Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Met Friday

Dougie

1 hour ago, Davis said:

There needs to be quite a few changes Brodie. Lamb is one that needs to change or be sacked. He is one of the reasons I do not bet on harness as much these days. You never know what is going to happen at the start when he is starter. He's a shocker.

He has even stuffed up NZ harness racing greatest race the NZ Cup more than once. I know the drunks at the Met on Cup day couldn't care about the start; they wouldn't even know who the starter was or what he does. But true harness fans like me, and you Brodie, have had enough.

Addington is the Southern Hemisphere's premier harness racing track yet we have an absolute idiot starting races there. The excellent track is maintained by professionals who do their jobs. We have some of the best trainers and drivers, Purdon/Rasmussen, Dunn, Dalgety/Purdon, Ken Barron, Paul Nairn and the O'Reilly family to name a few. Blair Orange, Ricky May, the Tomlinson sisters etc, all of these people do their jobs and do them well. Lamb does not and yet he is a stipe and continues to stuff up at least one start at every meeting he officiates at.

When will something be done...?

agree with you Davis got to get rid of the ex cops that know nothing about harness racing as they are making racing so GRIM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

You prove otherwise.  You are the one contending that it was wrong.

lol. I can't think of a time of what you are asserting so you tell me.

I gave you proof that once a race starts anything that happens is deemed a racing incident so there are no late scratchings.  The stipes said it is so. Navara clearly started the race and and ran towards Prince Teka. The driver gave himself up and knew his race was over so took hold of Prince Teka and he gets a late sratching out of it somehow.

What about Sundon's Flyer? You are not answering that question.

5 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What are you watching?

The starter had wasn't even on the scene before Navara's driver took hold of Prince Teka. 

OK I'll give you that one.  But in my opinion at least Navara's start was impeded.  Arguably Prince Teka as well whose driver was dislodged by another horse.

OK just found the Oamaru video.  Yes there should have been a Recall for that race.  Lachie called it.   The fact that the starter didn't call one then there should have been late scratchings because there were horses impeded from a fair start.  Last nights determination was correct.  Oamaru's wasn't.  Who was the starter for that race?

I believe last nights decision was fair and correct.  

2 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

OK just found the Oamaru video.  Yes there should have been a Recall for that race.  Lachie called it.   The fact that the starter didn't call one then there should have been late scratchings because there were horses impeded from a fair start.  Last nights determination was correct.  Oamaru's wasn't.  Who was the starter for that race?

I believe last nights decision was fair and correct.  

No mate, this is the thing, the race had started and there was no interference so it is game on. No late scratchings, no recalls, no nothing. It is just plain bad racing luck.

The starter at Oamaru and last night was correct because of the simple fact the race had started.

We can have our opinion, whether it is right or wrong does not affect what happened last night!
Reality is that there are continually poor and inconsistent decisions being made by paid employees who are meant to be working in the best interests of harness racing!

The standing starts are often a farce and many by the same starter!

Have nothing personal against the Starter, however he is performing not up to scratch and he should be able to see this and stand down!

There are many times that horses get knocked over in standing starts and yet these horses d not become late scratchings, so I can not see why the two were last night?

No confidence whatsoever in the RIU and things need to change quickly!

• Champ Post 3

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

We can have our opinion, whether it is right or wrong does not affect what happened last night!
Reality is that there are continually poor and inconsistent decisions being made by paid employees who are meant to be working in the best interests of harness racing!

Have nothing personal against the Starter, however he is performing not up to scratch and he should be able to see this and stand down!

There are many times that horses get knocked over in standing starts and yet these horses d not become late scratchings, so I can not see why the two were last night?

a new broom sweeps clean 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

You are dead right and on the money Brodie. Lamb is probably a decent guy but he does a poor job as as starter. Standing starts are a lottery; some are walk up starts, others some horses are moving while others standing still and they are off, often horses are facing the wrong way, starters' assistants in the way... the list is endless. Mobiles are not his speciality either. False starts are common. Yet, he is never criticised, never asked to explain by the RUI. 

Some say he cannot be expected to see every horse is straight and standing still when the tapes fly. I say bullshit to that. I have been attending Addington for over 40 years. The late Jack Mulcay and the other starters before him were far, far superior to Lamb. Furthermore, there were bigger fields back in those days and horses starting off 10, 20, 30, 40 but the starters got the fields away evenly. Lamb cannot do that.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Dead right mate. Here is my observations from last night. 

