Bit Of A Yarn

Davis

7 minutes ago, Davis said:

Number of reasons. Costs, falling public interest, animal rights. I think the last one will hit hardest. I think it won't be long before racing animals will be frowned upon and banned. Rodeos first, greyhounds will be next (justifiably in my opinion)... horses next??

Well here is an argument for the "Animal Rights" activists.  Research done at an Australian University has calculated that 25% of the carbon emissions from animal agriculture are created by domestic cats and dogs.  The largest part being the growing and processing of animals to feed those cats and dogs.  Now given that it is unlikely that your average dog or cat will go vegetarian will, in the interests of limiting climate change, they be banned?  The average Labrador generates 1.6 metric tons of carbon annually.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

I think you over estimate the power of animal activists.When I was a kid we used to follow the rodeo circuit as my uncle used to ride in the 70s when it was first starting out.Even back then there were probably more activists against rodeo than there is now .The key to surviving is to make subtle changes

I think you over estimate the "power" of these activists.  However making subtle changes is the thin end of wedge and leads to a slippery slope.  The biggest threat to racing is economics i.e. not generating enough revenue and managing costs.  

It doesn't help either that one code is sucking the life out of the whole industry.  How does Harness or Greyhounds benefit from the $48m being invested in three All Weather Tracks for Thoroughbreds?  What is the chance of being able to rent stables at Riccarton and train your horses on the new Polytrack?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

• 1 month later...

Mitchell Kerr found guilty at JCA hearing

25 March 2021 , News

Former Canterbury horse trainer Mitchell Kerr has been found guilty of four charges at a Judicial Control Authority hearing in Christchurch.

Kerr was not at the hearing which was held at Addington Raceway

Kerr handed in his trainer’s license last year, citing mental health issues. He was subsequently charged by the authorities after an investigation.

The hearing heard how Kerr had a gambling habit that involved him losing around a million dollars with an Australian betting agency.

The tribunal concluded that Kerr was involved in a series of fraudulent activities including selling a horse that didn’t exist, charging for insurance policies that were never taken out, and that he oversold shares in horses that he had no right to sell.

He was also accused of forging signatures and disguising his fraud with multiple acts of dishonesty.

While Kerr was found guilty on four charges no decision has been made on his penalty, with counsel seeking a substantial disqualification, if not a life ban.

A decision on his penalty is expected within a week.

1 hour ago, Robalan said:

Chief,

The news release by HRNZ was made as a result of Gary Woodham attending the hearing. Kerr was found guilty of all charges at the hearing and this will be publicly announced next week together with his penalty

Will be interesting to read the legal stuff considering Kerr had handed in this licenses and did not appear in person or through a lawyer to defend himself.

Also will be interesting to see if fraud charges are laid through the criminal courts or a civil case is taken. He would be eligible for legal aid in that case I imagine.  Then there would be the scenario of where the industry judiciary have decided guilt while criminal charges may or are pending.

Can someone explain to me if the paper work was done for the ownership of the oversold horses and filed with HRNZ how were the horses "oversold"?  

1 hour ago, Robalan said:

Chief,

The news release by HRNZ was made as a result of Gary Woodham attending the hearing. Kerr was found guilty of all charges at the hearing and this will be publicly announced next week together with his penalty

what is the likelihood of kerr turning up at his penalty hearing or is that not even possible

7 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

what is the likelihood of kerr turning up at his penalty hearing or is that not even possible

For what reasons would it not be possible?  

As for the likelihood of him turning up I don't know of any rule that says you have to.  It isn't as if the JCA can arrest him!

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

For what reasons would it not be possible?  

As for the likelihood of him turning up I don't know of any rule that says you have to.  It isn't as if the JCA can arrest him!

I don't know the process.

I just thought turning up would give him a better chance to returning to the industry at some stage in the future as he is a decent horseman.

Maybe he is just over the industry.

3 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

I don't know the process.

I just thought turning up would give him a better chance to returning to the industry at some stage in the future as he is a decent horseman.

Maybe he is just over the industry.

Good points however from a compassionate perspective he has an addiction.  I'm certainly not in the group baying for blood but it would be difficult to work in an industry that is the source of his problem.  Would be a bit like an alcoholic working in a brewery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Have a go said:

Life ban incoming and the poor boy empty as a pocket with nothing to lose is on suicide watch.i hope he gets the RIGHT support.

That is not good, but many bring up the suicide watch thing over the years, maybe looking for a less penalty. 

5 hours ago, Newmarket said:

That is not good, but many bring up the suicide watch thing over the years, maybe looking for a less penalty. 

Dont think he would be expecting anything other than a life ban from racing.

Personally although he has done a lot wrong, hopefully things improve for Mitchell, and he gets thru ok.

What I would like to know is how come the betting agency whatever it was in Oz, allowed him to lose such big amounts?

The NZ TAB advertises that it cares about  losing punters in NZ!

They also care about winning punters as well, so much so they stop them from punting so they are a really caring bunch aren’t they?

• Sad 1