Bit Of A Yarn

The Race

Forbury

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Wish the club had thought about involving the average battler.

People involved in 'Buying and/or Owning' a slot can race a great horse once a year in partnership with it's real owners. a very good concept to get some new people involved in the industry (or just have a fun day out each Easter)

For the Battler the club should of had a promotions person draw 'Ambassadors' for each runner from the general public , like a lottery , and have prizes scaling down from 1st to last provided by sponsors. EVERYONE could get involved then . and 10 or 9 is it this year lucky people could also be involved in a runner for THE RACE.  (someone at BOAY could of had a runner would be cool lol..)

That of course is how the Kosciuszko works. As they have now copied the Everest concept, I'm sure someone will think of copying the Kosciuszko next.

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

No, apparently the slot holder and the connections of the horse that they originally had/were allocated, however it works, split the $37,500 between them. So the slot holder gets about $18,000 for their $75,000 investment. Great business model.

That only happens if that's in the agreement between slot and owners , most contracts will say 5th or worse the slot holders get the 37.500

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Unhinged said:

That only happens if that's in the agreement between slot and owners , most contracts will say 5th or worse the slot holders get the 37.500

Seems a bit unfair to my mind!

Great to see things being tried to improve harness racing but jury out on whether it does anything apart from shuffling some money around the corporates or wealthy owners!

Good publicity for this GRINS outfit as well I suppose!

Will it introduce anyone new  enthusiasts to racing in NZ?

Probably not but it is something different and something to watch on Easter Eve!

Wondering why Ozzie have plenty of meetings on Easter Good Friday and we have NO MEETINGS!

We must be a lot more Religious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Seems a bit unfair to my mind!

Great to see things being tried to improve harness racing but jury out on whether it does anything apart from shuffling some money around the corporates or wealthy owners!

Good publicity for this GRINS outfit as well I suppose!

Will it introduce anyone new  enthusiasts to racing in NZ?

Probably not but it is something different and something to watch on Easter Eve!

Wondering why Ozzie have plenty of meetings on Easter Good Friday and we have NO MEETINGS!

We must be a lot more Religious!

I think it is worth a go. Hopefully, there'll be more publicity next year. Covid made it hard to promote the event this year.

Being a one-eyed Cantabrian and Crusader fan i wouldn't drink Chiefs beverage GRINS on principle. Although Leinert-Brown is a Cantabrian and grinning McKenzie a Southlander. I won't bet but will watch. My picks: Spankem, Stylish Memphis, Self Assured...

• Like 1

The filthy band of criminal race fixing drivers fix race again finish 1st 3rd 4th  led by the biggest low life criminal Natalie team driving as always what a joke.its a bigger joke than Zac butcher not even trying a yard tonight on fav in first leg pick 6 and as the norm brother wins.nz trots is full of this criminal driving and it's a disgrace I won't have any part of anymore.its a sinking ship with the criminals always taking a major slice of it all.the rating system and team driving has destroyed the sport forever and since we have had new CEO after ceo it's just got worse with each one and the stewards are a bunch of kurupt spastics that is it for me forever.my last post and like forbury the best track in South island for betting I'm gone forever.france is such a better product and I will concentrate on that and never ever bother with the sinking ship again.rip NZ trots

Edited by Forbury
Whatever
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

“The Race by Grins” all over for year!

one more year and we get the second edition!

Just watched it and the Trackside employees very enthusiastic for “The Race by Grins”!

Won by the $2 favourite, some people are easily excited lol.

Good on everyone that enjoyed it. 
Not a very big crowd oncourse although the supporting races were very poor betting races!

Worth a go for harness racing if it engenders interest, but by the amount of tote betting there was very little interest for the average tote punter in NZ with only $30k combined in the win and place pools.

Probably Be a lot of fixed betting but most serious punters wouldnt have bothered!!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forbury said:

The filthy band of criminal race fixing drivers fix race again finish 1st 3rd 4th  led by the biggest low life criminal Natalie team driving as always what a joke.its a bigger joke than Zac butcher not even trying a yard tonight on fav in first leg pick 6 and as the norm brother wins.nz trots is full of this criminal driving and it's a disgrace I won't have any part of anymore.its a sinking ship with the criminals always taking a major slice of it all.the rating system and team driving has destroyed the sport forever and since we have had new CEO after ceo it's just got worse with each one and the stewards are a bunch of kurupt spastics that is it for me forever.my last post and like forbury the best track in South island for betting I'm gone forever.france is such a better product and I will concentrate on that and never ever bother with the sinking ship again.rip NZ trots

To be fair Forbury it was always going to be the way, with the horses and drivers involved!