I was shocked and horrified! 

The $5 chicken burgers from the Stables BBQ area are no longer. They are gone burger. 

Now we have fancy schmancy burgers damn near twice the price. 

I was outraged. Told them to stick it, and went away in a huff. 

If it wasn't for Muscle Mountain winning his race, I would have gone hungry until I got home. 

With the winnings I splashed out on the bacon and egg burger. It was pretty good to be fair. 

So let that be a lesson to everyone.

Don't get upset over the small stuff, about scratchings and starters etc. Those things will never change, and us punters in the grandstand can't change anything about it. 

Instead listen to your gut. It will tell you when it's hungry and it will tell you what horse to bet on. 

• Haha 2

Did not bother having a go last night, but did watch Them all!

Do not like even fields especially when the Blue and Silver have horses racing, and just not worth the effort!

Give me a loose class meeting any day to invest, over Cup Day !

Love the harness industry but have lost some interest since the NZ TAB showed me that they only care about punters that are going to lose!!

Just can not be bothered going oncourse now when I can not get a decent wager on, and they class me as a potential money launderer!

Things need to be changed and quickly or harness js going to suffer big time.

You only need to look at the stands on race night, the only ones there are the pissed  ones that have been for the meal from business’s!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

Did not bother having a go last night, but did watch Them all!

Do not like even fields especially when the Blue and Silver have horses racing, and just not worth the effort!

Give me a loose class meeting any day to invest, over Cup Day !

Love the harness industry but have lost some interest since the NZ TAB showed me that they only care about punters that are going to lose!!

Just can not be bothered going oncourse now when I can not get a decent wager on, and they class me as a potential money launderer!

Things need to be changed and quickly or harness js going to suffer big time.

You only need to look at the stands on race night, the only ones there are the pissed  ones that have been for the meal from business’s!

Brodie, do you think the re-election of St Jacinda will have a positive or negative impact on the racing industry?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Brodie, do you think the re-election of St Jacinda will have a positive or negative impact on the racing industry?

Potentially negative.  I don't believe the full economic impact of the draconian approach to Covid-19 pandemic management has been felt yet.  The cash that has been thrown around to supposedly create jobs has ended up in non-productive or sustaining areas.  For example there is only so many times you can paint a Marae and even then what does it add to the economy?

You could compare the painting of a Marae with the building of All Weather Tracks for Gallops.  The AWT's seem to have no associated business plan nor any indication of how the extra revenue to maintain them will be obtained.

So when the financial bite hits do you think TAB NZ will be bailed out again to the tune of $70m?  That is not in Princess Snowflakes song book.

With all the printed money floating around (Quantitative Easing - ironic that Social Credit polled so badly when this was their idea!) it will only take an 70's like energy shock to plunge this country into dire straights.  We got ourselves out of that exposure by investing in oil and gas exploration and building our own refinery.  Labour has killed both.  So energy costs go through the roof - inflation takes off - interest rates rise and no one will want to lend to us.  Venezuela here we come.

Would we have been better to invest $1b in oil and gas exploration and the refinery than give it to the Iwi, Racing and Green Schools?  Did you know that Labour has invested in turning productive farmland into Manuka scrub?  What happens when the Manuka Honey bubble bursts?  Which it will because it is built purely on marketing hype.

The Reserve Bank has shot its load prematurely and they have stuff all tools left.  They can't print much more money and they can't do it during inflationary times.  Otherwise you will be borrowing the pram to take loads of cash down to the bakery to get a loaf of bread.

If we don't turn these current policies around at the next election or sooner then look forward to one hell of a depression.

This is all frustratingly deja vu for me.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Potentially negative.  I don't believe the full economic impact of the draconian approach to Covid-19 pandemic management has been felt yet.  The cash that has been thrown around to supposedly create jobs has ended up in non-productive or sustaining areas.  For example there is only so many times you can paint a Marae and even then what does it add to the economy?

I agree Chief. The marae painting handout was a last hurrah by the loudmouth buffoon Shane Jones to try and buy a seat. Thankfully, it didn't work. The only thing worth celebrating in this election results is that NZ First are gone. There should be an inquiry into the money that Jones handed out from his three billion dollar pork barrel. Few, if any, of the recipients of this fund will create jobs or succeed. 

