Bit Of A Yarn

Greymouth trotting club

Ludwig

14 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Robalan

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Arapaho broke

Arapaho good (but left you broke it seems?) , so Rangatira has you Well Beaten Chief !!!!  The NZ FFA on 3 occasions for Robalan, and not just beating Arapaho but defeating the mighty 'Young Quinn' as well. A true Super-Star !!! 

here's the photo of NZ FFA 1973 , (Arapaho a 'good' 2nd for you !) but not in picture.

HEY !!! someone beat ROBALAN at Greymouth too !! Forest King ???? bet that was an upset ? lol......

DSC02413.JPG

DSC02414.JPG

On 23/09/2021 at 10:42 AM, Chief Stipe said:

The Ferris Wheel in the bottom left of the picture brings back memories as well.  What was the name of the travelling amusements family that did all the Coast Circuit and Nelson/Marlborough?  Candy Floss and Hot Dogs.....

May have been sturgeon amusements, if so still going today, the catch cry of that gruff gravel  voice, hotdogs hotdogs, or even hi ho my name is Joe, get your lucky number, usually ended with bad luck Chief here's a mackintosh, those were the days.

• Like 1

Since I have been named in this thread I will jam my oar in.

Firstly Victoria Park is now a waste land and I stopped a few weeks back and took some photos(below).   In the right hand picture the smaller tree to the right was the one behind the grandstand in a photo pasted earlier.   It was sheer bloody mindedness from the Mawhera Incorporation not to decrease the rent and they claimed to have big plans for the site but, like a lot of the property they have had given back to them, they are always 'gunna'  do something but never ever do.  They really are holding the town back.  As far as relocating to Omoto went we suggested it but the lack of enthusiasm from the GTC committee and potential flooding made it all too hard.  For a brief time a few years back I sort of explored the possibility of re-forming the GTC but I am not a harness man(though I did love Addington when I was a Varsity student in the early 80's) and I needed more help from those with more knowledge and enthusiasm and it was not forthcoming.  I imagine now HRNZ would simply say no anyway given dwindling field sizes.  

Mikie you mystified me a little with the claim of being the Secretary of all those clubs when those clubs reinstated the harness events as at the time was the Greymouth JC Secretary  but then I twigged who you are.  Good to hear from you again, thanks for the help you gave the Coast Clubs for many years and I hope you are keeping well?

Equally thought CS I remember when I was a kid in the very early 70's the galloping clubs running trots(even Kumara did it - God those old trotters must have been tough bastards dragging carts though that swamp!(a it was at the time)).  I also remember days with three division maiden gallops at Reefton as well.  And vaguely(could be wrong) the McLaughlin(?) horses Royal Ascot, Manaroa, and Manawauru being bracket mates at Victoria Park.

And another name to add to the good ones that raced at Victoria Park - of course Our Mana won the West Coast Bonus there and went on to win an NZ Cup?  Its a bit like Dalray running at Omoto though - those days are long long gone

image.jpeg.c5a898374586b8c8cdb2780d5c0c3bc5.jpegimage.jpeg.406272da44bdc837a533e97e69b5f188.jpegimage.jpeg.fc888f85a047de51c77b843814cb096b.jpeg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Firstly Victoria Park is now a waste land and I stopped a few weeks back and took some photos(below).   In the right hand picture the smaller tree to the right was the one behind the grandstand in a photo pasted earlier.   It was sheer bloody mindedness from the Mawhera Incorporation not to decrease the rent and they claimed to have big plans for the site but, like a lot of the property they have had given back to them, they are always 'gunna'  do something but never ever do.  They really are holding the town back.  As far as relocating to Omoto went we suggested it but the lack of enthusiasm from the GTC committee and potential flooding made it all too hard.  For a brief time a few years back I sort of explored the possibility of re-forming the GTC but I am not a harness man(though I did love Addington when I was a Varsity student in the early 80's) and I needed more help from those with more knowledge and enthusiasm and it was not forthcoming.  I imagine now HRNZ would simply say no anyway given dwindling field sizes.  

