Bit Of A Yarn

Police Raid Stables?? Oh Dear

Newmarket

1 hour ago, hesi said:

I don't think it is an offense for one licensed person to send another licensed person a text arranging 'driving tactics'(could be wrong), unless it can be proved that it actually happened in a race, and this was supported by wagering evidence

I agree with you and people in the industry would accept this goes on

but the general public would see this as a massive rort

46 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Well, for a start you could say that once you start texting driving tactics, one or more doing the texting, is obviously not giving their horse the best possible chance to win. 

what if their horse was no chance to win anyways and the tactic allowed it to place

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Be careful guys you are starting to talk in the context that they have been found guilty as charged.  Long way to go yet.  

Could be some interesting juries to be on!

I'm just relating this to the Lisa Cropp case, where because she kept appealing, she was allowed to keep her license and keep on riding.

This was because the rules did not allow NZTR to suspend her.  They were subsequently amended, to allow NZTR to suspend a license holder while proceedings were happening

I'm just asking the question as to whether the HRNZ rules also give them the power to suspend licenses while proceedings are underway, or whether they must wait till the outcome of any court case, including appeals

If you recall, Cropp dragged it on for 4 years through appeal after appeal, made a monkey of NZTR, and they could not do anything,  is the same thing going to happen here

Edited by hesi

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Yes, 2 best horses clear out, but runner up should have won. 

You can clearly see blair looking back for runner early on, which is not a good look, and i say the biggest look i have ever seen. 

Then entering straight just over lap to go, looks again, takes hold of leader to allow other horse easy lead, dictates last lap, sprints to win. 

Now, very few would give the lead away a lap from home on that track would they, it makes little sense. Blair drove so many winners on the circuit, most from the front. 

I hope that he doesnt get charged, hope that there is no substance to it, but nothing surprises me. 

I disagree Newmarket.  Leading drivers always look around to see who is where especially good ones.  So he handed up to the favourite and got a trail for a lap and there was a passing lane.  The  favourite who won was 1/2 in the betting the second favourite was 2/1.  They were lengths better than the rest.  What was the last 400m run in?

They'd be hard pressed to prove match fixing on the video alone.

Let's face it the RIU advising the Police on how to read a race reminds me of the blind leading the blind.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

A prominent Canterbury trainer had not turned up at his stables by 12.30 this afternoon. This is highly unusual, according to someone else based there. His horses have not been worked or fed and his phone was off. Police have not been to the stable.

WTF

Edited by Rangatira

28 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I disagree Newmarket.  Leading drivers always look around to see who is where especially good ones.  So he handed up to the favourite and got a trail for a lap and there was a passing lane.  The  favourite who won was 1/2 in the betting the second favourite was 2/1.  They were lengths better than the rest.  What was the last 400m run in?

They'd be hard pressed to prove match fixing on the video alone.

Let's face it the RIU advising the Police on how to read a race reminds me of the blind leading the blind.

Yes, if i had bet on that race initially and watched the race, i would say Blair should have kept the front rather than take a trail. Its a shitty track, most races are won from the front, in fact i would be surprised if you could find a race where Blair gave lead away a lap out on that track. But would have given him benefit of the doubt. 

But now, throw in the pot the names mentioned yesterday  and the word race fixing, makes this a race to look at. 

Lets face it, for them to be charged after 17 months, tells us the police have the info. 

By the way, if a driver did have a rival at the back of the field, why slow down to allow him to take lead? Surely, with your main rival out back, run them along, and he is home

• Champ Post 1

9 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

A prominent Canterbury trainer had not turned up at his stables by 12.30 this afternoon. This is highly unusual, according to someone else based there. His horses have not been worked or fed and his phone was off. Police have not been to the stable.

WTF

Hope all is well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

BREAKING: Four people have been arrested today, including two prominent Canterbury harness trainers. Range of charges include match fixing, supplying drugs and a weapons charge.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but is "match" fixing and "race" fixing one and the same, or have they made an error in the charge description?

3 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but is "match" fixing and "race" fixing one and the same, or have they made an error in the charge description?

I think "match fixing" might be a legal term used in the Act that the charges derive from.

The key in this whole debacle is if the alleged crimes were committed who blinks first?  That is who first pleads guilty under a plea bargain.

Perhaps the TAB should open a book on it!  

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

I think "match fixing" might be a legal term used in the Act that the charges derive from.

The key in this whole debacle is if the alleged crimes were committed who blinks first?  That is who first pleads guilty under a plea bargain.

the fact those charged are not allowed on a racecourse for the time being is going to make for some high pressure decisions