Bit Of A Yarn

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I didn't think it possible but the new CEO speaks more Corporate style BS than all his predessors put together.

Early days yet, but so far he doesn't appear to have brought anything new to the job. He obviously enthused them during the interview process. God know what the other candidates were like.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Early days yet, but so far he doesn't appear to have brought anything new to the job. He obviously enthused them during the interview process. God know what the other candidates were like.

Appears to me and many others I've spoken with the only thing he is going to bring to the job is the theft of community assets.

13 minutes ago, Huey said:

Appears to me and many others I've spoken with the only thing he is going to bring to the job is the theft of community assets.

It will be interesting to hear if he has an opinion about the Taplins heading to Oz after their successes today. I seem to recall Bernie's attitude when asked about the Tylers winding down was along the lines of "f..k off, won't be missed."

I get the impression that if the Southlanders don't want to move to Riccarton and race on the AWT they are considered irrelevant and can't expect much support going forward.

• Like 1

With regards to the youtube video , it's the usual pretentious claptrap from Mills.

Old Millsey waxes lyrical on how the Polytrack will cater for greater participation but he fails to see that when John Parsons and Michael Pitman are gone there will be insufficient horse numbers to hold an 8 race card!

And why didn't old Millsey make an effort to fix Riccarton's atrocious asphalt roads whilst Fulton Hogan had their heavy machinery on course???

• Like 3

I have just noticed that there is no grass track meeting anywhere in Canterbury between last week's Riccarton meeting on 7 May and the next Timaru meeting on 12 June. 36 days without a grass track opportunity anywhere. During the same period there are only two AWT meetings as well. How does a trainer justify keeping going, especially if they have horses that don't want AWTs? Gone are the days of horses that like wet tracks waiting until the rains come. I suppose the only option is to send them all to Sydney.

I presume they don't want the embarrassment of hundreds of horses nominating for Timaru and having to eliminate many of them. If they are so insistent on AWTs why not alternate between  AWT and grass tracks week about? One presumes the same thing will happen once the AWT gets going at Awapuni.

I can't understand why trainers tolerate this, obviously some are voting with their feet, but surely some would prefer to remain in Canterbury and take their chances at Timaru and Ashburton. Do I read it quite wrong and are most trainers happy with the regime?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I can't understand why trainers tolerate this, obviously some are voting with their feet, but surely some would prefer to remain in Canterbury and take their chances at Timaru and Ashburton. Do I read it quite wrong and are most trainers happy with the regime?

Trainers are too soft and scared to speak out.  Where is the South Islands leading trainer @Pitman and contributor to the programming committee?

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Trainers are too soft and scared to speak out.  Where is the South Islands leading trainer @Pitman and contributor to the programming committee?

Don't be an utter dick

Why should Pitty speak out?  He is an open fan of the AWT and also makes it quite clear he chases the better stake days(and both of those are at Riccarton - in general in the case of the better stakes)

As he says travel to other tracks costs money for his owners so he is quite happy to race all the time at Riccarton.

Whether ultimately his opinions are proved correct remains to be seen(personally I believe the demise of all the other racing venues will eventually kill the South Island Racing Industry and with it Riccarton but I am past caring).  But there is no particular onus on Pitty to take up the cudgels on behalf of other racing centres.  He may be quite happy to have no grass track racing for seven weeks(I have no idea) but why should he be expected to sort it out?

The programming(dates) committee(as covered ad infinitum in the Wingatui thread) takes its cue from NZTR who make their own minds up before the draft is issued and clearly have the attitude that no correspondence will be entered into despite inviting  submissions.  Mills may have a lot of input but reining him in and monitoring what he is advocating is up to the CJC committee not to MR Pitman.  Simply because those CEO guys have eff all else to do and accordingly plenty of time to get in the ear of the half wits at NZTR they are going to have a major say.  NZTR even conduct monthly meetings with the big Clubs where the small are excluded(Clubs with less than 3 days have their separate monthly phone in but they will be treated like mushrooms while the 'big' mobs are no doubt being promised a land of milk and honey once the small Clubs assets are seized)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Don't be an utter dick

Why should Pitty speak out?  He is an open fan of the AWT and also makes it quite clear he chases the better stake days(and both of those are at Riccarton - in general in the case of the better stakes)

As he says travel to other tracks costs money for his owners so he is quite happy to race all the time at Riccarton.

