Bit Of A Yarn

Police Raid Stables?? Oh Dear

Newmarket

Dear Police, 

On Friday 9th June 2017 i placed some bets with the TAB. I was lucky enough that i picked up a slice of the Quad, paid $1200 from memory. Was happy, until i find that 3 horses, from the same stable, that ALL won, were later disqualified!!! I would have still got that quad, it would have paid heaps on the new results, but sadly, somebody cheated!! 

Please check betting records on this day, see who was in on the rort, im sure you will find the answers if you look hard enough. Give me confidence. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sir Galivant said:

I feel for all the owners,trainers,drivers and members of the harness racing world who work hard , do everything by the book and are going to suffer  by greed, and once again the punters are ripped .... imagine all horses who ran second or worse because of fixed races !!!!!

Has anyone been charged yet?  Or found guilty?  

If you look at the big picture, things might come in to a better focus.

Less than a week later than the report was released, first a finding turns up on the JCA website about a greyhound trainers guilt to animal welfare charges. Then today police raids of harness stables.

Are these two fact the reason the report only focused on the gallop code?

With time, the harness code may be able to overcome this, but by the time it does will there be any tracks to race on?

Can a greyhound be taught to herd a standardbred?

I hope so, because it might be the only way forward for the two of them.

Edited by Yankiwi

1 hour ago, Sir Galivant said:

I feel for all the owners,trainers,drivers and members of the harness racing world who work hard , do everything by the book and are going to suffer  by greed, and once again the punters are ripped .... imagine all horses who ran second or worse because of fixed races !!!!!

Precisely why I never understood the Canterbury harness fraternity raising funds for the defence of the blue magic cheats "last time" ... It was those cheats who took the money from the pockets of the decent industry people & honest battlers.

A niggling voice in my head said maybe it was because so many were cheating and it was a case of "there but for the grace go I" - and the donors thought they were just lucky it wasn't them who'd been caught so they should support their mates.

I hope that wasn't the case.  I hope it was just some sort of kind but  misplaced loyalty .... 

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Blair has been arrested and charged,And word on the street is that your trainer not looking good Pete,

Mark P hasn't been spoken too even though they were at his stable and Nat has been spoken too but no charges laid but investigations are continuing

John and Dexter along with 2 other Canterbury stables are still under investigation

haha your trainer not looking good Richie have you not heard??

Lots of water to go under the bridge before anything is proven. 

I do see some names familiar from past dishonesty featuring on the early press however. 

And I will be watching with interest, the sentences given to anyone who has previously been found to have cheated.   

I certainly hope it would be more life-ban than wet bus ticket .....

• Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, jess said:

I do see some names familiar from past dishonesty featuring on the early press however. 

And I will be watching with interest, the sentences given to anyone who has previously been found to have cheated.   

If criminal charges are laid (and are proven) surely life bans for corrupt practice must follow ....

9 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

9 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

No sorry Pete haven't caught up with news last couple hours,been busy getting interviewed from police 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Has anyone been charged yet?  Or found guilty?  

while u make this valid point ..... i hardly think that with 18 months of investigating the riu or the police would not take it this far without there being some truth behind it.

I  was only making a personal observation and no way accused anybody in my original statement.

3 minutes ago, jess said:

Even so it has been a bit of a surreal announcement and as such it could be all wind.  We all know the expertise of the RIU in these matters.  Maybe the betting pattern chap is trying to justify his role?

2 minutes ago, Sir Galivant said:

while u make this valid point ..... i hardly think that with 18 months of investigating the riu or the police would not take it this far without there being some truth behind it.

I  was only making a personal observation and no way accused anybody in my original statement.

But do the Police really have much expertise in harness racing?  Is the evidence coming from the RIU?  One statement by the Police refers to "allegations" of doping and to contact them if anyone has any more information.  Hardly sounds convincing.  Also I see the Dunn's stable has been visited - I imagine the little bush lawyer relation is on the case with that visit.  Remember they talked conspiracy when Dunn got charged.

11 minutes ago, jess said:

this would be a different sort of cheating and likely to be treated as a first offence jess

3 minutes ago, Boxie said:

Even so it has been a bit of a surreal announcement and as such it could be all wind.  

Yeah you're probably right.  There'll be a headline tomorrow & a joint press statement from RIU and NZ Police saying something along the lines of .....Just kidding - nothing to see here - just a bit of fun - as you were folks.... ?  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rangatira said:

this would be a different sort of cheating and likely to be treated as a first offence jess

Ah ok .  A bit like a criminal whose stock in trade is aggravated robberies - then he rapes someone - so he should be treated as a first-time offender? 

I certainly hope you are wrong ....

• Like 1