Bit Of A Yarn

Lizzie Richter - Unruly or NOT??

Brodie

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Better track.  Paced all the way.  Worked the hardest in the race and nearly got there.  Turned the corner @Brodie and @Davis?

Thanks for that, didn't know she was racing no interest in Rangiora. Yes, it looks like she could be coming right. Hats off to Terence Chmiel as he must have worked hard to turn her around? Looks like she should win three or four~

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davis said:

Thanks for that, didn't know she was racing no interest in Rangiora. Yes, it looks like she could be coming right. Hats off to Terence Chmiel as he must have worked hard to turn her around? Looks like she should win three or four~

She's a nice horse.  Can run time.  She hasn't paid her way for her owners but she has more than paid her way industry wise.

I remember an occasion on the Nelson/Marlborough circuit where an old owner/trainer had his first win after 20 years of trying.  He and everyone else celebrated well into the night.

Such is the SPORT!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Na. Great to see her pace all the way from the UNRULY which is where she needs to stay and not be allowed back into the draw!

Put back on the front line and racing in a field and she will gallop again!

To be fair you would have thought she shouldve won yesterday as it was the WEAKEST MAIDEN FIELD IN HISTORY!

All the reasonable horses were in the Graduation Final!

There will never be a weaker maiden field in Canterbury ever!!!!

It has speed and some stamina but not the brain capacity to be a successful racehorse worth persevering with for financial reasons!

Edited by Brodie
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

She's a nice horse.  Can run time.  She hasn't paid her way for her owners but she has more than paid her way industry wise.

I remember an occasion on the Nelson/Marlborough circuit where an old owner/trainer had his first win after 20 years of trying.  He and everyone else celebrated well into the night.

Such is the SPORT!

Who would that be Chief? 

I remember the days of Noel Berkett with his famous black and gold colours. I followed the trotter Chesapeake around and the handy mare Lady Eastburn. Those colours are still worn occasionally by his son in law Murray Pash who married Noel's daughter Cheryl. Noel passed away in the early 1980's. 

Murray could be relied upon at the local Nelson meeting for the wrong reasons. Virtually every one of his runners started at more than 99-1 and ran accordingly year in year out. I remember Murray grabbing a winner in the mud at Westport and wondering what the hell had happened...haha

Murray has trained a couple of handy ones since and grabbed his share of winners over the years. 

I miss the grass track harness meetings at Nelson. One of my fav spots.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Blackie said:

Brodie has broken one of the golden rules of horses… never condemn them till they’re in the ground.

Blackie, to be fair you know as well as I do, the stake money earnt by Lizzie is a pittance of what it has cost to win that, and going forward very hard  to see it winning another one!

Good on it for finally winning one and getting around the track without galloping!

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

Blackie, to be fair you know as well as I do, the stake money earnt by Lizzie is a pittance of what it has cost to win that, and going forward very hard  to see it winning another one!

Good on it for finally winning one and getting around the track without galloping!

I can not believe owners spend so much money on these type of horses. Lunacy!

Speaking of nutty decisions. I see our favourite trotter Gotta Ticket has a new trainer. WTF!!! Why would you? OK old Davis will probably get egg on the moosh  now as the horse will come and win but really I still cannot understand it mate. Craig Smith is the trainer, never heard of him?? And he's got a worse record than the millionaire Mark Gill, and that's saying something. 

It's a head scratcher mate...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davis said:

I can not believe owners spend so much money on these type of horses. Lunacy!

Speaking of nutty decisions. I see our favourite trotter Gotta Ticket has a new trainer. WTF!!! Why would you? OK old Davis will probably get egg on the moosh  now as the horse will come and win but really I still cannot understand it mate. Craig Smith is the trainer, never heard of him?? And he's got a worse record than the millionaire Mark Gill, and that's saying something. 

It's a head scratcher mate...

As you and brodie already realise,owners only have a hope,not an expectation that the horse they race will return a profit.

There would be no racing if only the horses that may return a profit were persevered with.

Suggesting people should give up based on profit fails to recognise the possible non financial rewards that go with racing a horse.There are many. Obviously they may not always come to fruition.

Its a bit like hope,its better to have it in life than not,and its better to spend your time trying to achieve at something you value,than to not attempt at all.

I'm sure brodie and davis would acknowledge there was a sense of achievement associated with those involved in the ownership and training of lizzie richter.

Thats how i think we should view lizzie richters win.I'm sure its how her connections would have viewed it,and after all it is them who paid the bills ro persevere when most wouldn't have.So its their feelings around the win which matter most anyway.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, the galah said:

As you and brodie already realise,owners only have a hope,not an expectation that the horse they race will return a profit.

