Bit Of A Yarn

Ultimate Sniper -v- Cruz Bromac

21 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Gee Flagship , you are talking harsh. Ultimate Sniper is racing at a Lazarus like level at present. ( not that Cruz isn't ,having won a little race like the NZ Cup recently .?) Sniper is the likely favourite for the final.

Mark's 10/10 drive came up a head short. No need to be pissed off. Just be Amazed how close he got !! Mark sure  is genius.

I'll agree to disagree ?. I rate Cruz a better stayer than sniper, onwards to heat three and see what we can dismantle from those races!

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Why ? What is wrong with following Ultimate Sniper around the bend. ?

You fall behind a main rival 600m out which means you have to regain that distance within said distance. Also if you kept it 3 wide it would have covered more distance than if you had not conceded.

That helped Mark's horse  just as much as the winner.

Sure did, They ran one and two. Pity for the punters on Cruz Bromac though.

He still nearly won the race.

Exactly, What would have happened if he had kept Sniper 3 wide?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

then meekly hands up lead  to moderate performer AGWhitesocks and therefore gives away the lead in a short race , and the WIN in my opinion. Surely he wins if keeping Lead????

and in a similar scenario 'meekly hands up the parked postion in a short race 600m from home, surely he wins if keeping the parked position???

You can't have a piece of that cake and eat it too. ?

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

and in a similar scenario 'meekly hands up the parked postion in a short race 600m from home, surely he wins if keeping the parked position???

You can't have a piece of that cake and eat it too. ?

Pay that ?, but I'm not a big cake fan . some of these horses are getting a piece of the pie though.

So with Mark 'looking after Sniper' according to some, and Chase Auckland 'looking after Whitesocks' according to me, ALL 4 are through to the final for lots more fun. WELL DONE to team Purdon ! and the lovely Nat.

• Like 2

So with Mark 'looking after Sniper' according to some,

Geeze you would have to be deaf dumb and blind TO NOT THINK he was looking out for his horse. In 50 odd years of being part of the Harness scene I find the absolute arrogance of this setup and the way it gets away with it and not only the "racing style ", beggars belief.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. As much as i admire the skills , for the sake of NZ racing its time to pull a few heads in. Im not alone in this train of thought.

You guys keep following the pacing side of it and continue to pull your hair out. Fun watching

• Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Geeze you would have to be deaf dumb and blind TO NOT THINK he was looking out for his horse. In 50 odd years of being part of the Harness scene I find the absolute arrogance of this setup and the way it gets away with it and not only the "racing style ", beggars belief.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. As much as i admire the skills , for the sake of NZ racing its time to pull a few heads in. Im not alone in this train of thought.

You guys keep following the pacing side of it and continue to pull your hair out. Fun watching

globes best post ever??????? best luck in the final

• Champ Post 1

IT IS fun watching Globe..... Good luck with your trotters and be grateful Mark is only half hearted with training those.

For ALLSTARS The last 4 Auckland Cups and would of been the last 6 NZ Cups on the trot  (except a 2015 hiccup Smolda beaten a head after galloping) that is a Dynasty and a monopoly more than corruption. And many more in a row to come as well I would think for the ALL-Stars as they rule the roost..

They will probably win those age races Friday as well with the next wave coming through. Brilliance that is too hard to beat. !!?

The reason is the endless budget of their millionaire owners. They have NO NEED TO SELL. Anyone over there with a half decent horse in the lower grades invariably sells to Australian /American big owners ( Just like I did ) and even bring them over here to Aus ( just like I did) to get away from the Allstars dominance, the poor stakemoney , and the great sale prices you can get for NZ bloodstock. 

Sorry I have contributed to the demise of the game in New Zealand now that I think about it.???

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Just wondering what you ALL think of the other heat in that case, after seemingly, there are so many unhappy with Mark's brilliant drive on Cruz Bromac that needs questioning by stipes? joke..

The Allstars runner was Chase Auckland from the pole and no way ever was Stormont's runner going to be allowed to cross. Chase Auckland having won a Group One recently, the NZ FFA , obviously loaded with ability, then meekly hands up lead  to moderate performer AGWhitesocks and therefore gives away the lead in a short race , and the WIN in my opinion. Surely he wins if keeping Lead????

