not want to address what i am saying.  Go stick your head back in the sand. 

I'm just saying it's too early to infer any statistical trend.  As for your post it's not clear what you are inferring.  Can you clarify?

Perhaps everyone else has lifted their game.

Edited by Noodlum

45 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Some are certainly not sticking on as well as they used to. I think i was the same last year or the year before when people thought the dominance was over. The true evidence will come in the bigger money months coming up. 

In my opinion the drop off in the ability to seemingly 'run forever' is much more noticeable this year than at any other time.  There is a reason for that.

Your right,maybe come cup time it may change,but even if it does,it doesn't  erase what we are currently seeing. 

1 hour ago, the galah said:

But it's a perfectly reasonable point. Comparing UDRs from 12-month seasons with a 6-week UDR from an upside-down season is comparing apples with oranges. Try again in 6 months and if it's still the same we'll admit you're onto something. But at the moment all you've really got is noise.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Basil said:

But it's a perfectly reasonable point. Comparing UDRs from 12-month seasons with a 6-week UDR from an upside-down season is comparing apples with oranges. Try again in 6 months and if it's still the same we'll admit you're onto something. But at the moment all you've really got is noise.

Ok, If you can't see it,then try opening both eyes. No point in my saying much more.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

Box Seat will be a little different. 

For a start, it's not being run or owned by Trackside or the TAB, or HRNZ - Greg has resurrected it on his on with financial support around the country. 

I'm sure there will be more information released shortly.

Correct you are Matt. its been in the pipelines for quite some time but GOC's influence at the now NZTAB is not what it used to be. Obviously saw an opportunity for himself to make a few $ as heard he  had sponsors lined up a while back and left Met pretty quickly after being appointed there.

Edited by JJ Flash

15 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes, the Cup will be run this year Brodie. The Cup occurs after the election which the Communist Ardern will win. Once back in power, I think you will find there will be a change in tactics on how Covid-19 is handled. But I could be wrong, perhaps Dear Leader will keep us in lockdown for her next term too. If that happens the Cup will probably go ahead but there will be no crowd allowed. That would be a financial disaster for NZMet Club. Winston is likely to be gone so who will be Racing Minister in the new government? Sweep stakes time. 😂

4 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Why?  Come out and say what you think the reason is!

I said your "perhaps everyone else has lifted their game" comment was interesting because it appears to be an acknowledgment of what you had earlier denied.

As to the box seat. I think it is great to see this show return. Like brodie,i would like to see more content involving the grass roots of the industry,balanced with the highlighting of the the contribution the likes of the all stars bring to the industry.

• Like 2