There would be no racing if only the horses that may return a profit were persevered with.

Suggesting people should give up based on profit fails to recognise the possible non financial rewards that go with racing a horse.There are many. Obviously they may not always come to fruition.

Its a bit like hope,its better to have it in life than not,and its better to spend your time trying to achieve at something you value,than to not attempt at all.

I'm sure brodie and davis would acknowledge there was a sense of achievement associated with those involved in the ownership and training of lizzie richter.

Thats how i think we should view lizzie richters win.I'm sure its how her connections would have viewed it,and after all it is them who paid the bills ro persevere when most wouldn't have.So its their feelings around the win which matter most anyway.

Yes, I get your point mate, and it's a fair point. I have owned horses and I know that some owners overrate the horse or fall in love with them, big time. That's OK, everyone is different. But even so I still cannot understand why you would persevere with a poorly bred 10 year old gelding like Gotta Ticket. WTF?

In fact it is time for some straight talking! I do not understand Mr Mark Gill? He's one of the richest men in Marlborough and that's saying something cos there's some big money up there, yet he races and trains cheap poorly bred stock. He could afford to buy the highest lot at the yearling sales and train that. Why doesn't he? Lunacy!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davis said:

Yes, I get your point mate, and it's a fair point. I have owned horses and I know that some owners overrate the horse or fall in love with them, big time. That's OK, everyone is different. But even so I still cannot understand why you would persevere with a poorly bred 10 year old gelding like Gotta Ticket. WTF?

In fact it is time for some straight talking! I do not understand Mr Mark Gill? He's one of the richest men in Marlborough and that's saying something cos there's some big money up there, yet he races and trains cheap poorly bred stock. He could afford to buy the highest lot at the yearling sales and train that. Why doesn't he? Lunacy!

Well if hes one of the richest men in marlborough  then it sounds like hes made many wise financial choices along the way. Unlike many,it sounds like he is in the position of choosing the  level of horse or breeding of what said horse may be. For him its obviously where hes happy. Better to be happy and well off,than just well off and seeing everything in life through the lens of the $.

Also,ask yourself, would you get more satisfaction out of winning a race with a horse whose family you had bred and raised,or would you get more satisfaction out of winning double the amount of races with one you had bought from the sales. The answer for many would be the former,and actually used to be part of the reason why harness racing used to be so strong.

Just depends how people see things and where each in person feels they get the most satisfaction and joy.And obviously peoples views of such things can change along the way based on their own experiences of what they find rewarding and worthwhile.

Edited by the galah

Reality is that as far as I am aware, it costs just as much to train a slow gorse as it does a fast one.

So why people continue to want to shell out thousands of dollars a month to see their horse run down the track every start is bewildering!

Lizzie Richter has shown she has speed but is a head case and has got everything now on her head to try and stop her being the njt case.

Good to see her get a win in a very weak race for the owners.

Craig Smith is a good young fellah who used to work initially for the Dunn’s at Woodend and then went to Auckland to train and drive.

Been back in the south for a wee while now and seems to train horses that need improving, so good luck to him!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Reality is that as far as I am aware, it costs just as much to train a slow gorse as it does a fast one.

So why people continue to want to shell out thousands of dollars a month to see their horse run down the track every start is bewildering!

Lizzie Richter has shown she has speed but is a head case and has got everything now on her head to try and stop her being the njt case.

Good to see her get a win in a very weak race for the owners.

Craig Smith is a good young fellah who used to work initially for the Dunn’s at Woodend and then went to Auckland to train and drive.

Been back in the south for a wee while now and seems to train horses that need improving, so good luck to him!

It would often cost more to train the slow horse mate. If they are any good the trainer is often happy to take a share in the horse. If it's really good the trainer will have a share but the training will be included in share deal, other owners of a horse like this pay less than an owner of a slow horse like Gotta Ticket. Lunacy mate!

• Like 1

When I owned horses I had x amount of dollars per month for "horses". While some were spelling another would come into work.  A win was a bonus. And I have trophies from races won.  Permanent memories! 

Any dollars won went back into the game. I usually had 2 in work at one time. 

Hj

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davis said:

It would often cost more to train the slow horse mate. If they are any good the trainer is often happy to take a share in the horse. If it's really good the trainer will have a share but the training will be included in share deal, other owners of a horse like this pay less than an owner of a slow horse like Gotta Ticket. Lunacy mate!

Gill seems to be one of those owner/trainer types who trains their own horses and therefore doesn't pay out training fees to another trainer. Obviously there is still a significant cost involved in even training your own,but i would guess it would only be about 1/3 if you were doing them yourself instead of paying someone.It just comes down to whether someone can commit the time and energy to do them themselves,as its obviously unpaid. 

