Bit Of A Yarn

The Race

Forbury

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Is there a lot of interest in this “The Race by Grins”?

Is anyone really excited that this is what is  needed to bring new participants into harness racing?

Yes it  garners a wee bit of interest with the corporate owners choosing who is going to represent them on the track.

As for the race itself, it is a mile race around Cambridge, and yes they  will go fast and the stake money will be transferred to each other!

FFS "a mile"

5 hours ago, Roman said:

Not a mile, 2200m mobile 8 off front 2 on 2nd line.

Not like you to not be on the money 

Was not aware that it is over 2200 metres!!

Thought it mustve been over the mile seem they were going on about the importance of drawing inside!!

Seriously it didnt really give the 3 year olds or mares much of  an advantage if it is over 2200metres!

The older males will win it now that it is over 2200 metres which is a far  better idea than mile racing!

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Look mate, I usually agree with you, but give the Race a chance before you condemn it. I think it will be an interesting race. I backed Spellbound so put the curse on her before she even started. Brodster, it should be all on because of the Australian young gun drivers, they won't let it develop into your typical NZ race where everyone follows the leader. I wouldn't surprise me if a world record set. I probably not have a bet now but I guess the new horse Majestic ??? would be worth a punt? I never heard of the horse before to be honest.

Fair enough now I know it is over 2200m rather than the mile.

Hard to see Stylish Memphis competing well against the boys over that distance

Edited by Brodie

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Was not aware that it is over 2200 metres!!

Thought it mustve been over the mile seem they were going on about the importance of drawing inside!!

Seriously it didnt really give the 3 year olds or mares much of  an advantage if it is over 2200metres!

The older males will win it now that it is over 2200 metres which is a far  better idea than mile racing!

Yeah I thought it was a mile! Had to go and check to make double sure I was right!

• Like 1

How cool is that !!  Great to see some Aussies flying in , to try and kick some kiwi butt and pluck THE Race at it's inaugural running.

Grimson managed to win the Interdominion with a claimer so must be a sharp Trainer and go close to the win.

Gammalite, My Lightning Blue, I'mTheMighty Quinn , Westburn Grant, Smoken Up and Our SirVancelot were all a fair while ago now , flying over to win the Very Big races in NZ for Aussie trainers ............

so lets add to that list !!! lol..... lets go Majestic Cruiser, (and Orlando and Memphis) 

19 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Fair enough now I know it is over 2200m rather than the mile.

Hard to see Stylish Memphis competing well against the boys over that distance

I disagree. The draw is a massive factor especially at Cambridge. Stylish Memphis will be first out and then get an easy run on the fence when something comes around. I still think Self Assured is the best horse in the race and should win but you never know...

35 minutes ago, Davis said:

I disagree. The draw is a massive factor especially at Cambridge. Stylish Memphis will be first out and then get an easy run on the fence when something comes around. I still think Self Assured is the best horse in the race and should win but you never know...

It will be a fantastic race for the involvment of the Australians as there will be speed on and attacks.the horse that benifits from a very fast run race is self assured who must be primed as mark does always.if the Aussies control speed and run it for each other it's going to struggle to win.one GTD self assured won't be in front until last 200.who is going to run last would be a great bet.my money is on Skitzo Krug and pembrook playboy.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

How cool is that !!  Great to see some Aussies flying in , to try and kick some kiwi butt and pluck THE Race at it's inaugural running.

Grimson managed to win the Interdominion with a claimer so must be a sharp Trainer and go close to the win.

Gammalite, My Lightning Blue, I'mTheMighty Quinn , Westburn Grant, Smoken Up and Our SirVancelot were all a fair while ago now , flying over to win the Very Big races in NZ for Aussie trainers ............

so lets add to that list !!! lol..... lets go Majestic Cruiser, (and Orlando and Memphis) 

Gamma, alto Orlando and Stylish Memphis are pretty much Kiwi horses, but it is not uncommon for you to claim NZ stuff as Ozzie, except for the crims that are brought up in Oz and you send them to  us!!!!!!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

50 minutes ago, Davis said:

Cant see it having much chance racing against the boys, as it has been racing against horses not in the same class as what she will meet here!

She is a very good mare but if she goes 3 back the fence then she cant win at Cambridge!

As for a race to punt on, I will take the non winners races!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Gamma, alto Orlando and Stylish Memphis are pretty much Kiwi horses, but it is not uncommon for you to claim NZ stuff as Ozzie, except for the crims that are brought up in Oz and you send them to  us!!!!!!!!

Stylish Memphis is Canterbury owned by Wayne Higgs well-known former trainer and successful breeder. 

32 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Gamma, alto Orlando and Stylish Memphis are pretty much Kiwi horses,

10 minutes ago, Davis said:

Stylish Memphis is Canterbury owned by Wayne Higgs well-known former trainer and successful breeder. 

Yes and with Alto Orlando raced by Robert and John Dunn (pretty well known in Canterbury) you could say it's a NZ victory !  Personally i always give most credit to the 'Training' team . but all good . still love a NZ victory !!!  

• Like 2

On 5/04/2022 at 3:45 PM, Gammalite said:

Steel Jaw and Golden Reign

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 5:00 PM, Gammalite said:

10 slots all sold for $75,000 each for the 3 year term. with the host Waikato / Bay Of Plenty Club putting up the remaining $150,000.

Marketing and HRNZ and sponsor corporate interest for the day on-course  etc should regather that ?

Havnt really got into the slots setup, as there is only nine runners what happens to the slot holder of the non runner, have they done there dough,? 

27 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Havnt really got into the slots setup, as there is only nine runners what happens to the slot holder of the non runner, have they done there dough,? 

They said they would get $37,500 back which is the minimum any get back.

Good way to lose $37,500 without competing

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

No, apparently the slot holder and the connections of the horse that they originally had/were allocated, however it works, split the $37,500 between them. So the slot holder gets about $18,000 for their $75,000 investment. Great business model.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

So they buy the slot, can have any horse run for them and obviously get a cut of the prize, dont seem to do anything for the average battler but if you have a good one that can get in the race for good money dont seem such a bad idea I spose, be interesting how the betting goes turnover wise.

57 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

So they buy the slot, can have any horse run for them and obviously get a cut of the prize, dont seem to do anything for the average battler but if you have a good one that can get in the race for good money dont seem such a bad idea I spose,

Wish the club had thought about involving the average battler.

People involved in 'Buying and/or Owning' a slot can race a great horse once a year in partnership with it's real owners. a very good concept to get some new people involved in the industry (or just have a fun day out each Easter)

For the Battler the club should of had a promotions person draw 'Ambassadors' for each runner from the general public , like a lottery , and have prizes scaling down from 1st to last provided by sponsors. EVERYONE could get involved then . and 10 or 9 is it this year lucky people could also be involved in a runner for THE RACE.  (someone at BOAY could of had a runner would be cool lol..)

• Like 2