Is that just being conservative?, yes?, should the stewards quiz that driving tactic, ?? I think he gave away the win personally. Mark didn't.

There can be no suggestion Chase Aucklands driver was team driving as A g's whtesocks is not trained by the alll stars,anyway he trailed at the 1200m,not with 600m to run.  Team driving is why the stipes asked the question.

As to your reference to The Fixer being driven for a quiet run. That's not what the video shows.She was looking to improve throughout.

• Like 1

There can be no suggestion Chase Aucklands driver was team driving as A g's whtesocks is not trained by the alll stars,anyway he trailed at the 1200m,not with 600m to run.  Team driving is why the stipes asked the question.

As to your reference to The Fixer being driven for a quiet run. That's not what the video shows.She was looking to improve throughout.

Agreed that with Nat on The Fixer, the video shows she was trying to come out a lap out to improve position but the horse wasn't able to do so at that point. Apologies for that reference.

As far as Chase Auckland is concerned , why would they NOT want one of Big Brother Barry's in the final.? ? more Purdons the merrier !!.They can all work togeather as they did beautifully in the 1991 Auckland Interdominion final to great effect. Williams knew who it was going to the lead without making it work , and his chance of winning that heat was greatly REDUCED from that point, when not keeping the lead during a slow quarter.

NOT MANY RECENT GROUP 1 winners give up the lead a lap out in a short race through a 29.7 second quarter. Very slow for that grade if you know your times.?

We only have 1 mile and 2100m in Brisbane and No One gives up the lead a lap out in any race, let alone when driving a NZ FFA Group 1 winner through a slow quarter. Stipes should ask a question ?? Keeping main opponent in the death surely ( or I say definitely would of given Chase Auckland a better chance to win ?  or is it just the steward coming out of me ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Punishments and Fines ?????  What race were you watching NowOrNever ?  Can't believe I read that.

Marks horses ran 1st and 2nd clearly, from IMpossIBLE barriers, circumnavigating around QUALITY opposition. (not last and 2nd last)

He needs an excuse ?   You are truly kidding ???.

They deserve Accolades and medals if anything, and we should be in Awe of the great drives and fantastic horse performances as well.

No argument from me. I was just pointing out there would be no penalty for that drive as there have been dozens of similar drives in the past and the worst that has come of them has been questioning the driver. Also pointing out the fact it is easy to put one over the stipes with any old excuse.

• Like 1

No argument from me. I was just pointing out there would be no penalty for that drive as there have been dozens of similar drives in the past and the worst that has come of them has been questioning the driver. Also pointing out the fact it is easy to put one over the stipes with any old excuse.

Apologies mate for my brash reply to your post. I was in shock at the reaction through this thread to a brilliant drive on Cruz Bromac.

Some contributors here think they can out-drive Mark Purdon. That is funny beyond words that we are all putting here.

The main criticism being apparently handing up the spot outside the leader 600m out has cost him victory. 

I argue that is Not the Case as there are contributing factors to that decision. (to trail Ultimate Sniper)

The MAIN FACTOR was Triple Eight on some moronic 4 wide move was charging up outside them through a 27.5 second third quarter.

This forced the pace to FLAT OUT. a long way from home. Marks decision to trail a top horse, that he knows well, around the bend was a brilliant piece of Genius Driving and has given his horse a breather for that whole bend, and the Chance to take victory still. Fabulous ! They were charging home in 27.3 seconds for the last quarter, for a 54.8 half mile. Good in anyone's language, and considering they were 3 wide for the first half as well just a stunning performance..

The Critics on this thread say "NO, Not Good Enough" Mark should of gone even Faster to hold U Sniper and Triple Eight deeper on the track for the whole last bend. Hahahahah   Don't think they have driven horses at that pace before.and don't recognise brilliance when they see it . I'm still giving it 10/10 that drive and now hoping he [Cruz Bromac] wins the final. 

8 hours ago, Nowornever said:

put one over the stipes with any old excuse.

17 hours ago, Gammalite said:

The reason is the endless budget of their millionaire owners.