Doesn't his daughter do that anyway and earns driving fees when she drives.  

Gotta ticket has earned $36,000 from only the 1 win and a dozen or so placings.This season he has earned $2800 from 1 3rd and 11 unplaced runs.Obviously a significant portion of all those earnings is from appearance money. If a horse races on sunday they seem to get about $157 and on friday $227. The drivers fee comes out of that.I am not sure the exact amount that is,but i think it used to be around $85.Maybe gill has an arrangement with smith around training fees. 

Look at steve lock. He lines up a handful each week and in reality after paying all his costs,he should be making a small profit even when he regularly runs outside the dividend bearing places.

The point is if you are training your own horses and lining them up regularly and driving them yourself the appearance money should more than cover costs. If your not driving them ,but have 3 or 4 in,and are using the same vehicle to transport them,then the appearance money should cover costs.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Gill seems to be one of those owner/trainer types who trains their own horses and therefore doesn't pay out training fees to another trainer. Obviously there is still a significant cost involved in even training your own,but i would guess it would only be about 1/3 if you were doing them yourself instead of paying someone.It just comes down to whether someone can commit the time and energy to do them themselves,as its obviously unpaid. 

Doesn't his daughter do that anyway and earns driving fees when she drives.  

Gotta ticket has earned $36,000 from only the 1 win and a dozen or so placings.This season he has earned $2800 from 1 3rd and 11 unplaced runs.Obviously a significant portion of all those earnings is from appearance money. If a horse races on sunday they seem to get about $157 and on friday $227. The drivers fee comes out of that.I am not sure the exact amount that is,but i think it used to be around $85.Maybe gill has an arrangement with smith around training fees. 

Look at steve lock. He lines up a handful each week and in reality after paying all his costs,he should be making a small profit even when he regularly runs outside the dividend bearing places.

The point is if you are training your own horses and lining them up regularly and driving them yourself the appearance money should more than cover costs. If your not driving them ,but have 3 or 4 in,and are using the same vehicle to transport them,then the appearance money should cover costs.

Correct and obviously cheaper but horse also of course is not as well trained or as fit as it should be. Feed, vets, fuel etc all the same regardless of quality of horse. Yes, his daughters help out and Kendra has a junior licence but she has few drives now. She hasn't made the grade as a driver and not likely to get outside drives. I am not sure why Miss Gill hasn't been successful as a driver because she is a very accomplished equestrian rider. Strange?

As I have said before mate, the present handicapping system suits some trotters. The full proof and consistent earners like The Bloss, Bright Glow, Sod's Law etc have won over $100,000 in stakes. That is good going for their class of horse. Horse like this would not have earned as much back in the day because they would have got to C3-4 and that would be it. 

I see what you are saying about Lock. Yes, they line up regularly, not sure why but they do. The fuel bill must be quite high from Oamaru to Christchurch, but I guess a couple of appearance fees would pay that. His other runners earn him $500 or so, good money I guess. 

You never know this new fellow Craig Smith might improve Gotta Ticket. Brodie seems to think he is a good horseman, so I'll take his work on that. I think the horse is better on hard tracks so Addington will suit him

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Davis said:

Correct and obviously cheaper but horse also of course is not as well trained or as fit as it should be. Feed, vets, fuel etc all the same regardless of quality of horse. Yes, his daughters help out and Kendra has a junior licence but she has few drives now. She hasn't made the grade as a driver and not likely to get outside drives. I am not sure why Miss Gill hasn't been successful as a driver because she is a very accomplished equestrian rider. Strange?

As I have said before mate, the present handicapping system suits some trotters. The full proof and consistent earners like The Bloss, Bright Glow, Sod's Law etc have won over $100,000 in stakes. That is good going for their class of horse. Horse like this would not have earned as much back in the day because they would have got to C3-4 and that would be it. 

I see what you are saying about Lock. Yes, they line up regularly, not sure why but they do. The fuel bill must be quite high from Oamaru to Christchurch, but I guess a couple of appearance fees would pay that. His other runners earn him $500 or so, good money I guess. 

You never know this new fellow Craig Smith might improve Gotta Ticket. Brodie seems to think he is a good horseman, so I'll take his work on that. I think the horse is better on hard tracks so Addington will suit him

Craig Smith will improve the horse as it has some ability but bred to be a pacer and started its life as such I believe

There have been quite a number of pacing breds trotting recently with limited success though.

It is anyones right to train their own horses and bet enjoyment out of it and save huge training costs!

However it is very rare for a harness horse that is trained by its owner and not getting results to all of a sudden start winning!

It seems to only occur when they put the gorse into the hands of a successful trainer!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...