Bit Of A Yarn

Westport- Such a rails dominated course.

Brodie

Didnt have a wager on Westport over the 2 days and watched many on my phone!

This track is such a front runners track it gives you basically no chance from the back.

But more so you have to stick to the fence as you save so much ground that anything on the fence has got so much of an advantage over those 2 out.

Even if you are in the one one and come out on the bend you lose plenty of ground on the ones on the inside.

Good punting to everyone at Mot tomorrow and will be a big crowd and meant to be over 30 degrees.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Didnt have a wager on Westport over the 2 days and watched many on my phone!

This track is such a front runners track it gives you basically no chance from the back.

But more so you have to stick to the fence as you save so much ground that anything on the fence has got so much of an advantage over those 2 out.

Even if you are in the one one and come out on the bend you lose plenty of ground on the ones on the inside.

Good punting to everyone at Mot tomorrow and will be a big crowd and meant to be over 30 degrees.

Westport not a punter friendly course my old mate. I don't bet there. As you say front runners track. The only time you will see them coming from the back is if it is a wet track. Then there is usually a firmer patch out wide on the track. Ian Cameron used to win a few at Westport in the wet coming down the outside. 

It will be hot at the MOT, mate. Another track that i don't bet often but I'm having a couple of dabbles tomorrow.

Good luck all

• Like 1

Friendly to me today, thought the 17s in tarukenga over the odds, Id like to know a few of the friendly grass tracks, couple good days racing, not as many on course today, but the norm for the second day, good luck to reefton looks like the same horses lining, been some very good horses start and win at Westport over the years, armalight our mana just a couple, also top trotter that won two dominions trained there if anyone can remember its name, I'm sure brodie will he's always on the money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Durbin Chief.

Well done, do you know his other claim to fame, certainly better fields at mot today, be interesting to see if the racing is leader dominated, do recall being there many years ago and watched a huge performance for top galloper, loader, he came from last that day.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Well done, do you know his other claim to fame, certainly better fields at mot today, be interesting to see if the racing is leader dominated, do recall being there many years ago and watched a huge performance for top galloper, loader, he came from last that day.

No, what was his other claim to fame?

Yes will be a far better day at Mot, where horses can come from the back.

Even had a bit of a go today on one!

36 minutes ago, Brodie said:

No, what was his other claim to fame?

No I think Mot will be more leader dominated as well if it is a rock hard surface. They only tend to come from the back when the grass is either longer or not firm.

Westport bias has become an issue. But bias is an issue at almost every track now. And it's largely because of the way races are being run. A lot quicker middle sections of races and our breeds are getting better at maintaining those speeds for longer. 

Biggest reason at Westport however this year was the quality of horse. Not enough depth and some very average horse flesh around which saw best horses get onto the speed and win frequently. 

Accommodation a real issue there this year. So many people still living in temporary lodging await flood repairs, insurance or new builds. 

But you're on the money, today at Mot a much better punting proposition. Good word around for the John Morrison trained Galleon's Ambassador. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davis said:

On the money, again 

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Hey ! he's Not on the money yet 😁 unless the Brodster Spills the Beans, on his little pick here.

I'm up for 40-1 today easy money,

for the easy Juniors drivers race with Ben Hope cruising in with BLUE ROCK DANCER being far too good for that lot , into the double with BlairO staring down a 'Mot Chrissy Cup' win today with AZOR AHAI .

what ya got for us on track there Brodie /Davis ?? and where's The Galah when I need him for a tip?

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

On the money again so far Brodie 🤣

Winners positions

Race 1 Trail

Race 2 Led all the way (Trail horse ran second)

Race 3 Led all the way

Race 4 One by One (Parked horse ran second)

Race 5 Three deep fence (trail horse ran second)

Race 6 Led all the way

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Counter Punch said:

Westport bias has become an issue. But bias is an issue at almost every track now. And it's largely because of the way races are being run. A lot quicker middle sections of races and our breeds are getting better at maintaining those speeds for longer. 

Biggest reason at Westport however this year was the quality of horse. Not enough depth and some very average horse flesh around which saw best horses get onto the speed and win frequently. 

Accommodation a real issue there this year. So many people still living in temporary lodging await flood repairs, insurance or new builds. 

But you're on the money, today at Mot a much better punting proposition. Good word around for the John Morrison trained Galleon's Ambassador. 

You probably find many are back in their homes by now, don't think the accommodation has a lot to do with it, more the travel cost and saturation point in harness meetings.

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Winners positions

Race 1 Trail

Race 3 Led all the way

Race 6 Led all the way

Was going to ask the question, so thanks for the update, and as someone pointed out, lead bias not just Westport, next question is there much of a crowd, didn't see many lining the fence, only seen the last race and again mostly front runners.