There in a nut shell is your answer. Combine the two, and add some other unmentionables and it is laid bare. 

Untouchable is the word Im looking for.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

There in a nut shell is your answer. Combine the two, and add some other unmentionables and it is laid bare. 

Untouchable is the word Im looking for.

Let's hope the straight out trotters can subdue them for a bit longer, it's the one facet of harness I really love now, it's unpredictable and lots more fingers in the pie....I echo hunters wishes to you guys in the final

Let's hope the straight out trotters can subdue them for a bit longer, it's the one facet of harness I really love now, it's unpredictable and lots more fingers in the pie....I echo hunters wishes to you guys in the final

So the best training and driving team ever in New Zealand [Mark and Nat] need to be subdued? 

I am just getting the picture FLAGSHIP . especially from Globe Derby who obviously has had some runners against them (ALLstars) at times and his appreciation of their efforts, is low it seems.

Excuse me from a distance, I am just in total Admiration of the wonderful performances they have generated, not realising there was a problem with it.

I can now see the beaten brigade/opponents have had a gutful and are crying foul. So sorry that has happened to NZ harness.

26 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

So the best training and driving team ever in New Zealand [Mark and Nat] need to be subdued? 

I am just getting the picture FLAGSHIP . especially from Globe Derby who obviously has had some runners against them (ALLstars) at times and his appreciation of their efforts, is low it seems.

Excuse me from a distance, I am just in total Admiration of the wonderful performances they have generated, not realising there was a problem with it.

I can now see the beaten brigade/opponents have had a gutful and are crying foul. So sorry that has happened to NZ harness.

It's like a huge mall moving in next to a lot of little shops..... good on them, they have the cash, but for me the fun has gone out of big pacing races... trotters require more patience and are more fun now for me........  With 3 or 4 of the top horses in every group level pacing race now  it's just hohum  20 + years ago more trainers more horses, no blood spinning etc....it's sad but for most owners the only money is on selling o/s which is no good for the local product

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

It's like a huge mall moving in next to a lot of little shops..... good on them, they have the cash, but for me the fun has gone out of big pacing races... trotters require more patience and are more fun now for me........  With 3 or 4 of the top horses in every group level pacing race now  it's just hohum  20 + years ago more trainers more horses, no blood spinning etc....it's sad but for most owners the only money is on selling o/s which is no good for the local product

Wow!  that is a great analogy with the MALL. I can see that would take the fun out of shopping !    and it crushes the little shops.

Well good luck with your lovely trotters then, and hope you get to race a good'un without having to sell.

7 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Wow!  that is a great analogy with the MALL. I can see that would take the fun out of shopping !    and it crushes the little shops.

Well good luck with your lovely trotters then, and hope you get to race a good'un without having to sell.

For me it's the watching and having a bet ? still love the grass track races. .no A.S  horses supporting local races,.. only appear at the premier meetings where the money is up....but don't back their horses running in NZ when Mark and Nat are campaigning others in Australia......they seem to underperform and have a virus ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Thanks Flag. Im going up for the Final night. I think we will have a big turnout, am only hoping Monty can pull a big one out of the hat over the longer distance and make the Final also.

• Like 1

For me it's the watching and having a bet ? still love the grass track races. .no A.S  horses supporting local races,.. only appear at the premier meetings where the money is up....but don't back their horses running in NZ when Mark and Nat are campaigning others in Australia......they seem to underperform and have a virus ?

Yes it is hard to work out a bet with 3 Allstars in a race. so punters do it tough just like the opponents in those races.

I had a big crack at Tiger Tara last year NZ cup , but The Fixer done him a head. Wish I backed up at Interdominion. But didn't even bother this year. (with NZ CUP that is) so I guess that is the way a lot of you guys are feeling too , with the dominance, as seen in this thread.

I am surmizing you mean your horse's are on the end of some Allstar thrashings so is hard to appreciate their acheivements?

Are you on their payroll . ?.I appreciate everything they have achieved and we haven't been "thrashed" as such at times, more unlucky if anything with minor placings. 

You are obviously on a need to know basis so without putting myself in an awkward position the case is closed. You can make your own assumptions. 

• Like 1