Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Cup?

Newmarket

Wow, what a bunch of donkeys this race has attracted last few years? Who wins it on Saturday, Felaar looked like a weak mule, losing ground on the first 3 last 50m, mind you mouthy owner will probably say it was unlucky? 
Dee and gee, went really well, but maybe fresh runners in saturdays race will be ones to back, but gee fields getting crap.

• Like 1

QUIET you mean Fish?

Poor Opee even got asked the question 3 starts back about his soft cock ride...

...it's been the quietest lead up of all time and it's a wonder Vella puts up with being associated with such a 'quiet' fellow owner...

...who insists on being 'quiet' if you know what I mean?

10 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

I though Felaar looked like it was having a quite run!

ps. lol Newmarket! I see you don't believe in the old dictum "don't badmouth a horse because of its owner" 

Ha, feel a little sorry for horse. Been pumped up all its life, but just a horse. Surely for the horse to be a winning chance sat, you would like to see it running on, instead of peaking last start. 

11 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Ha, feel a little sorry for horse. Been pumped up all its life, but just a horse. Surely for the horse to be a winning chance sat, you would like to see it running on, instead of peaking last start. 

You could be right! for what it's worth! 99% of my betting doesn't happen to I get to see the horse on the day! :)

I'm pondering around the idea with BM back in the country! he might be able to work some magic with said horse!

On 10/11/2019 at 9:13 PM, Newmarket said:

Wow, what a bunch of donkeys this race has attracted last few years? Who wins it on Saturday, Felaar looked like a weak mule, losing ground on the first 3 last 50m, mind you mouthy owner will probably say it was unlucky? 
Dee and gee, went really well, but maybe fresh runners in saturdays race will be ones to back, but gee fields getting crap.

As expected, another poor effort by Felaar. Dee and gee outstayed them, thats for sure. 
Bloody terrible field it was

• Like 1

Been some great horses running in the nz cup in years gone by. Was there when Karaoke beat Prince Haze and Castletown??? Wow compare those horses to now. 
Maybe they need to look at the race, it only attracts the 2nd rate stayers in nz, and to be honest, the 1st rate ones are average. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

Described all day by an over excited caller as “The GREAT RACE”

Yes, Cross sounds like a drunk in a midnight choir and when you've got the likes of O'Connor and co blowing his trumpet it doesn't bode well for racing's shop window.

The ponies that ran in "the not so great race" today wouldn't have made a highweight field at Riccarton 40 years ago, disgraceful !

10 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Been some great horses running in the nz cup in years gone by. Was there when Karaoke beat Prince Haze and Castletown??? Wow compare those horses to now. 
Maybe they need to look at the race, it only attracts the 2nd rate stayers in nz, and to be honest, the 1st rate ones are average. 

Taking a line through Felaars form in Oz would have to agree.

I always get a chuckle out of all the moaners about this race, when most of you probably don't own a horse. 

What do you expect this field to be, The same as the Melbourne Cup for 5% of the prizemoney? There are so many opportunities for good horses these days especially in Australia couple that with the importation of stayers from Europe, tell me why you expect this field to compare to your version of the glory days? 

I enjoyed the race yesterday and the winner has shown plenty of form over a trip and some battlers with a great story had a good day yesterday and that's what makes this the greatest game of all! 

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I always get a chuckle out of all the moaners about this race, when most of you probably don't own a horse. 

What do you expect this field to be, The same as the Melbourne Cup for 5% of the prizemoney? There are so many opportunities for good horses these days especially in Australia couple that with the importation of stayers from Europe, tell me why you expect this field to compare to your version of the glory days? 

I enjoyed the race yesterday and the winner has shown plenty of form over a trip and some battlers with a great story had a good day yesterday and that's what makes this the greatest game of all! 

But hang on. Its cup week, we have the best harness horses we have in nz, plus several from aussie, where the winner of the race came from. They are the best horses in nz. 

Then we have the nz galloping cup? It attracts no horses from aus this year, and several better stayers in nz didnt even bother to run in it??? 

For mine, maybe it needs a name change, NZ galloping cup seems too good for it. 
Maybe Christchurch Galloping Cup far better name, 

Days of the our stayers long gone, all the races over the longer trips just seem to be sit and sprint affairs, never any true pace set, enjoyed yesterday's race and the story behind the winner, have had a interest in one that started in the cup not so long ago, and to be fair was very exciting, I wasn't to worried about the caliber of the field, one never forgets these occasions, no matter where you  finish.Now have a wee interest in a 5yr old bred to stay, and hopefully we can get to the races one day, he has a very patient owners.

• Like 1

It's o k , the time of year perhaps unsuitable with changing track conditions making it hard to have  suitable lead up racing. Those who comment about the strength of the field should find their own [better] horse and reap the rewards.

I enjoyed the day recently with a rating 62 mare picking up some money !

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

But still rain affected,  still a walk and sprint  - and a vastly superior lot of horses over the ditch.

Pointless discussion,  the days of fast times in 2 mile races seem to be long gone -  except in Japan.

It is what it is, its in direct competition to the Melbourne Cup and always has been, one could speculate that The Chosen One should have cantered around back here instead of wasting his time, but the bottom line is the dramatic drop off in both numbers and overall quality of horses racing here.

I would be surprised if either the Wellington or Auckland Cups are any more  noteworthy....but all kudos with the winners , it would be hard to find a more worthy victor.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 3

Yes both cups slowly run. Which means times of the race can't be used to assess quality of competitors. Jockeys dictate pace. Many seem happy to allow these things to happen. NZ racing is moving more like Australian racing. An influence of speed and few wanting to be patient for a staying horse. 

You only need to look at the ratios of sprinting to staying races here and in Oz compared to say the UK/France.

I agree with Freda, The Auckland/Wellington cups will be similar and have been similar for years now.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

You only need to look at the ratios of sprinting to staying races here and in Oz compared to say the UK/France.

Then take a look at the $$$ on offer for the sprinter-milers cf the (poorer) money for the staying types - the Derby and Oaks are the only exceptions.

• Karaka Million for 2yo - sprint (rightly so). Karaka Million for 3yo -mile
  • No million dollar race in that series for 2000-2400 horse. Which begs the question: why don't they add more $$ to the ($100k) Karaka Stayers Cup?
Edited by Weasel
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Weasel said:
  • No million dollar race in that series for 2000-2400 horse. Which begs the question: why don't they add more $$ to the ($100k) Karaka Stayers Cup?

It won't make any difference increasing stakes.  The horse population is no longer there.  Note the decline in quality in our Open Handicappers across ALL distances.  Note the decline in quality in our non age group Group Races even when they still have comparatively good stakes.

It amazes me how we debate on BOAY the quality of a race, how to punt properly, the merits of various horses versus others and so on.  However how many of you have noted that again the NZRB aka RITA has soaked up another $24m in reserves to keep stakes at their current levels plus using Pokie money.

There is less than one year of reserves left and from what I can see no improvement in revenue collected.  The day of reckoning is very very close and I'm afraid I can't see this Government giving a handout to help.