I know this government will achieve little in the next term, it will echo their first term... all talk and no action. I expect one of the first things they will do is increase benefits. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Davis said:

Few, if any, of the recipients of this fund will create jobs or succeed.

That is the same for the majority of the PGF projects.  It is hard to get information on them individually because they are supposedly "commercially sensitive" e.g.  the AWT's!

I could give you a list of strange ones.  The Marae paint job $100m will supposedly create 3,000 jobs!  Well that's 33,000 for each job.  Some Marae's only get 12,000 for each job.  That doesn't include paint and materials!!  You and I know where that money is heading.

The amount dished out by Jones to Northland is disgraceful.  Take another project that I did some digging on.  My first degree was in Horticulture so this particularly project piqued my interest.  I think it was about $15m for an "Organic Hothouse Hydroponic Tomato" growing enterprise at Marsden Point.  Now the company that got this money has only one director who lives in the Waikato.  I know for a fact that Tomato growers struggle as it is as and the returns are not huge - I worked in the industry for 5 years.  For the life of me I can't work out how you can grow hydroponically using only organic material!  Secondly hot house's are a nightmare for diseases and pests - good luck with economically producing product to cover your costs!

Geez I wish I was in Parliament I would be shoving tomatoes right up the complicit Labour Party's arse!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

That is the same for the majority of the PGF projects.  It is hard to get information on them individually because they are supposedly "commercially sensitive" e.g.  the AWT's!

I could give you a list of strange ones.  The Marae paint job $100m will supposedly create 3,000 jobs!  Well that's 33,000 for each job.  Some Marae's only get 12,000 for each job.  That doesn't include paint and materials!!  You and I know where that money is heading.

The amount dished out by Jones to Northland is disgraceful.  Take another project that I did some digging on.  My first degree was in Horticulture so this particularly project piqued my interest.  I think it was about $15m for an "Organic Hothouse Hydroponic Tomato" growing enterprise at Marsden Point.  Now the company that got this money has only one director who lives in the Waikato.  I know for a fact that Tomato growers struggle as it is as and the returns are not huge - I worked in the industry for 5 years.  For the life of me I can't work out how you can grow hydroponically using only organic material!  Secondly hot house's are a nightmare for diseases and pests - good luck with economically producing product to cover your costs!

Geez I wish I was in Parliament I would be shoving tomatoes right up the complicit Labour Party's arse!

Corruption is the only word for it. Disgraceful.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

A odd shape Cucumber would be better than tomatoes,the finance minister would be lining up for one lol

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Davis said:

I would not think She will be bailing out the NZ TAB again.

What I would be suggesting is that the TAB sorts it shit out, and encourage punting on harness or harness will sadly suffer.

No Labour will not be good for racing, people who think she has this halo over her head will wish they didnt put a tick for red!

If it had not been for Covid19 She was gone!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

I would not think She will be bailing out the NZ TAB again.

What I would be suggesting is that the TAB sorts it shit out, and encourage punting on harness or harness will sadly suffer.

No Labour will not be good for racing, people who think she has this halo over her head will wish they didnt put a tick for red!

If it had not been for Covid19 She was gone!

Brodie the difference between my comments and yours is that yours ain't funny but absolutely correct,they won't help racing and as a country we get what we deserve as a rule.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Davis said:

There needs to be quite a few changes Brodie. Lamb is one that needs to change or be sacked. He is one of the reasons I do not bet on harness as much these days. You never know what is going to happen at the start when he is starter. He's a shocker.

He has even stuffed up NZ harness racing greatest race the NZ Cup more than once. I know the drunks at the Met on Cup day couldn't care about the start; they wouldn't even know who the starter was or what he does. But true harness fans like me, and you Brodie, have had enough.

Addington is the Southern Hemisphere's premier harness racing track yet we have an absolute idiot starting races there. The excellent track is maintained by professionals who do their jobs. We have some of the best trainers and drivers, Purdon/Rasmussen, Dunn, Dalgety/Purdon, Ken Barron, Paul Nairn and the O'Reilly family to name a few. Blair Orange, Ricky May, the Tomlinson sisters etc, all of these people do their jobs and do them well. Lamb does not and yet he is a stipe and continues to stuff up at least one start at every meeting he officiates at.

When will something be done...?

Good last question, Dougie.