Whether ultimately his opinions are proved correct remains to be seen(personally I believe the demise of all the other racing venues will eventually kill the South Island Racing Industry and with it Riccarton but I am past caring).  But there is no particular onus on Pitty to take up the cudgels on behalf of other racing centres.  He may be quite happy to have no grass track racing for seven weeks(I have no idea) but why should he be expected to sort it out?

The programming(dates) committee(as covered ad infinitum in the Wingatui thread) takes its cue from NZTR who make their own minds up before the draft is issued and clearly have the attitude that no correspondence will be entered into despite inviting  submissions.  Mills may have a lot of input but reining him in and monitoring what he is advocating is up to the CJC committee not to MR Pitman.  Simply because those CEO guys have eff all else to do and accordingly plenty of time to get in the ear of the half wits at NZTR they are going to have a major say.  NZTR even conduct monthly meetings with the big Clubs where the small are excluded(Clubs with less than 3 days have their separate monthly phone in but they will be treated like mushrooms while the 'big' mobs are no doubt being promised a land of milk and honey once the small Clubs assets are seized)

The little hope the industry has left , would require the installation of staff within nztr who understand how the industry works and dare I say it have passion for its future.

I strongly believe this will not happen and the industry will just continue on its merry way to no where. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

The little hope the industry has left , would require the installation of staff within nztr who understand how the industry works and dare I say it have passion for its future.

I strongly believe this will not happen and the industry will just continue on its merry way to no where. 

exactly.  people with a broader view than just looking after their own clubs and interests and who are prepared (1)to stand up to the Waikato Mafia and (2) take the tough steps to sort out the mess the big Clubs are creating

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reefton said:

exactly.  people with a broader view than just looking after their own clubs and interests and who are prepared (1)to stand up to the Waikato Mafia and (2) take the tough steps to sort out the mess the big Clubs are creating

Ironically of course the big clubs may end up eliminating themselves anyhow. You just know Trentham will cock up this multi million dollar development and go the same way as the Auckland trots.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doomed said:

Ironically of course the big clubs may end up eliminating themselves anyhow. You just know Trentham will cock up this multi million dollar development and go the same way as the Auckland trots.

again exactly!  In my view the best interests long term of NZ raicng would be to use the new Act to seize those big clubs assets(nobody ever goes to their venues), build new and superior facilities in cheaper locales and put the rest in the bank to use for stakes and upkeep

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Why blame the so called "Waikato Mafia"?  Where are the South Island Trainers screaming from the rooftops?

Target close to home first.  Aiming at the mythical Mafia only diminishes and weakens your argument.  Act locally!!!!

Otherwise you are just buying into the divide and rule and every other conspiracy.

Presumably the Waikato Mafia includes Te Akau - do they really have that much input into Sth Island racing programing?  

Get on the phone (Zoom) and get all the Sth Island stakeholders working together.  

1 minute ago, Reefton said:

again exactly!  In my view the best interests long term of NZ raicng would be to use the new Act to seize those big clubs assets(nobody ever goes to their venues), build new and superior facilities in cheaper locales and put the rest in the bank to use for stakes and upkeep

Then aim at Riccarton.  Fight your battles close to home first.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why blame the so called "Waikato Mafia"?  Where are the South Island Trainers screaming from the rooftops?

Target close to home first.  Aiming at the mythical Mafia only diminishes and weakens your argument.  Act locally!!!!

Otherwise you are just buying into the divide and rule and every other conspiracy.

Presumably the Waikato Mafia includes Te Akau - do they really have that much input into Sth Island racing programing?  

Get on the phone (Zoom) and get all the Sth Island stakeholders working together.  

