Bit Of A Yarn

You are kidding? 12k on Wainui Creek!

Brodie

18 hours ago, Brodie said:

Ranga, then why is the policy $1k then, when the AML act says $10k????

Punters are being turned off Ranga, as the tote div payouts aren’t getting smaller and smaller.

if i have a $50  bet and manage to win $1200 how is that money laundering ...if i placed a bet of $5,000 then sure ask the question...this stupid rule has nothing to do with someone who manages to jag a win ...why should have to prove to your organisation who i am...change this invasive rule to those placing bets in large amounts..

1. Voice of reason

We 100% agree with your comments. This “rule” resulted from government Anti-Money Laundering (AML) changes that came into effect on 1 August and not from TAB policy or the like. We lobbied hard for the limit to be higher - ideally more closely aligned with Australia however we weren’t successful at the time. We can assure you that we are actively working with the Ministers Office and also the Department of Internal Affairs, who oversee these matters, to encourage change. In the interim, it’s really important we’re very clear with punters about what is required, particularly as we come up to the Spring Carnival, so we’ll be working hard to get the message out. 

Rita

For your eyes only Brodie

Greg

?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

if i have a $50  bet and manage to win $1200 how is that money laundering ...if i placed a bet of $5,000 then sure ask the question...this stupid rule has nothing to do with someone who manages to jag a win ...why should have to prove to your organisation who i am...change this invasive rule to those placing bets in large amounts..

1. Voice of reason

We 100% agree with your comments. This “rule” resulted from government Anti-Money Laundering (AML) changes that came into effect on 1 August and not from TAB policy or the like. We lobbied hard for the limit to be higher - ideally more closely aligned with Australia however we weren’t successful at the time. We can assure you that we are actively working with the Ministers Office and also the Department of Internal Affairs, who oversee these matters, to encourage change. In the interim, it’s really important we’re very clear with punters about what is required, particularly as we come up to the Spring Carnival, so we’ll be working hard to get the message out. 

Rita

Greg

?

JJ, thanks for that.

Just shows the intelligence of many of people who are in Government offices and are being paid big salaries.

Hopefully common sense will prevail as it is going to be hopeless at the big race days if they implement it!

Can you also enquire from RITA if they have any intention of making the NZ TAB accept fixed odds bets for a reasonable amount from all punters?

Does RITA accept that punters should be treated unequally?

If the TAB were not accepting bets from dark skinned people that would be illegal!

If the TAB were not accepting bets from punters that were a certain religion that would be illegal!

If the TAB were not accepting bets from people that were over 80 that would be illegal!

So ask them what gives them the right to not accept bets from people who they do not want to?

How is this legal without breaching human rights?

Edited by Brodie
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

JJ, thanks for that.

Just shows the intelligence of many of people who are in Government offices and are being paid big salaries.

Hopefully common sense will prevail as it is going to be hopeless at the big race days if they implement it!

Can you also enquire from RITA if they have any intention of making the NZ TAB accept fixed odds bets for a reasonable amount from all punters?

If the TAB were not accepting bets from dark skinned people that would be illegal!

If the TAB were not accepting bets from punters that were a certain religion that would be illegal!

If the TAB were not accepting bets from people that were over 80 that would be illegal!

So ask them what gives them the right to not accept bets from people who they do not want to?

how far away is your human rights case

no matter what don't accept Justice Peter Churchman as your judge

Edited by Rangatira

20 hours ago, Brodie said:

JJ, thanks for that.

Morning  Brodie,

With respect to your questions above i think it would be smarter for you to direct those questions to the RITA board directly. The chair answered the earlier question on Channel X along with many other questions . Perhaps you should trawl through those Q and As to see if they address your issues.

Greg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

1. Voice of reason

Rita

Greg

?

That's just a load of BS and I guess the gullible sycophants swallow it.  It is all about how the the TAB interprets the law and their application.  They took a highly risk averse soft position rather than "lobbying hard."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's just a load of BS

Totally agree. Here is the definition of Money laundering.

It is the illegal process of concealing the origins of money (usually huge amounts ) obtained illegally by passing it through a complex sequence of banking transfers or commercial transactions ( TAB ???? f--k off). The overall scheme of this process" returns "( the operative word here) the money to the launderer in an obscure and indirect way. If i had made obscene amounts of money through drug deals or the like, would I then pass it through a TAB which is hardly a complex masking agent for laundered money.  It would take a complete moron to think it was an obscure and indirect way of obtaining the money back, coupled with the fact of potentially losing it.

In the real world it doesn't happen. The TAB,s decision makers should be lined up against  a wall and shot, if they think joe public are that thick.

• Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Totally agree. Here is the definition of Money laundering.

