Bit Of A Yarn

Oamaru...Hannon day

Ludwig

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

They are so repetitive,but what else do ya do,they claim turnovers are going ok so I guess they must appeal to the punters.

Methven had the mile racing day as a Friday twilight. Geraldine had a 3 year old trot for good money on what was their lesser 2nd date of racing which attracted a nice field. 

I would like to see grass track qualifying series where you would qualify for a finals days and a slightly increased stake to make it something worth qualifying for. For example, 3 grass track meetings qualifying at Mot, Oamaru and Methven and have the final at one of those places. Ratings issues could be dealt with by a PBD in the final. Anything to give more meaning to some of the racing.

The Coast series used to be interesting when they had the bonus of winning 3 races if my memory serves me correctly.

1 minute ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Methven had the mile racing day as a Friday twilight. Geraldine had a 3 year old trot for good money on what was their lesser 2nd date of racing which attracted a nice field. 

I would like to see grass track qualifying series where you would qualify for a finals days and a slightly increased stake to make it something worth qualifying for. For example, 3 grass track meetings qualifying at Mot, Oamaru and Methven and have the final at one of those places. Ratings issues could be dealt with by a PBD in the final. Anything to give more meaning to some of the racing.

The Coast series used to be interesting when they had the bonus of winning 3 races if my memory serves me correctly.

The stupidest thing  I reckon that's happened is the complete shutdown of grass track racing in the north island,weird.

14 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

It has gallops on it.

Agree Happy, gallops are very boring, although there aRe more enthusiasts than harness for some strange reason?

Form is impossible to follow and that is why the TAB doesnt restrict punters!

Just about impossible to see your horse until they go past you unless you back the grey!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

Agree Happy, gallops are very boring,

That is just our opinion. 

As an aside, I can see why Australian gallops is far more popular than NZ galloping. The presentation of the racing is excellent compared to the NZ racing. The TAB are not very aspirational, instead, they are very willing to let their product be 3rd rate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Agree Happy, gallops are very boring, although there aRe more enthusiasts than harness for some strange reason?

Just about impossible to see your horse until they go past you unless you back the grey!

So you suggest they mainly restrict harness punters?

11 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Short-sighted at the very least.

The North Island is hurtling towards a made for TV product much quicker than the South Island.

It is a mainly tv product now,98% of betting is off course now according to mr Saundry.times have changed,just the same 4 rugby,stadiums only fill up for feature games.

1 minute ago, mikeynz said:

It is a mainly tv product now,98% of betting is off course now according to mr Saundry.times have changed,just the same 4 rugby,stadiums only fill up for feature games.

True but the social scene of big crowds at Cromwell, Oamakau, Mot, Orari etc is vital to the sustainability of the industry in a variety of ways.

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

True but the social scene of big crowds at Cromwell, Oamakau, Mot, Orari etc is vital to the sustainability of the industry in a variety of ways.

And probably will continue to be so Westport on boxing day has a crowd that exceeds the population of the town,its a major coast event,a lot of these meetings are annual  traditions and will stay as.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

So you suggest they mainly restrict harness punters?

I do know for a fact that several years ago, limiting harness punters to pathetic amounts was common!

Were gallop punters being limited?

Had it on very good authority, that they were not restricting them, as they had no need to!

The fact is that what the NZ TAB is doing is losing the harness punters bigtime, and this sadly is going to kill the sport, as it has a huge flow on affect!

42 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

What's actually wrong with galloping track?

I think if you talk to many of the galloping trainers, such as Pam Robson, on the gallops site, they are quite fulsome in their praise of the Oamaru track.it is generally regarded as one of the best winter gallops tracks

the problem is, Oamaru has no trainers based here, there is minimal local interest, and it's largely all organised by Gallops South based in Dunedin.

This contrasts with the harness where there is local interest, it has a local committee, and in the Williamson's, one of the finest training families.

So it's not the track itself that's the issue for gallops 

• Champ Post 1

29 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I have this strange knack of backing the horse where the rider falls off.

• Haha 3

Well if it's a southern meeting there's a fair chance the winner is driven by a Williamson or an Orange

If its addington and Purdons are in it well 9 out of ten they win.

Not so though at the grass track meetings

If you do your homework in harness racing you can narrow the margin of error down quite substantially I believe and the TAB are terrified of being taken to the cleaners in harness in my opinion.

I am no real threat to them and their viability but my betting is illogically restricted at times.

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

If you do your homework in harness racing you can narrow the margin of error down quite substantially I believe and the TAB are terrified of being taken to the cleaners in harness in my opinion.

I am no real threat to them and their viability but my betting is illogically restricted at times.

So what does that mean,are you only restricted for some races,as in  a 6 horse field at addington as opposed to a 16 horse maiden trot at Methven?

Just now, mikeynz said:

So what does that mean,are you only restricted for some races,as in  a 6 horse field at addington as opposed to a 16 horse maiden trot at Methven?

For instance if a purdon horse at 1 60 you cant put say 75000 on but would be able to do so on a ten to 1 shot at orari

I am not exactly sure how the TAB works it. It is especially restrictive when the FF come out and I try to bet on something at odds. I am only talking in the low 2 figures, not even 3 figures.

I seem to have a limit on how much I can win at times too.

It is a mystery but it seems quite common among harness punters.