Bit Of A Yarn

Ultimate Sniper -v- Cruz Bromac

CRUZ BROMAC - raced three wide early and middle stages before crossing to race outside the leader passing the 800 metres. Driver M Purdon was questioned regarding his decision to surrender the parked position near the 600 metres to the improving ULTIMATE SNIPER. After hearing initial evidence from Mr Purdon and viewing the replays the investigation was adjourned to enable Stewards to give the matter further consideration.

Who hands up the parked position at the 600 metre stage when everything is sprinting for home?  Missed the win by a head ..... the excuse will be interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

CRUZ BROMAC - raced three wide early and middle stages before crossing to race outside the leader passing the 800 metres. Driver M Purdon was questioned regarding his decision to surrender the parked position near the 600 metres to the improving ULTIMATE SNIPER. After hearing initial evidence from Mr Purdon and viewing the replays the investigation was adjourned to enable Stewards to give the matter further consideration.

Who hands up the parked position at the 600 metre stage when everything is sprinting for home?  Missed the win by a head ..... the excuse will be interesting.

Fully agree, stuck out like dogs balls, stipes need to act as this is what all stars continually do, but a blind eye is always turned on their team driving.....no driver would have given up that position so close to the finish, they would have left their biggest rival shanghaied out wide......they know they always get away with it, so have become more blatant.

52 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Fully agree, stuck out like dogs balls, stipes need to act as this is what all stars continually do, but a blind eye is always turned on their team driving.....no driver would have given up that position so close to the finish, they would have left their biggest rival shanghaied out wide......they know they always get away with it, so have become more blatant.

If he gets any penalty for that then I will be gobsmacked. I have seen similar drives dozens of times with no punishments or fines. You know the story with the stipes any excuse will do. He will just say the horse is better driven with a sit and coming with one run etc and that will be the end of it. 

• Like 2

If he gets any penalty for that then I will be gobsmacked

..they know they always get away with it, so have become more blatant.

I have to say you guys are Wrong in criticising Mark's Drive.

It was near PERFECT, coming from last and an absolute Crap barrier , circling the field, 27.4 backstraight quarter (forced by Triple Eight going for it too early) you should criticise that drive. And smart enough to take a sit on Nat for a breather around the last bend. Rallied strongly in the home straight to just miss victory. Fantastic Effort and Fantastic drive . 10/10 from me. (as a former race driver)

9 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

It was near PERFECT, coming from last and an absolute Crap barrier , circling the field, 27.4 backstraight quarter (forced by Triple Eight going for it too early) you should criticise that drive. And smart enough to take a sit on Nat for a breather around the last bend. Rallied strongly in the home straight to just miss victory. Fantastic Effort and Fantastic drive . 10/10 from me. (as a former race driver)

We'll have to agree to disagree gammalite, I don't believe you would ever see a top Aussie driver give away that position of keeping his main rival out wide and stagnate his own momentum 600 from home (especially not gammalites driver)...... but that cruz bromac is one tough horse and likely final winner.

We'll have to agree to disagree gammalite, I don't believe you would ever see a top Aussie driver give away that position of keeping his main rival out wide and stagnate his own momentum 600 from home (especially not gammalites driver)...... but that cruz bromac is one tough horse and likely final winner.

No the top Aussie drivers aren't as good as Mark.

A very smart decision to follow your main rival around the last bend in my opinion. It nearly carted him to victory.

Granted to what you say,  if it was a weaker runner that comes back in your face turning for home, not so good to give up position at 600.

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

A very smart decision to follow your main rival around the last bend in my opinion. It nearly carted him to victory.

Granted to what you say,  if it was a weaker runner that comes back in your face turning for home, not so good to give up position at 600.

But my concern is that he cost himself ground by handing up  and instead of making ultimate sniper do twice as much work around the last bend, he gave him an easier run and a head start, .. would Bruce Clarke have even considered giving vin knight that option?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Im with you on this Gammalite, you summed up the run it got perfectly. No doubt a few of Purdon's detractors may cry wolf yet again but nothing to see here if you look at racing pattern and sectionals of the race.

Greg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

But my concern is that he cost himself ground by handing up  and instead of making ultimate sniper do twice as much work around the last bend, he gave him an easier run and a head start, .. would Bruce Clarke have even considered giving vin knight that option?

Great question Flagship !!!! Bruce and Vinnie would not let anyone, anytime, in front of them if they could help it.

When GAMMALITE and POPULAR ALM drew 1 and 2 Auckland 1983 it was curtains for their NZ rivals. Did you see them come out of the gate ???

They are using horsepower for their drives. Not as much skill and judgement as Mark, Dexter , Anthony (Butt) your amazing drivers.

Now in that same race last night, that was expertly driven by Mark,  why aren't you guys criticising the Pitiful, weak effort of the girl on San Carlo out of the gate ??? bring back Vinnie and Bruce anyday.????

• Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, Gammalite said:

Great question Flagship !!!! Bruce and Vinnie would not let anyone, anytime, in front of them if they could help it.

When GAMMALITE and POPULAR ALM drew 1 and 2 Auckland 1983 it was curtains for their NZ rivals. Did you see them come out of the gate ???

They are using horsepower for their drives. Not as much skill and judgement as Mark, Dexter , Anthony (Butt) your amazing drivers.

