Bit Of A Yarn

Davis

This thread is a microcosm of the situation harness currently finds itself in. In response to any suggestion of dodgy dealings by an industry participant (unless of course it's the All Stars), the vast majority adopt a head-in-the-sand, victim-blaming, shoot-the-messenger position, while Happy and one or two others who point out that harness has only itself to blame for all the negative publicity are like voices crying in the wilderness.

Let's be brutally honest here and accept the cold, hard truth: after a century of harness treating the public with contempt, the chickens are now coming home to roost. Times have changed, and harness hasn't been able to change with them.  I retain the hope that it'll yet do so, but the prospects aren't looking good.

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

14 minutes ago, Basil said:

This thread is a microcosm of the situation harness currently finds itself in. In response to any suggestion of dodgy dealings by an industry participant (unless of course it's the All Stars), the vast majority adopt a head-in-the-sand, victim-blaming, shoot-the-messenger position, while Happy and one or two others who point out that harness has only itself to blame for all the negative publicity are like voices crying in the wilderness.

Let's be brutally honest here and accept the cold, hard truth: after a century of harness treating the public with contempt, the chickens are now coming home to roost. Times have changed, and harness hasn't been able to change with them.  I retain the hope that it'll yet do so, but the prospects aren't looking good.

as long as they not picking on your stable aye BASIL BASHER RABBIT

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 1

1 hour ago, Basil said:

The word 'leadership' is one of the most overused words in currency today but in the case of harness racing in NZ it should be used a lot more often.

Who is in charge? No idea.

I think the industry is one of the most poorly functioning and divisive outfits I have ever seen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The word 'leadership' is one of the most overused words in currency today but in the case of harness racing in NZ it should be used a lot more often.

Who is in charge? No idea.

I think the industry is one of the most poorly functioning and divisive outfits I have ever seen. 

The problem i believe happy is a small vocal percentage are resistant to the views of the vast majority when it comes to the matter of enforcing integrity issues. 

There is no way any of us would be involved as owners/trainers/drivers/punters/administrators if we believed harness racing had a high level of dishonesty. It doesn't. 

You can however understand why the small vocal minority attack those that openly encourage the enforcement of higher standards.  As Basil has said, the public is more aware of,and has greater access to avenues of scrutinizing facets of the industry that in the past had little light shed on them. 

Some licenceholders have taken the greater scrutiny and tried to portray it as personal attacks, whereas in reality it is  an attack on a small part of the actions which some have for generations been deemed acceptable.  Its obvious that strategy isn't working for them,just look at the fallout. Its those that they support who have paid a greater price for the resistance. You would hope one day they may wake up and see that. Integrity issues should be a common goal.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

31 minutes ago, the galah said:

The problem i believe happy is a small vocal percentage are resistant to the views of the vast majority when it comes to the matter of enforcing integrity issues. 

There is no way any of us would be involved as owners/trainers/drivers/punters/administrators if we believed harness racing had a high level of dishonesty. It doesn't. 

You can however understand why the small vocal minority attack those that openly encourage the enforcement of higher standards.  As Basil has said, the public is more aware of,and has greater access to avenues of scrutinizing facets of the industry that in the past had little light shed on them. 

Some licenceholders have taken the greater scrutiny and tried to portray it as personal attacks, whereas in reality it is  an attack on a small part of the actions which some have for generations been deemed acceptable.  Its obvious that strategy isn't working for them,just look at the fallout. Its those that they support who have paid a greater price for the resistance. You would hope one day they may wake up and see that. Integrity issues should be a common goal.

All well and good to take the moral high ground and preach from it.  But how can you expect the so called "vocal minority" have any respect when you see the complete lack of integrity in the INCA investigation, week in week out inconsistent stipe rulings and a race starter continuing to blow every bloody start he has a hand in!

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 2

16 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

All well and good to take the moral high ground and preach from it.  But how can you expect the so called "vocal minority" have any respect when you see the complete lack of integrity in the INCA investigation, week in week out inconsistent stipe rulings and a race starter continuing to blow every bloody start he has a hand in!

champion post 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Well i just think the  merit in your comments on those subjects gets watered down because it's viewed as a relentless attack on the same people.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Fair points

The whole industry needs a clean up, not just the RIU.

See Basil's post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to gamble thousands and prove I'm no gambler just a jail bird loser.ill sell shares in a few Pacers to you all I'll even sell the shares twice over to cover my gambling.no wonder they lost alot of horses and owners turned up with trailers and hauled off most off the horses.mitchell is in big trouble for fraud.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/5/2020 at 3:35 AM, Forbury said:

So why hasn't anyone said what all this is about with m.kerr.

Because people like myself who have heard the exact same story you have said above, have chosen to wait for facts to come out, not wanting to potentially spread mis-information.  

For me at this stage, it is just a story (maybe fiction and maybe non-fiction) and until full facts come out, I'll keep it as that.

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Robalan said:

There's no doubt about it. Kerr's facing 5 charges from the RIU and when he is found guilty of those charges the police will take over

A real black eye for the entire industry will result. Alas, Problem gambling spirals people's lives 'out of control.'

People should just sign up with BOYS GET PAID to keep it all under control ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

A real black eye for the entire industry will result. Alas, Problem gambling spirals people's lives 'out of control.'

People should just sign up with BOYS GET PAID to keep it all under control ?

Sure is.

only problem is this won't be the only black eye for the industry in the next few months.

• Like 2