Bit Of A Yarn

Why Do Auckland Race The Wrong Way Around????

The racing at Alexandra Park is awful on the whole!

Why do they race right handed??!
What is the reason that they can not  race the correct way around with an alteration or two??

Surely if they can put a man on the moon and save thousands of lives from Covid death they could right what is wrong???

This would entice more owners and trainers to race at Auckland and improve the poor racing there!

The punters are abandoning wagering on Auckland in big numbers, and without them Auckland surely is not economical to race at with the stake money that is being paid out there?

54 minutes ago, Kane21 said:

Is that why they don't bet on Sydney racing only Melbourne?

So basically you agree with me Kane!

To be fair there is  a heck of a difference between a standardbred racing with a sulky on and plenty of gear and a galloper with a saddle oN racing on a bigger grass track!!!

Not that I follow Ozzie gallops but there seems to be  left and right tracks in most if not all States!

In NZ the only track raced on for the last few decades going right handed is Alexandra Park!

The truth and reality of the matter is that punters are not being enticed to wager on Alexandra Park as the racing is pretty boring!

When the biggest city in NEW ZEALAND, Auckland on a Friday night and the only meeting on with comingled pools can only attract $6 to  $7k on the win and place pools, there is a major issue!!!!

Punters do not like the racing and currently there is no way that they are running at a profit!

Why do they race the wrong way around when every other harness track race left hand including all of the Ozzie harness metropolitan tracks???!

Auckland needs to do something to entice the punters or it is Doomed!

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, Brodie said:

So basically you agree with me Kane!

To be fair there is  a heck of a difference between a standardbred racing with a sulky on and plenty of gear and a galloper with a saddle oN racing on a bigger grass track!!!

Not that I follow Ozzie gallops but there seems to be  left and right tracks in most if not all States!

In NZ the only track raced on for the last few decades going right handed is Alexandra Park!

The truth and reality of the matter is that punters are not being enticed to wager on Alexandra Park as the racing is pretty boring!

When the biggest city in NEW ZEALAND, Auckland on a Friday night and the only meeting on with comingled pools can only attract $6 to  $7k on the win and place pools, there is a major issue!!!!

Punters do not like the racing and currently there is no way that they are running at a profit!

Why do they race the wrong way around when every other harness track race left hand including all of the Ozzie harness metropolitan tracks???!

Auckland needs to do something to entice the punters or it is Doomed!

I think you make some good points, mate. I seldom bet at Auckland or watch races from them so I cannot speak with authority on Alexandra Park. I have been there quite a few times but that was last century. I haven't got an issue with right-handed way of going because I think most sensible well trained horses can handle racing either way.

But it seems to me racing has become boring at Alexandra Park as it seems to have a front-runners bias these days. Seldom do you see horses roaring home out wide these days. Back in the day that used to happen at Auckland. The only horse I can remember making ground wide is Majestic Cruiser in the Messenger but he is an exceptional horse.

I don't know if they have changed the track but nowadays there's a problem with the final bend and the entrance to the home straight it seems to me. It's hard to make ground wide out on the bend and a lot of horses shy at being angled into the passing lane for some reason. This doesn't happen at Addington, so I don't know what is different about Auckland passing lane? But it causes a problem because the horse instead of taking passing lane goes wide so runners behind have to be angled around it, by then the leading horse has a two length advantage and that's enough to hold to the line.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Davis said:

I don't know if they have changed the track but nowadays there's a problem with the final bend and the entrance to the home straight it seems to me. It's hard to make ground wide out on the bend and a lot of horses shy at being angled into the passing lane for some reason. This doesn't happen at Addington, so I don't know what is different about Auckland passing lane? But it causes a problem because the horse instead of taking passing lane goes wide so runners behind have to be angled around it, by then the leading horse has a two length advantage and that's enough to hold to the line.

There's definitely something about the bend that isn't right . Could be the Camber . Could be the angle not correct. Yeah . yeah.....So often you see horses a little wayward there. One example good trotter Majestic Man after trailing leader got off balance and wouldn't pass the Purdon runner in the 2019 Interdominion grand -final trot there on the inside. so can be costly in a big race at times.

I agree with Brodster would of been great to have the track left-handed. But costs make it impossible sadly these days. They changed Albion Park Brisbane from right to Left handed though. The Nz Cup winner Stanley Rio won the Interdominion Grand Final at Albion Park to complete his incredible 'double' going 'right handed'  for the win. For the Noble Family from Canterbury. The greatest Oz trotter Maori's Idol raced the Pacers here fight handed , and ran 2nd in a Group 1 final to Rip Van Winkle too. A great effort. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

16 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

There's definitely something about the bend that isn't right . Could be the Camber . Could be the angle not correct. Yeah . yeah.....So often you see horses a little wayward there. One example good trotter Majestic Man after trailing leader got off balance and wouldn't pass the Purdon runner in the 2019 Interdominion grand -final trot there on the inside. so can be costly in a big race at times.

I agree with Brodster would of been great to have the track left-handed. But costs make it impossible sadly these days. They changed Albion Park Brisbane from right to Left handed though. The Nz Cup winner Stanley Rio won the Interdominion Grand Final at Albion Park to complete his incredible 'double' going 'right handed'  for the win. For the Noble Family from Canterbury. The greatest Oz trotter Maori's Idol raced the Pacers here fight handed , and ran 2nd in a Group 1 final to Rip Van Winkle too. A great effort. 

Stanley Rio an underrated horse that doesn't get the recognition he should because his record is outstanding. Unfortunately, for him there were a lot of very good horses in his era to overshadow him.