Again (predictably) you are being a dick

I am not trying to dictate what happens up there(other than to give them good advice about curing their own problems) but they insist on trying to dictate what happens to my course(and the other rural venues)

They(and Riccarton) have had millions and millions and millions put into their venues and they are still a disgrace both in terms of attendance and the standard of facility and track presentation.  And instead of looking inward they seize on the small successful(comparatively) clubs as the source of their problems.

And insofar as Te Akau is concerned you want to get over your fixation with them.  NZ racing would survive without Te Akau but Te Akau's racing operation in NZ would not survive without NZ racing

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

The All Weather meeting at Riccarton this week will be interesting. They have certainly given it every chance to be successful with it being the only industry meeting in Canterbury for 36 days and obviously no Canterbury grass track meeting during that time. You would expect the fields to be massive.

Interesting that the Cambridge meeting this week could only manage 7 races, several with smallish fields, and that after lots of horses were balloted out down the road at Matamata a few days ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huey said:

A 5 horse field and 2 x 7 horse fields on the Cambridge AWT today. 

Someone remind me how this was supposed to fix all the industry ills again?

Don't worry, they will learn from this. Next year they will ban all grass track meetings within a 300 kilmetre radius for two weeks either side of the AWT meetings. Seems to have worked at Riccarton so they will do it for Cambridge and Awapuni next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

I'm not near a tv, so anyone watching can you tell me if they are still frothing at the mouth at this great modern invention that's going to revive the racing industry in NZ ?

AWTs and the return of Tony Lee have both been put forward as the saviours of NZ Racing.

Both appear to have failed thus far;

The futures not so bright so i will dispense with the Shades

On 5/12/2022 at 12:39 PM, Reefton said:

Don't be an utter dick

So is there anyone on this dates programming committee who is looking out for the interests of West Coast, Otago, Southland etc? Or are they all focused on their own particular area of interest?

On 5/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, Doomed said:

The All Weather meeting at Riccarton this week will be interesting. They have certainly given it every chance to be successful with it being the only industry meeting in Canterbury for 36 days and obviously no Canterbury grass track meeting during that time. You would expect the fields to be massive.

Interesting that the Cambridge meeting this week could only manage 7 races, several with smallish fields, and that after lots of horses were balloted out down the road at Matamata a few days ago.

Well there were only 7 races programmed. 

6 hours ago, Ludwig said:

So is there anyone on this dates programming committee who is looking out for the interests of West Coast, Otago, Southland etc? Or are they all focused on their own particular area of interest?

I don't really believe the southern area is too badly treated regarding dates, basically from the big pissup meeting at Ascot Park before Xmas, until Easter at Riverton there are a good number of Feature meetings on Saturdays to boot before and after that the numbers tend to be a bit thin, just the way it is, hard to know if they could justify any more days.

Once again the old  Timaru situation crops up regarding their starus, Riverton , Gore Ascot Park, Wingatui 5 or 6 times Cromwell and Oamaru all  have feature days so why not Washdyke, there is something for the decision makers to work on, just my thoughts.

20 hours ago, Ludwig said:

I don't think there is so much a lack of interest in those areas in particular just a lack of interest in the South Island in general

We would like another raceday sure but the Westland situation clearly rankles with them still so we will not get that I wouldn't think.

The issue is no thought into the pattern of racing in the South.  No logical two year old series especially south of Christchurch nor much for three year olds.  Ten weeks with not one feature meeting within 5 hours of Christchurch and then series of probably ten feature meetings within eleven weeks.  As stated seven weeks with not one grass track meeting in Canterbury.  From our perspective too short a timeframe for our meetings(but we are a minor issue in the bigger scheme of things to be fair.

I think there is a pretty fair distribution of feature meetings (maybe the CJC has got a one of two too many - but clearly Mills has sway at NZTR(having plenty of time to be in their ear).  Timaru definitely deserves one or two given the shit days they put up with in winter.   There just needs to be a better pattern of racing that's all and it needs some innovators in regards the type of racing(claiming races, going back to the old 'for horses that have not won a race in the past year' or 'horses that have not won more than $10k in the last year'. That type of thing.  Just some thinking re

It is just that the

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1