Mikie you mystified me a little with the claim of being the Secretary of all those clubs when those clubs reinstated the harness events as at the time was the Greymouth JC Secretary  but then I twigged who you are.  Good to hear from you again, thanks for the help you gave the Coast Clubs for many years and I hope you are keeping well?

Equally thought CS I remember when I was a kid in the very early 70's the galloping clubs running trots(even Kumara did it - God those old trotters must have been tough bastards dragging carts though that swamp!(a it was at the time)).  I also remember days with three division maiden gallops at Reefton as well.  And vaguely(could be wrong) the McLaughlin(?) horses Royal Ascot, Manaroa, and Manawauru being bracket mates at Victoria Park.

And another name to add to the good ones that raced at Victoria Park - of course Our Mana won the West Coast Bonus there and went on to win an NZ Cup?  Its a bit like Dalray running at Omoto though - those days are long long gone

image.jpeg.c5a898374586b8c8cdb2780d5c0c3bc5.jpegimage.jpeg.406272da44bdc837a533e97e69b5f188.jpegimage.jpeg.fc888f85a047de51c77b843814cb096b.jpeg

Those pictures are sad.  Can remember many a night watching races at Victoria Park.  LOL even played my one and only competition game of soccer in the middle of the track.  We managed to get the whole team into the Stopforth's station wagon and drive up from Hokitika.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Reefton said:

Thanks for the kind wishes Reefton and the comment about helping the Coast Clubs. Have had a lot of fairweather friends so any appreciation is very gratefully received. 

I'm keeping ok, like most solo parents I harbour thoughts of burying the child of the fairer sex in the garden but with my track record they would throw the book at me

Enjoying reading your missives mainly on the TB site about the state of tracks but I don't have the knowledge to contribute

Am working where I have regular contact with MP and he's always good to deal with

The Coast trip was a great 2 weeks. Lots of stories including being fitted uo by JJO'Donnell a few times

A favourite memory was a leading Jockey coming into my Office at Hokitika and saying Mr O'B, can I ask you a question?  To which I said of course, but call me Mike. He replied ok, then said  Mr O'B, this track has the shortest straight on the Coast doesn't it?  I said no, it has the longest straight I think. Jockey replied it doesn't look that long. I said you race right handed here, so you're looking at the wrong end of the straight. Jockey said, oh that'll explain it then

You are right about many good horsers starting off at the Coast. I am pretty sure Armalight won at Westport before heading North for 3yo Classics and then going on to win a Cup

For pure entertainment nothing could touch Steven John with John Rogers driving winning at Greymouth to complete the West Coast Bonus. Wasn't a horse that you could drive pretty around Victoria park, but he kept on coming

Edited by Mikie
  • Like 7

On 23/09/2021 at 4:44 PM, Chief Stipe said:

FFS Hokitika has a population of 3,000.  It has been around that for 50 years that I know of.  They talk about 6 degrees of separation - well in Hokitika not only did everyone know everyone (1 degree) most of us were related!!!!

Yet you tell me that Dad and his mates who were the leading businessmen in the town had no input or influence on the Westland Racing Club Committee?  Hell they even got them to agree to putting in training track for Harness inside the grass track!  The local parish priest and stalwart of West Coast Harness Racing Father Bill Middleton used to train his horses on it!

They may have done things differently in Blenheim but not in Hokitika.

very good trainer mikie top bloke

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:31 AM, Shad said:

May have been sturgeon amusements, if so still going today, the catch cry of that gruff gravel  voice, hotdogs hotdogs, or even hi ho my name is Joe, get your lucky number, usually ended with bad luck Chief here's a mackintosh, those were the days.

Related to John sturgeon all blacks manager, worked at coal Corp greymouth?

1 hour ago, Mikie said:

Again, thanks GOP, appreciated

Miichael, Mikie or whoever, you may well have done some very good things for racing in the North of the South Island.

Yes he received bad publicity for his offending and would have affected him.

Great that he is wanting to post on BOAY and The Chief makes this indeed possible!

However, he has a big chip on his shoulder that he needs to remove and not act as a bullying plonker!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1