• Like 2

On 29/07/2022 at 6:21 PM, Brodie said:

The racing at Alexandra Park is awful on the whole!

Why do they race right handed??!
What is the reason that they can not  race the correct way around with an alteration or two??

Surely if they can put a man on the moon and save thousands of lives from Covid death they could right what is wrong???

This would entice more owners and trainers to race at Auckland and improve the poor racing there!

The punters are abandoning wagering on Auckland in big numbers, and without them Auckland surely is not economical to race at with the stake money that is being paid out there?

Well it happened. That tinfoil hat has destroyed your brain completely. 

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 2

On 7/29/2022 at 6:21 PM, Brodie said:

On 7/29/2022 at 6:21 PM, Brodie said:

Stakes must be being subsidised by other clubs, Westport is one of the biggest turnover for the season on Boxing Day, maybe they are subsidising Auckland as their stakes are rather modest.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spatchcock said:

Well it happened. That tinfoil hat has destroyed your brain completely. 

Mr Cock, why do you say that?

Instead of coming on and being antagonistic, kindly contribute with the reason you say that if you are able?

Please explain  why Alexandra Park  is the only main track in Australasia that needs to race right handed?????

There is an issue with the track for horses racing on it so why can it not be amended to be consistent with the rest of Australasia ?

It is well known that a lot of horses have trouble racing at Auckland!!!!!!!

On 31/07/2022 at 7:36 PM, Brodie said:

Mr Cock, why do you say that?

Instead of coming on and being antagonistic, kindly contribute with the reason you say that if you are able?

Please explain  why Alexandra Park  is the only main track in Australasia that needs to race right handed?????

There is an issue with the track for horses racing on it so why can it not be amended to be consistent with the rest of Australasia ?

It is well known that a lot of horses have trouble racing at Auckland!!!!!!!

Actually, now that I think about it, you are right. 

The ATC should bowl over the three towers they have just built at the top half of the straight, taking 7 yesrs and plunging them 200+ million in debt. Close the supermarket and many businesses now paying rent. 

Build a new grandstand there instead. Re design and camber the track, move the stables and float bay, re measure everything etc etc etc

I can't believe I am even having to type this. 

I'm sure Westpac will loan them another $50m on top of the $100m they still owe. 

Edited by Spatchcock
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spatchcock said:

The ATC should bowl over the three towers they have just built at the top half of the straight, taking 7 yesrs and plunging them 200+ million in debt. Close the supermarket and many businesses now paying rent. 

Build a new grandstand there instead. Re design and camber the track, move the stables and float bay, re measure everything etc etc etc

I'm sure Westpac will loan them another $50m on top of the $100m they still owe. 

Easy as that.

2 hours ago, Spatchcock said:

SpatchCock, I do not live in Auckland and only been to Alexandra Park the once!

So why was the Alexandra Park track designed for horses to run righthanded??

Do t see the grandstand being an issue as how many people actually go to watch the racing there nkwadays, and Addington used to have a public grandstand halfway down the straight!

Surely wouldnt be that hard to alter the track as the current one doesnt work!

Remeasuring is hardly a difficult task!

Stables location hardly any issue!

As for getting more cash, could be an issue but defies any logic how they could lose money on development over the last decade!!
If Auckland dont attract more people to wager on their racing, the racing will be goneburger!

• Champ Post 1

23 hours ago, Brodie said:

SpatchCock, I do not live in Auckland and only been to Alexandra Park the once!

So why was the Alexandra Park track designed for horses to run righthanded??

Do t see the grandstand being an issue as how many people actually go to watch the racing there nkwadays, and Addington used to have a public grandstand halfway down the straight!

Surely wouldnt be that hard to alter the track as the current one doesnt work!

Remeasuring is hardly a difficult task!

Stables location hardly any issue!

As for getting more cash, could be an issue but defies any logic how they could lose money on development over the last decade!!
If Auckland dont attract more people to wager on their racing, the racing will be goneburger!

Something definitely needs to be done mate or it will be gone by the end of the decade. Could be too late to save already? 

1 hour ago, hunterthepunter said:

do think they last 10years janitor? im saying gone in less than 5years

I'm not sure HP, probably like the All Blacks if they continue with the present management crew and outdated ideas four or five years. 

I think it could be saved but it would need some innovative and forward thinking planning... not sure if that is around up there now?

27 minutes ago, the galah said:

In the last race,they ran the second last  800m in over 70 seconds,and still no one moved up. Was anyone apart from the winner trying?

Watching paint dry would have provided more excitement.

Haha funny as..... the trotter that broke and lost 150m after the start, caught up and then started pulling lol. so it broke again . what are the chances ??  Phoebe Majestic left it's run a it late I feel. could of won it. 

The leader driven by a junior who hasn't won a race yet. Derek Balle's daughter i imagine. quite a chilled driver too lol !! relaxing in the armchair, into a 70.5 second last 800m as you stated. Do they Fine maiden drivers ? used to get a slow quarter fine once. maybe she got 2 lol? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Haha funny as..... the trotter that broke and lost 150m after the start, caught up and then started pulling lol. so it broke again . what are the chances ??  Phoebe Majestic left it's run a it late I feel. could of won it. 

The leader driven by a junior who hasn't won a race yet. Derek Balle's daughter i imagine. quite a chilled driver too lol !! relaxing in the armchair, into a 70.5 second last 800m as you stated. Do they Fine maiden drivers ? used to get a slow quarter fine once. maybe she got 2 lol? 

No fines if they go slow. At least she gave it a chance i suppose.Either some of those drivers behind her had no idea they were going so slow,or if they did,then showed no judgment in not moving up.You don't see that in the south island thank goodness.

Just the way it is up there. Sad really.