Keep posting as most people enjoy your “no punches pulled” comments.

Yeah, personally think “the race by Grins” hype was totally  over the top for what it was, but the Trackside presenters are paid to get everyone excited!

Did it work, probably not!

Give us a non winners race any day!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

To be fair Forbury it was always going to be the way, with the horses and drivers involved!

Keep posting as most people enjoy your “no punches pulled” comments.

Yeah, personally think “the race by Grins” hype was totally  over the top for what it was, but the Trackside presenters are paid to get everyone excited!

Did it work, probably not!

Give us a non winners race any day!

Much more enjoyable was the racing out of Wyndham today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unhinged said:

The article I read somewhere, probably on the hrnz website said the $37,500 would be split between the slot holder and horse connections.

21 minutes ago, Forbury said:

Now that you have given up following harness racing perhaps spend some of your spare time taking a proper writing course and learn about punctuation, paragraphs, full stops etc.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Just watched it and the Trackside employees very enthusiastic for “The Race by Grins”!

Not a very big crowd oncourse although the supporting races were very poor betting races!

Worth a go for harness racing if it engenders interest, but by the amount of tote betting there was very little interest for the average tote punter in NZ with only $30k combined in the win and place pools.

Probably Be a lot of fixed betting but most serious punters wouldnt have bothered!!!!!

I had the combined win and place tote pool at $51,000. Perhaps a similar amount fixed odds and some exotics, so possibly $150,000 on the race all up. Perhaps a $15,000 contribution towards the stake from betting turnover. 

23 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Worth a go for harness racing if it engenders interest, but by the amount of tote betting ther

Don't think people have to bet to take an interest Brodster.

A lot of people are happy to see good racing from quality horses. like example. It's hard to get a bet on Sundees Son  or Akuta , but still great to see them race. 

Forbury upset that the greatest horseman of all (the fab Mark Purdon) won (as always does) apart from surprise defeat last NZ Cup.

Great to see the Aussies turn up after years away from taking on the kiwis. Not a winner like Gammalite hitting the NZ shores but a good second for the CRUISER. So I miss out having a gloat unfortunately !!!!  lol......

Feel free to have a 'gloat' about that very nice horse , taking yet another BIG win mate. I can take it lol.......

• Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I had the combined win and place tote pool at $51,000. Perhaps a similar amount fixed odds and some exotics, so possibly $150,000 on the race all up. Perhaps a $15,000 contribution towards the stake from betting turnover. 

Mustve been a helluva lot of very late money?

Just before close there was 19k in the win and 11k place but turnover on the tote was poor for all of the hype!

Do not think too many were that enthused by “The Race by Grins” as it was basically a shuffle of money between the corporates and the wealthier owners and that is what  it is always going to be.

At the end of the day if you enjoyed “The Race by Grins” then that is great!

For some of the horses entered it seems an easy way to lose $37,500 as they had next to no chance !

What I would say is Southwind Ardern  has gone back to the horse it was before the AllStars took over the training before the Cup carnival. 
Not sure how it could go backwards so much?????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Only horse to beat Self Assured in recent times. (this year)  So not backwards too much ???????????????

Driven hard tonight to lead Spankem mid-race , Mango left him with No Gas left at the end unfortunately. Pretty solid 4th behind 3 Very smart horses including a 1.47 Miracle Mile winner ...Needed Nat driving him ?? 

Good drive by the young Aussie bloke Brodie for 2nd from the second row ?? did it go un-noticed ?? lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Only horse to beat Self Assured in recent times. (this year)  So not backwards too much ???????????????

Driven hard tonight to lead Spankem mid-race , Mango left him with No Gas left at the end unfortunately. Pretty solid 4th behind 3 Very smart horses including a 1.47 Miracle Mile winner ...Needed Nat driving him ?? 

Good drive by the young Aussie bloke Brodie for 2nd from the second row ?? did it go un-noticed ?? lol

Southwind Ardern is not the same horse under Mangos training compared to when AllStars had him last year!

The Ozzie horse went phenomenal and is certainly a rising star by the look of it.

At least it was put into the race, the ones at the back had no show unfortunately !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Southwind Ardern is not the same horse under Mangos training compared to when AllStars had him last year!

Any horse apart from Sundees Son (who already trots sensationally) is almost certain to do well racing out or / near / driven by people at the Allstars operation, than with ANY other trainer.

I dare say Brent Mangos prepared Southcoast Arden for the sensational , smashing 1.51 4yold Jewels win last Winter? and a smacking of NZ's best horse Self Assured last month ?? not too shabby

Well done Brent Mangos !! a LEADING NZ trainer . I remember him driving Luxury Liner against me once. Alas Mark and Nat are way better drivers these days than old Mango, so he gave them a gooooo...  very smart move.