It is the illegal process of concealing the origins of money (usually huge amounts ) obtained illegally by passing it through a complex sequence of banking transfers or commercial transactions ( TAB ???? f--k off). The overall scheme of this process" returns "( the operative word here) the money to the launderer in an obscure and indirect way. If i had made obscene amounts of money through drug deals or the like, would I then pass it through a TAB which is hardly a complex masking agent for laundered money.  It would take a complete moron to think it was an obscure and indirect way of obtaining the money back, coupled with the fact of potentially losing it.

In the real world it doesn't happen. The TAB,s decision makers should be lined up against  a wall and shot, if they think joe public are that thick.

Exactly and what changed to the legislation in August?  Stuff all.  The trigger amount didn't change i.e. $10,000 and that figure has been in effect since AML was first introduced.  The $1,000 trigger only applies to INTERNATIONAL transactions!!!!!

Follows is an extract from the Justice website on what the NZRB/TAB needed to do to comply.  In my opinion what was requested doesn't align with what has been implemented i.e. the TAB has implemented overkill!

What does the Board have to do to comply with the AML/CFT Act?

Initially, you’ll have to:

• designate someone in your business as an AML/CFT compliance officer
  • assess and document the money laundering and terrorism financing risks your business may face
  • establish an AML/CFT compliance programme setting out how you’ll detect and manage these risks.

On an ongoing basis, you’ll have to:

• verify the identity of customers before providing any service covered by the AML/CFT Act. In some circumstances (such as if they represent a company or trust), you may also need to ask for information about where money came from and the other people involved. For more information about verifying customers’ identities, see:
    Information for customers about anti-money laundering laws
  • submit a Prescribed Transaction Report to the Police Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) if a client wants to conduct a transaction in cash that is $10,000 or more, or an international wire transfer of $1000 or more
  • monitor customers’ accounts to identify potential warning signs of money laundering and terrorism financing. You must report any suspicious transactions or activity to the FIU. For more information, see:
    Reporting suspicious activities
  • regularly review your risk assessment and compliance programme
  • have your risk assessment and compliance programme audited regularly
  • submit an annual report to the Department of Internal Affairs, which will supervise your sector.

One possible way that you could launder cash through the TAB is to bet large cash amounts on favourites and gamble on getting a consistent % return.  Another would be to bet equal cash amounts on every horse in a race knowing that you will get a % return.  You could get more sophisticated by changing the amounts relative to horse odds and increase you return but still suffer a loss.  However to make the effort worthwhile you would have to be consistently depositing large cash amounts or betting large cash amounts.

In the old days when there were separate windows for large denomination betting e.g. $10 and $50 dollar windows often a shark would be waiting in the queue and would purchase your winning tickets plus 10% and then use the winning tickets to get a TAB cheque.  Would be harder to do that today.

Another way would be to deposit many smaller cash amounts into an account, wait then withdraw an accumulated amount however I understand that this is prevented by turnover rules i.e. you can only take out winnings from bets not use your account like a bank.  Which then takes you back to the first option.

It isn't like Pokies where you can organise a group of people to pump money through them knowing that there is a high return rate.

Chief, you and Globe are correct, and anyone with half a brain will know that the reason for the $1000 limit has nothing at all to do with the Anti Money Laundering Act!!!!

It is that the TAB wants total control over punters which they now have.

They accept bets from losing punters and if you are a more astute punter they just won’t  Let them win, and they will do anything to stop them.

Then they wonder why turnover is dropping off!

Have you also noted how short the tote dividends are now and most of the time it just isn’t worth betting on the tote.

The NZ TAB wouldn’t care if harness racing disappeared as they rely on sports betting nowadays to pay the salaries of the overpaid execs!!!

Edited by Brodie

15 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Look what I spotted yesterday when I looked over the fence into Brodie's back section.

Maybe his "restriction" is just a smoke screen to cover up his true profession. Could he be the person tasked with washing the Meth off of all the $20 notes? :)

Money laundering happens in New Zealand, but it is a global phenomenon.

I have warned you previously about looking over my fence!

Would not think true money launderers would be bothered with $20 notes!

I see someone in  Auckland has been fined $4 million today for money laundering sending money overseas, something like over 5 thousand transactions.

News for the NZ TAB, it is not NZ punters that are winning 1k or wanting to put on 1k that are money launderers!

Sooner they come out and tell us why they brought in the pathetic 1k limit the better, however they won’t because they aren’t exactly honest nowadays.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 4

On 14/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, Yankiwi said:

Look what I spotted yesterday when I looked over the fence into Brodie's back section.

Maybe his "restriction" is just a smoke screen to cover up his true profession. Could he be the person tasked with washing the Meth off of all the $20 notes? :)

Money laundering happens in New Zealand, but it is a global phenomenon.

shore you were not looking over the Riu fence or jca fence

• Haha 2