Bit Of A Yarn

LAMB SECOND DAY WESTPORT...

Davis

14 minutes ago, Davis said:

What the fuck is Lamb doing today? This must be one of his worst ever starting performances. R11 a shambles.

Resign Lamb.

The Vet was holding the starting tape on the 15m line in R11 and didn't release it- hence the false start!!!!!!

R 6 Unico Gem was facing the wrong way on the 2nd line for about 5 seconds then the goose said RIIIIIIIGHT---- and shock horror false start, if he can't see the whole field from his starting position get a better starting position.

I'm starting to think he's doing this on purpose if he's on the outer.

• Like 4

Very windy there today, some never heard the whistle,but for me where was the clerk of course, in wrong place,having a snooze, was a very quick vet check and there off again, should have all been scratched, my one trotted away great on the first attempt, but was stirred up the second time and galloped, took me 19 races over the two days to back a winner, fynn frost, was pleased with dividends, that was the only collect there, certainly backed some average performers, but then I do look for those roughies.

8 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

is fred tibbles still the clerk of the course on the coast ?

Fred would be about a 110 now!  Shit he was damn old when I was a kid on the coast and that was 50 yrs ago!

I think he and his horse used to live in Notown which was about 15 miles from Kumara.  He used to ride it the track!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Fred would be about a 110 now!  Shit he was damn old when I was a kid on the coast and that was 50 yrs ago!

I think he and his horse used to live in Notown which was about 15 miles from Kumara.  He used to ride it the track!

could take days to get home

• Haha 1

Linden Kilkelly.." I was mining near Fred's house, I was camping in Carlton Symes hut. Fred's house burnt down Fred moved into a nearby Hut...we used occasionally to town for a beer. He got us thrown out of the Aussie one night. He was having a pretend heart attack on the floor......there were a lot of Backpackers from the Camp ground there. I was kicking him (Gently)
Get up you silly old C....
Then about four impressionable young backpackers wanted to kill me for kicking the lovely old man. Anyway we both got thrown out. So we went to the Rec!
When travelling into Marsden on the Gravel Dusty Road....if you encountered Fred on his horse....he would be in the middle of the road, appearing not to see or hear you...you would have to stop. Fred would then pretend to notice you and say Hi!The reason that he done this was so that you would have to stop, then he would say hi and the dust would settle...he and the horse wouldn't get covered in dust."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would have been back in the late 70s early 80s that the popular identity around the racecourses of the Coast was Freddy Tibbles and one of his horses called Tony who is shown here with my son Tony McIntyre on Freddy's horse.
image.png
It was a well known fact that in particular following the race meeting at Victoria Park Raceway Freddy would put his Tony into the home paddock alongside the Caretakers House and go to the pub. my dad would tend to feeding and watering until Freddy would return, which was sometimes days later to collect his Tony. Tony knew his way back home to Boddytown where Freddy lived and sometimes that was just as well as it was known that Freddy didn't know his way home himself. Freddy was a lovely person to speak to

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

is fred tibbles still the clerk of the course on the coast ?

Crickey I remember fred, injured some rough weather there over his years of service, bit of a legend in his day, I think he would turn in his grave if he knew it was a paying job these days.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dougie said:

The Vet was holding the starting tape on the 15m line in R11 and didn't release it- hence the false start!!!!!!

R 6 Unico Gem was facing the wrong way on the 2nd line for about 5 seconds then the goose said RIIIIIIIGHT---- and shock horror false start, if he can't see the whole field from his starting position get a better starting position.

I'm starting to think he's doing this on purpose if he's on the outer.

The start of the last race was a debacle. 

As you say the head on appeared to show what appeared to be the vet holding into the tape,and not releasing it when the other tapes were released. I found that hard to believe ,but the stipes report says it was due to a communication error, so as unbelievable as that may seem,it could well be true.

I know subsequent winner Bright glow was one of those that did an extra round,but where is the protection for the punter when some of the horses that did an extra round a race speed were allowed to run. Imagine if bright glow had performed poorly like the others involved. An all round debacle by everyone involved.

7 hours ago, the galah said:

As you say the head on appeared to show what appeared to be the vet holding into the tape,and not releasing it when the other tapes were released. I found that hard to believe ,but the stipes report says it was due to a communication error, so as unbelievable as that may seem,it could well be true.

I know subsequent winner Bright glow was one of those that did an extra round,but where is the protection for the punter when some of the horses that did an extra round a race speed were allowed to run. Imagine if bright glow had performed poorly like the others involved. An all round debacle by everyone involved.

How is it that drivers and trainers are fined for gear errors or push out rule infringements etc but the starter hardly ever gets a mention in the Stipes report even when he makes huge stuff ups - R6 P LAMB was spoken to advisedly.!!!!! WTH is that.

Seemed to be plenty of starters assistants there how on earth is the Vet holding the tapes before one of them.?

I'm not going to complain as I had Bright Glow in a multi but I also couldn't resist just before the start Rachmaninov was @$17 a place so had a nibble and geez he went a long way before being pulled up properly by Trevor, I have no problem if the Vet passed all horses fit BUT how on earth did they do that in such a fast time...... can't be sure but it seemed the restart was only 2/3 minutes after the false start.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dougie said:

R6 P LAMB was spoken to advisedly.!!!!! WTH is that.

Not the first time either.  Add to that the other Lamb warnings and he should be hammered.

But the RIU and Stewards look after their own don't they?  Just harass and nail those trying to make a living.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, the galah said:

Ring the integrity line, those horses should have been scratched regardless, shocking, ok one did win,but the others didn't go that well, vet check happened very fast, probably they all wanted to get home, clerk of the course apparently got a telling off, but that doesn't help the losing punter,I  was left shaking my head

• Like 3

On a positive note. I see at motukarara today Tuamata VC was late scratched by the vet after rearing and falling to the track as they lined up. The horse seemed fine afterwards but at least the punters were protected by the late scratching as horses that do that never seem to go much good after.

I also see they suspended Mr A clark for a few months after his drive in race 1. 

Personally i find his drives always puts a smile on my face.Get back off the back of the field ,tack on,attack straight away,then stop again at the end of the back straight,then back to the trials a couple of days later.  You can set your clock to his tactics as they are always the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Brodie said:

You would have to wonder  just how good The Fiery Ginga wouldve been in Paul Nairn’s stable!

It may  not have been as good as it would have been trained differently and probably driven differently 

But yes it  could have been a world beater else where

Edited by Mehe

1 hour ago, Mehe said:

It may  not have been as good as it would have been trained differently and probably driven differently 

But yes it  could have been a world beater else where

Like him,or think he thinks way,way outside the square,your right in that he compiled a fantastic record with The Feiry Ginga.