And what great results he got !! inc NZ FFA Group 1 once again defeating Self Assured in that time honoured race!!!!!  excellent stuff. Great horse is SOUTHCOAST ARDEN . would love to own him. 

Curious to see the turnover figures for the whole meeting, The Race itself was on Sky 1 in Australia but the rest on Sky 2 and the pools were small for all races, crowd on TV looked decent but whether they were actual punters is a different story.

On a positive, Dr Luk Chin going gangbusters with his trotters, his horses always have good manners, a credit to his breed and his training skills.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

The Ozzie horse went phenomenal and is certainly a rising star by the look of it.

At least it was put into the race, the ones at the back had no show unfortunately !

Exactly, this the point I made many times but shot down. All Stars were training Southwind Ardern when he was in the meet form of his life, not Mangos although he was listed as the trainer for some unknown reason. Joke.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forbury said:

Sorry to see you go mate. thanks for your interesting posts. And remember, Sarah O'Reilly, she'll be the best one day.

Edited by Davis
  • Like 1

$2.5k and suspension for MP for more than a wrist flicking action, was definitely coming from above shoulder height with a few. That’s called taking one for the team. Still think best horse won but would he if just being flicked?See Majestic Cruiser’s earplug cord broke so he’s gone real good as well.

Edited by CosmicBlacki
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Forbury said:

I take it your punt failed?

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mustve been a helluva lot of very late money?

Just before close there was 19k in the win and 11k place but turnover on the tote was poor for all of the hype!

Do not think too many were that enthused by “The Race by Grins” as it was basically a shuffle of money between the corporates and the wealthier owners and that is what  it is always going to be.

At the end of the day if you enjoyed “The Race by Grins” then that is great!

For some of the horses entered it seems an easy way to lose $37,500 as they had next to no chance !

What I would say is Southwind Ardern  has gone back to the horse it was before the AllStars took over the training before the Cup carnival. 

Same with that Romeo nag that looked like a superstar when Nat trained it. Last night it was dismal.

Mate, did you see that Mr Purdon was suspended for a month and fine for incorrect whip use? I don't think he overdid, maybe got a bit excited when Majestic Cruiser came at him. 

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Don't think people have to bet to take an interest Brodster.

A lot of people are happy to see good racing from quality horses. like example. It's hard to get a bet on Sundees Son  or Akuta , but still great to see them race. 

Forbury upset that the greatest horseman of all (the fab Mark Purdon) won (as always does) apart from surprise defeat last NZ Cup.

Great to see the Aussies turn up after years away from taking on the kiwis. Not a winner like Gammalite hitting the NZ shores but a good second for the CRUISER. So I miss out having a gloat unfortunately !!!!  lol......

Feel free to have a 'gloat' about that very nice horse , taking yet another BIG win mate. I can take it lol.......

I watched the race but didn't bet. I enjoyed it as the late dash from the Aussie made it an exciting finish.

Let's face it, the best pacer in NZ, probably Australasia, Self Assured won. All Stars have been patient with this bloke and he's been well-placed. Purdon knows how good the horse is and I believe the best is yet to come. Self Assured has only had 31 starts!! Nineteen win, eight seconds, three thirds, $1.4m stakes. 

Majestic Cruiser, WOW! His was an eye-catching performance but it was not surprising if you listened to Greg interviewing Jack Trainor. Trainor praised Majestic Cruiser and gave him a real chance.

Spankem huge run considering his lack of recent racing.

Southcoast Arden weak performance, perhaps not enough racing? He was beaten before the turn, battled bravely. Send him back to the All Stars. 

Ricky May. WTF????? Mach Dan blasted from the gate, May looked like he was going to lead at any cost, then he pulled back. WTF? That stupid move changed the whole race. Mach Dan left parked, race over for him. Terrible drive. I do not understand why May was given the drive?

I look forward to next year's THE RACE.

• Like 1

very interesting that Mark Purdon got a hefty fine and a pretty long suspension from driving!

The whip rule at the moment continues to be totally stupid and unrealistic!

Self Assured won due to Purdon giving the horse extra persuasion which broke the current rules and yet the horse gets to keep winning position!

Personally do not think Purdons whip action was excessive and why wouldn't you when there is a total stake of $900k it was the same when Rasmussen won the NZ Cup a few years ago!

The current whip rule is  still stupid and needs amending but we all know that HRNZ wont do anything as they rushed out and changed it when there was no pressure whatsoever to do anything!!

They need to grow some and start making the right decisions before it is too late.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

were you on course?