Bit Of A Yarn

Oamaru...Hannon day

Ludwig

At the risk of upsetting the locals, I've always found Hannon day to be an anti climax. The main race is fine, but the supporting races leave me with questions. Kaikoura manages several fine supporting races, particularly for the trotters.

With the Williamsons in particular, some good trotters come out of Oamaru, but seldom seen here on race day.. Maybe it's time to look at a feature trotters race, or another feature, to complement the Hannon.???

• Like 1

Many All Stars Sidelined with Foot problems-racing team to take a step back

A number of All Stars horses will spend more time resting than racing in the next couple of weeks after a number of cases of foot soreness hit the stable.

“Our vet has recommended rest for a number of them after we took xrays of their feet” Natalie said.

“We haven’t been that happy with some of them for a while. When I worked the race team this morning they were all right but the work was not than that and we have decided to take this action and get it sorted. They were feeling the ground”

It means there will be no runners at Oamaru on Sunday and a limited number racing for perhaps a few weeks as measures are taken to restore the horses to full fitness.

“We have added sand to the main track and taken other measures but the tracks haven’t changed much so they are not the real problem. The xrays have shown us where the problem lies and it involves quite a few horses. It is what it is. We have to take action where we can”

At this stage there is no suggestion that the Cup chances of Spankem, Self Assured and Another Masterpiece are affected by the current situation but it will depend to some degree on what progress they make in the next couple of weeks. Time is on their side at this stage

57 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Stupid comment for a publication. 

At least they're not sitting on the fence. But with a formline like this horses, I wonder why the owner/trainer/driver doesn't hire a capable driver for the race. It certainly couldn't do worse.

4 hours ago, Ludwig said:

At the risk of upsetting the locals, I've always found Hannon day to be an anti climax. The main race is fine, but the supporting races leave me with questions. Kaikoura manages several fine supporting races, particularly for the trotters.

With the Williamsons in particular, some good trotters come out of Oamaru, but seldom seen here on race day.. Maybe it's time to look at a feature trotters race, or another feature, to complement the Hannon.???

100% agree I said a month ago I'd like to see a Williamson dominated trot race for say $15K on this day with Chinese Whisper/Dark Horse/Cracker Hill/Ultimate Stride/Majestic Man add a few Dunn/Hope horses and you'd geet a great field , even do an invitation field or an Oamaru and south field..... all these horses have bigger fish to fry between here and November but surely a mobile sprint race now woudn't upset their preperation.

With the Scratchings now I'm really keen to see Robyns Playboy smash them.

• Like 1

Yip i think they should make the Hannon day like a 'premier' kind of meeting or at least similar to that of Kaikoura Cup Day,which someone else has mentioned,where they have at least 4 or so good open races,so it would be nice too see Oamaru's big day something akin to that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yip i think they should make the Hannon day like a 'premier' kind of meeting or at least similar to that of Kaikoura Cup Day,which someone else has mentioned,where they have at least 4 or so good open races,so it would be nice too see Oamaru's big day something akin to that.

People talk about race dates being important but just as important is creating days beyond Cup Week that have a feel of a big day.

At the moment, it is just groundhog day.

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Many All Stars Sidelined with Foot problems-racing team to take a step back

A number of All Stars horses will spend more time resting than racing in the next couple of weeks after a number of cases of foot soreness hit the stable.

“Our vet has recommended rest for a number of them after we took xrays of their feet” Natalie said.

“We haven’t been that happy with some of them for a while. When I worked the race team this morning they were all right but the work was not than that and we have decided to take this action and get it sorted. They were feeling the ground”

It means there will be no runners at Oamaru on Sunday and a limited number racing for perhaps a few weeks as measures are taken to restore the horses to full fitness.

“We have added sand to the main track and taken other measures but the tracks haven’t changed much so they are not the real problem. The xrays have shown us where the problem lies and it involves quite a few horses. It is what it is. We have to take action where we can”

At this stage there is no suggestion that the Cup chances of Spankem, Self Assured and Another Masterpiece are affected by the current situation but it will depend to some degree on what progress they make in the next couple of weeks. Time is on their side at this stage

So the" number of cases of sore feet to hit the stable" only seem to effect the horses running on sunday,but not the 5 they have in tonight or the 7 they have in at auckland tomorrow,none of whom have been scratched?

Thats a mysterious coincidence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I understand that there are some plans to upgrade grandstands and stabling areas at Oamaru, so it would be good to have  some quality feature races to match. Just  a  pity upgrading the weather isn't so easy.

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

I understand that there are some plans to upgrade grandstands and stabling areas at Oamaru, so it would be good to have  some quality feature races to match. Just  a  pity upgrading the weather isn't so easy.

So they must think they are staying open(Oamaru course)

6 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Some of the supporting races on Sunday have terribly weak fields. 

You need at least 3 worthy races to make a race day a special one. Unfortunately, race programmes are just the same old same old.

They are so repetitive,but what else do ya do,they claim turnovers are going ok so I guess they must appeal to the punters.

If ones self dont want to watch or bet on them as long as enough  do then sobeit.

1 minute ago, Happy Sunrise said:

No.

And jumps racing should be banned.

I dont mind the gallops,I actually think the South Island racing recently has been rather interesting,getting back to the Oamaru track,it and Washdyke  were suggested for closure yet they want an all weather track at Riccarton yet these two tracks just by location make good winter venues.