Now in that same race last night, that was expertly driven by Mark,  why aren't you guys criticising the Pitiful, weak effort of the girl on San Carlo out of the gate ??? bring back Vinnie and Bruce anyday.????

Yes was a weak effort re San Carlo, Colt 31 drawn 2 on Friday so will be disappointed if he doesn't show something same with tough monarch drawn 1.:Cruz bromac and majestic man should win their final heats for fun on Friday, both the easier of the 2 heats

• Like 1

Yes was a weak effort re San Carlo, Colt 31

How about the Smart decision of the Aussie connections to put Cruz Bromac with Mark.??   da-da   NZ Cup now on mantlepiece !!

San Carlo could elevate to that level as well , but NO the girl from the bush gets lost lots of times in big races. San Carlo has been in 9 100k + races in Australia for one placing. Deserves better.

From my Homestate of Tassie came 'Flashing Red' to win 2 NZ cups and an Auckland Cup about 15 years ago as an aged horse..... Queensland connections were SMART enough to put on a top local driver over your way. Anthony Butt doing the honours and beating Monkey King with skill and amazing driving.

• Like 1

If he gets any penalty for that then I will be gobsmacked. I have seen similar drives dozens of times with no punishments or fines. You know the story with the stipes any excuse will do

Punishments and Fines ?????  What race were you watching NowOrNever ?  Can't believe I read that.

Marks horses ran 1st and 2nd clearly, from IMpossIBLE barriers, circumnavigating around QUALITY opposition. (not last and 2nd last)

He needs an excuse ?   You are truly kidding ???.

They deserve Accolades and medals if anything, and we should be in Awe of the great drives and fantastic horse performances as well.

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Reminds me of False Step's third NZ Cup in 1960 when Cecil Devine at the furlong peg stopped driving the horse out for a few strides thereby giving False Step a wee breather before asking him for a final effort. To me that won the Cup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gammalite said:

The question is would Purdon have driven like that if ultimate sniper was not trained by him. And I think the answer is no.

His job was to drive cruz bromac to achieve the best possible final  position and its debatable whether he did so by allowing his stablemate an easier run. Of course both did not have to strain  as much  in the final 400m as they would have had he remained parked.

I think we have to be realistic and accept that in a series like this some horses will get driven more conservatively so as to get through the 3 runs in a week in  better shape.  The punter and the trainer have different perspectives.

I think the stipes were right to ask the question but nothing will come of it because it is unclear whether staying parked would have made any difference to the result.

Having such high numbers in the final will make it very hard for the opposition drivers.

• Champ Post 1

Having such high numbers in the final will make it very hard for the opposition drivers.

Thats a fact !!! It will be hard for their own stable other drivers even and Barry Purdon's as well with 2 more.

In 1991 Auckland final they worked it out well and Barry on Reba Lord pressed the main opponent a lap out giving Mark a great last Lap on Mark Hanover. Christopher Vance through for second as well. (I'm expecting similar this year)

• Like 1

Why have the stipes asked the question?

It was a mutually beneficial drive for the stable runners. I don't think it would have happened if it was the final.

Why ? What is wrong with following Ultimate Sniper around the bend. ? That helped Mark's horse  just as much as the winner. He still nearly won the race.

I think we have to be realistic and accept that in a series like this some horses will get driven more conservatively so as to get through the 3 runs in a week in  better shape.  The punter and the trainer have different perspectives.

This is VERY important what you have wrote here Mr Galah.

You guys are picking on the wrong heat if anything. Sniper and Cruz were hardly driven conservatively , and as a punter I would of been thrilled to bits with the efforts of these 2 horses and their drivers , giving a great sight !!!!!!    and a great result.

Now just think, they could of been pulled to the back of the field and run on late to get enough points to make the final just like in the other heat  THE FIXER in the other heat sat back last, still last turning for home, pulling out 7 wide no less, then ran on for 5th very late. Personally if I was punting, I would be hacked off with that conservatism more than the Fabulous effort in the other heat with Sniper and Cruz getting the Quinella.

I think the stipes were right to ask the question but nothing will come of it because it is unclear whether staying parked would have made any difference to the result.

Just wondering what you ALL think of the other heat in that case, after seemingly, there are so many unhappy with Mark's brilliant drive on Cruz Bromac that needs questioning by stipes? joke..

The Allstars runner was Chase Auckland from the pole and no way ever was Stormont's runner going to be allowed to cross. Chase Auckland having won a Group One recently, the NZ FFA , obviously loaded with ability, then meekly hands up lead  to moderate performer AGWhitesocks and therefore gives away the lead in a short race , and the WIN in my opinion. Surely he wins if keeping Lead????

Is that just being conservative?, yes?, should the stewards quiz that driving tactic, ?? I think he gave away the win personally. Mark didn't.

Just watching again, purdon could well have got hemmed up if there was something strong enough outside him in the straight that kept it's line.....my personal thought, he keeps parked he wins, especially a 1700m race, If I had backed him I would be extremely pissed off....

Gee Flagship , you are talking harsh. Ultimate Sniper is racing at a Lazarus like level at present. ( not that Cruz isn't ,having won a little race like the NZ Cup recently .?) Sniper is the likely favourite for the final.

Mark's 10/10 drive came up a head short. No need to be pissed off. Just be Amazed how close he got !! Mark sure  is genius.

• Haha 1