1 minute ago, Shad said:

Was going to ask the question, so thanks for the update, and as someone pointed out, lead bias not just Westport, next question is there much of a crowd, didn't see many lining the fence, only seen the last race and again mostly front runners.

Tents galore out here biggest crowd I have seen on track for a while. The cracking weather might have something to do with that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Biggest Winning margin in the Dominion Handicap ? (9 lengths) ...or is it something Durban Chief did in America.

download.jpg.d975ecbda69f89e2cfe84a0098ce08f1.jpg

First nz horse to win his first ever race in America, great photo, great chapter on him in the book unhoppled heroes, left New Zealand on a plane with a very good galloper called up n coming, and picked up a kangaroo on the way, think they stopped in Fuji and horses were not allowed off the plane, then an emergency stop when the galloper done his prunes on the trip, interesting old story, not many horses win two dominions, and he'd be one that's often forgotten. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Tents galore out here biggest crowd I have seen on track for a while. The cracking weather might have something to do with that.

Looked decent crowd lining the fence in that race, be interesting to see the turnover, Westport was down yesterday apparently. 

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Winners positions

Race 1 Trail

Race 3 Led all the way

Race 6 Led all the way

Hoses from the back are making ground in the straight not like Westport!

One good collect from the only investment over Xmas period so far, so more than happy  with The Mot!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Winners positions

Race 1 Trail

Race 3 Led all the way

Race 6 Led all the way

3 more sleeps and he can start again

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Hoses from the back are making ground in the straight not like Westport!

One good collect from the only investment over Xmas period so far, so more than happy  with The Mot!

Watch those hoses this weather, crickey only one bet,  you wont be increasing the harness turnover, I actually liked boys invasion, but was looking for 20s plus, especially off the unruly, the way he starts you'd think he start with em, guess I was to greedy.Methven used to be fair to all runners until they fiddled with the track, still a front runners course, not just the coast, but anyway according to some coast will be finished in 2 years, so we wont need to worry,A few more funds for the metropolitan clubs, where the racing is rather boring in my opinion, and buggar all attend and I for one wouldn't even bother, on another note how does funding get paid out to clubs one time it was a % of oncourse and ofcourse takings, is that all changed these days.

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Watch those hoses this weather, crickey only one bet,  you wont be increasing the harness turnover, I actually liked boys invasion, but was looking for 20s plus, especially off the unruly, the way he starts you'd think he start with em, guess I was to greedy.Methven used to be fair to all runners until they fiddled with the track, still a front runners course, not just the coast, but anyway according to some coast will be finished in 2 years, so we wont need to worry,A few more funds for the metropolitan clubs, where the racing is rather boring in my opinion, and buggar all attend and I for one wouldn't even bother, on another note how does funding get paid out to clubs one time it was a % of oncourse and ofcourse takings, is that all changed these days.

They do not want to increase turnover Shad!

It seems to be all about yield and that is why the NZ TAB is faltering.

If they let me on, I could increase their turnover significantly but they dont want my $ and they treat me as a money launderer.

Unless they change their policies the NZ TAB is going to decline.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

If they let me on, I could increase their turnover significantly but they dont want my $ and they treat me as a money launderer.

, The days of looking after the customer long gone.

• Champ Post 1

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

The tab think they are being clever by restricting certain punters and coming up with their algorithms that reduce the fixed odds prices,depending on who is doing the betting.

But if they are that clever, when they reduce the ff dividend by between 15-25% a couple of times on a horse certain punters have placed as little as a couple of $20 bets.the then result of doing so is that leads to the said horse being noticed as a win mover,which then leads to more punters betting on that horse. The exact thing the so called clever bookies are trying to stop. Anyone with any sense you would think would set their markets based on the money they hold for each runner,but thats not how they do it.

I know for a fact that they have algorithms set up to react to bets placed on certain peoples tab accounts.

Win odds are slashed even when only place bets are placed.

Like i have said,all the tab achieve is to attract those that bet based on the win movers,and there are many,and the tab get more bet on the horses they don't want them to bet on.

Also if you observe the tote prices,even blind freddy could see people factor in the win movers when betting on the tote and therefore,a horse that has been a win mover on ff nearly always becomes a tote mover as well. So thats not a problem for the tab bookies,but does it help total tote turnover. I would say yes. For example i know for a fact that certain punters no longer bother betting as much on the tote and it significantly impacts the spend of those effected.i know of someone who estimated on one account the revenue the tab had recieved would have dropped by around $100,000 just in 12 months. Thats not spend,thats the tab take of the spend i'm talkng about. And that person is not the only one saying that.

So if they the tab is that clever,how come they actively have policies in place which result in significant reduction in turnover from some big spenders.

Anyone who doesn't believe what i say simply doesn't know how the tab work.

Edited by the galah