Bit Of A Yarn

The Race

Forbury

14 hours ago, Davis said:

Blair Orange is a strange one. When he left All Stars with the backing of Mark I thought he was going into a training partnership with K. Barron. That has never happened although he drives for the stable. K. Barron doesn't have many good horses lately and wins rare. What happened to the partnership mate?

Think Tony was there at the same time and I heard it may have been too many cooks!

• Champ Post 1

On 4/15/2022 at 2:48 PM, Gammalite said:

I think it is admirable that you and some like Ludwig for example support the looser class horses and the lesser known racing centres. Often involving some harness tradition too. like the Kindergarten Stakes the other day. Also won by Allstars (for 5th year running I think.) Olivia T getting the job done.

I'm glad you appreciate ALLstars too. I can see you love their work with Southcoast Arden. I do too. but wasn't gunna throw old mate Mango under the bus like you. Afterall He did do a fair bit with that horse at times lol.....  not enough to please the Brodster though... hehehe. You missed the bus on being a horse trainer mate lol... could of been on the money lol.

I see Auckland is not high on the'popular' list with many. and yes , some of the decisions like that developement disaster , have wrecked things a bit.  

AUCKLAND Needs someone like we got here in Brissy , (millionaires Garrard and Seymour) to take action by breeding incentives and breeding horses (sponsored age group racing) bringing in their mates from other fields to have a crack,  etc to prop the game up  ,  or it will be dead for all. Lots of folk live in Auckland but the entertainment factor is spread amongst other pastimes , and dollars are tight in a lot of cases.

I have even given up betting NZ trots (and am a Dour Supporter) and make a living punting on football actually. Only 2 starters per and odds way better than horses considering . and find them matches easy to pick. So guess harness racing is in trouble when supporters like myself are giving it away lol........

So you bet on football, never a moment in the day that there ain't a game on somewhere, what do you bet on, head to head or unders and overs, lots of leagues, some produce more goals than others.

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

So you bet on football, never a moment in the day that there ain't a game on somewhere, what do you bet on, head to head or unders and overs, lots of leagues, some produce more goals than others.

mainly AFL, huge lunge at Brownlow each year (although lost last year as thought the Bont was an absolute certainty. EPL, Bundesliga, NRL at times (although Broncos are going like shit these days) Vic Wednesday racing and Sydney Saturday racing. Have 100 ew on best 50 ew 2nd best of day, 20 ew on best 2 'odds' runners, etc. profit 3 out of every 4 weeks (and usually not far away on the 4th either.) each month. 500 spend max per week.

Alas, in 'THE RACE' put 20 on Alta Orlando and 20 on Majestic Cruiser to support the Aussies at 12-1 each. Good to see them having a crack in NZ again. Pretty stupid to take on Marky Boy and the brilliant 'Self Assured' and so got what I deserved lol... zip,nil lol.... lost 100 on Self Assured by him not winning NZ Cup in Nov after thought he was a special to go back to back. Maybe this year he'll get his second Cup I would think ? 

On 4/15/2022 at 3:27 PM, Davis said:

I haven't been betting lately but there is still money to be made. I prefer Group 1 races but others like punting maestro Brodie opt for Motukarara. We all do the best we can.

Think THE FALCON was a favourite of youers, so hope you might have snagged some Easter Cash for a bun and eggs and nice 'sipper' lol, with a collect on the good odds for his feature Win last night 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Think THE FALCON was a favourite of youers, so hope you might have snagged some Easter Cash for a bun and eggs and nice 'sipper' lol, with a collect on the good odds for his feature Win last night 

I didn't back him Gamma, but not surprised by the win. Great drive Gerard O'Reilly. The Falcon ran third in the 2021 NZ Derby behind Krug and BD Joe so he is no slouch. 

G&J Dunn to quinella this year's NZ Cup with Laver and The Falcon... get on early!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

mainly AFL, huge lunge at Brownlow each year (although lost last year as thought the Bont was an absolute certainty. EPL, Bundesliga, NRL at times (although Broncos are going like shit these days) Vic Wednesday racing and Sydney Saturday racing. Have 100 ew on best 50 ew 2nd best of day, 20 ew on best 2 'odds' runners, etc. profit 3 out of every 4 weeks (and usually not far away on the 4th either.) each month. 500 spend max per week.

Alas, in 'THE RACE' put 20 on Alta Orlando and 20 on Majestic Cruiser to support the Aussies at 12-1 each. Good to see them having a crack in NZ again. Pretty stupid to take on Marky Boy and the brilliant 'Self Assured' and so got what I deserved lol... zip,nil lol.... lost 100 on Self Assured by him not winning NZ Cup in Nov after thought he was a special to go back to back. Maybe this year he'll get his second Cup I would think ? 

In aussie if you want to bet live dont you have to phone the betting site?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Anyone want 100/1 rock'n'roll doo with m Stanley driving training as it was announced the Aussie boys have it for there slot for 2023.the way Jason Grimson is going give him the horse and I won't even offer 1.05.he only lost the race last year to team blue juice race fixers because they teamed drived with mango.that did get me angry cause he should of won and I backed it at over the odds.

• Haha 1

“The Race” over hyped and not to the benefit of harness racing only to the ones that dont  need the money.

Weird the way they promote this “The Race” for months and yet the rest of the year they do very little promotion of harness racing to attract newbies???

• Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

“The Race” over hyped and not to the benefit of harness racing only to the ones that dont  need the money.

Weird the way they promote this “The Race” for months and yet the rest of the year they do very little promotion of harness racing to attract newbies???

The Race continues to baffle me.. It keeps being touted as the next best thing in harness racing. But at the same time, the Cambridge club is calling emergency meetings to discuss the growing crisis in harness, particularly in the north.

So how many new owners, trainers, supporters did the Race attract?

• Like 3

On 1/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, Ludwig said:

The Race continues to baffle me.. It keeps being touted as the next best thing in harness racing. But at the same time, the Cambridge club is calling emergency meetings to discuss the growing crisis in harness, particularly in the north.

So how many new owners, trainers, supporters did the Race attract?

I think of the Race as a nice thing to have for an industry that is booming, but something quite bizarre for an industry struggling badly.

• Like 2

Have “The Race” if you want to but all the media BS on Trackside etc. is just blatant annoying!

The corporates and wealthy owners put the money up to pay for the stake and all we get is this The Race by Groms for flipping months!

So much more than the NZ Cup and force a race that lasts for less than 2 minutes.

Promote harness racing to the public not this novelty race for the elite as it does nothing for the benefit of harness racings future unfortunately!

• Like 1