Bit Of A Yarn

Police Raid Stables?? Oh Dear

Newmarket

Is all this really surprising, many on both sites have commented on poor drives, alleged tactics, for a long time, nothing ever done or reported, some shunned by others posters, sometimes we put these top professional athletes on a pedestal, but at the end of they day they are only human. Guess it will all come out in the wash, whoever, whatever has gone on.

• Like 2

personally I have reviewed tapes of every harness race in Nz this year.Just trying to make a dollar. My view of Blair orange is that I have never doubted he was  always trying to win.  Obviously the dexter Dunn drive on Eamon McGuire at fotbuty was questionable, however he too in my opinion tries each time.    Will be interesting to see what transpires . One assumes the investigation  involves some type of kick backs or money invested on behalf of, both illegal activity.                 I must say i initially thought this inquiry may relate to horses being given something to improve performances.but obviously not this time.       Also in my opinion the hardest place to predict drivers tactics is at manawatu where many,many times I have wondered about driving tactics of several families.   That just my opinion.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, the galah said:

personally I have reviewed tapes of every harness race in Nz this year.Just trying to make a dollar. My view of Blair orange is that I have never doubted he was  always trying to win.  Obviously the dexter Dunn drive on Eamon McGuire at fotbuty was questionable, however he too in my opinion tries each time.    Will be interesting to see what transpires . One assumes the investigation  involves some type of kick backs or money invested on behalf of, both illegal activity.                 I must say i initially thought this inquiry may relate to horses being given something to improve performances.but obviously not this time.       Also in my opinion the hardest place to predict drivers tactics is at manawatu where many,many times I have wondered about driving tactics of several families.   That just my opinion.

I must admit watching Blair orange he seems to try hard, I would have to say Dex doesn't put them into a race like he used to, I put that down to been there done that going through the motions.

• Like 1

I am very much an amateur observer when it comes to this code.  But I have watched harness races on TV and at the track where the tactics have beggared my belief.

One time on-course there were 2 drivers who were clearly "connected". I watched as one would go to the front - a good horse would come up outside him and the front runner would go like hell in a speed duel to keep him out- ruining his own chances.  Subsequently the leader's connected driver would come up outside him and the leader would obediently hand up at the perfect time and his "mate" would go on to win.

If it happened once I might have been able to talk myself out of any conspiracy theory.  But when I saw a similar pattern in several races, involving the same 2 drivers, I was struggling to put it down to coincidence or a series of honest explanations.  When I expressed my observations my more learned mate shrugged and said "oh team driving - yeah - that lot do it quite a bit"     

Edited by jess
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12119404

Seven people have been charged in relation to Operation Inca — an investigation into alleged race-fixing in the harness racing industry.

A 26-year-old man is due to appear in Christchurch District Court today on charges of deception by match-fixing, possessing Class B drugs for supply, and supplying Class B drugs.

Four men, aged 34, 40, 41 and 44, are due to appear in Christchurch District Court next week on match-fixing charges.

A 41-year-old woman was also due to appear the same day on two counts of supplying Class B drugs.

A 27-year-old man has been charged with deception by match-fixing and is due to appear in Palmerston North District Court next week.

The charges follow raids at 10 stables yesterday in Canterbury, Manawatu and Invercargill.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jess said:

Oh and just a quick post script ... it piqued my interest so I looked up the stewards' report later on ...... not a problem apparently.  Must've imagined it ....

No Jess it happens alot as you say, not sure if they still do it in American thoroughbred racing but they used to couple up stable runners for betting purposes on the tote no matter if one was odds on and the other was 40-1 and I'm sure you weren't allowed more than 2 from one stable in a race.  That was the one annoying thing I found in the top English races, a big stable like Godolphin were allowed to run a pacemaker so their top horse got the tempo it needed.

Just now, Newmarket said:

Well, 

I have just been informed, from a very  reliable source, that once this all comes out, the net will widen. Huge, huge, huge, we will all be surprised by outcome. 

well the waterhouses did get charged with having prior knowledge so anything is possible

everytime i bet i think i have prior knowledge

• Haha 1

There is nothing new here, race fixing in the trotting code has happened since harness began. I remember reading a book by a well known identity in the code, name eludes me, came from the Waikato area about taking harness racing to England in the 50's 60's. They managed to establish it in Wales. Just about every race was fixed, and that is what sunk it there.

19 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Seven people have been charged in relation to Operation Inca — an investigation into alleged race-fixing in the harness racing industry.

A 26-year-old man is due to appear in Christchurch District Court today on charges of deception by match-fixing, possessing Class B drugs for supply, and supplying Class B drugs.

Four men, aged 34, 40, 41 and 44, are due to appear in Christchurch District Court next week on match-fixing charges.

A 41-year-old woman was also due to appear the same day on two counts of supplying Class B drugs.

A 27-year-old man has been charged with deception by match-fixing and is due to appear in Palmerston North District Court next week.

The charges follow raids at 10 stables yesterday in Canterbury, Manawatu and Invercargill.

41 y o woman-----same age as Natalie R  ?

52 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

The “27yo” man in Palmerston North is actually 47 years old. Police confirm an error at their end and will be adjusting their release shortly.