Bit Of A Yarn

Methven Miles??

Brodie

47 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Why?.....

The horses are better off Brodie. a sit and sprint and are fine to race again next week (the bulk) without being flat.

Just watched race 3 won by Major Collect , get home from 4 back the fence to win. that big track helps. four back on fence in Australia and you would run last, over a mile. 

Even the third horse Rocket Boy with BlairO got home from the tail for third, so I do agree that if 2600m , would be more chance of catching leaders from that position, BUT only because they might be tiring more.

Therefore Much kinder to horses ! they could race next week. If 2600m might struggle week to week. Is much harder to back up and be competitive.

Yes , some QLD horses race 50 starts a year, not flattened by distance racing. 2100m tops. easier to train too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Terrible racing.

Stands over 1700m?

May well be easier on the horse, just terrible for form and punting!!

Harness is struggling if we have to resort to this crap!

Have to say you are right there. horse only got to be slow away and no time to catch leaders after. let alone gallop out. Why can't they use the fricken mobile and get everyone away safely.

Harness is struggling (betting wise) from all the horses galloping out the back. You just can't let punters lose like that these days. they'll just back thoroughbreds everytime instead.

There's too many races where your horse is actually involved in the race !! lol...  I'm waiting for Veeery Eleegant in the Queen Elizabeth next week. What a bonnie NZ mare she is. good run for your money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Have to say you are right there. horse only got to be slow away and no time to catch leaders after. let alone gallop out. Why can't they use the fricken mobile and get everyone away safely.

Harness is struggling (betting wise) from all the horses galloping out the back. You just can't let punters lose like that these days. they'll just back thoroughbreds everytime instead.

There's too many races where your horse is actually involved in the race !! lol...  I'm waiting for Veeery Eleegant in the Queen Elizabeth next week. What a bonnie NZ mare she is. good run for your money.

Gamma, yes harness is struggling big time for punters.

Was speaking to someone the other day who is in the know and confirmed that harness turnover is declining which most of us must know.

Tote pools mostly are nothing like they used to be and unless others are able to get decent fixed odds bets on then that wagering will be declining.

How on earth is harness racing going to attract new punters to offload when they dish up this stupid short distance racing.

I know some will come on and say it was a success and they enjoyed it but as a spectacle today it was pretty boring.

Even several of the winners today you would not have touched going on previous performances, so why would punters bother??

Gamma, you are correct the stands over 1700m are not a fair playing field.

No doubt Methven will run the short distance races again and trainers will support them but as an attraction for the punter yeah/nah

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Big Bang said:

Over $1 million invested on the short course meeting yesterday. 

Something different. Seemed to work quite well. Thought the racing was pretty exciting and some good performances. 

Big Bang, you are very easily excited then?

• Bad Post 1

2 hours ago, Big Bang said:

Total turnover of around $1.1 million was the word yesterday 

Can you actually give us a clearer breakdown of this $1.1 million?

Seems very high wouldn’t you think?

There mustve been a helluva lot of fixed odds bets and exotics for it to be anywhere near that figure.

Thats $100k per race and as we know $10k in each tote pool on the tote is quite high nowadays!

Look forward to the breakdown from the TAB shortly then?

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Mate, you will be excited to learn that at Saturday's Rangiora meeting there are three sprints. Two races over 1390m (I kid you not) and a fillies and mares mobile mile. 

Enjoy...

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Davis said:

Mate, you will be excited to learn that at Saturday's Rangiora meeting there are three sprints. Two races over 1390m (I kid you not) and a fillies and mares mobile mile. 

Enjoy...

Lol no Club in NZ would be that dumb Davis!

Seriously, mile racing is just so not worth betting into.

• Bad Post 1

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Lol no Club in NZ would be that dumb Davis!

Seriously, mile racing is just so not worth betting into.

ANZAC Day brodster

you might have to bunker down and play two up at the RSA to keep your mind from exploding

Edited by Rangatira
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

ANZAC Day brodster

you might have to bunker down and play two up at the RSA to keep your mind from exploding

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FFS!

What imbecile dropkick has programmed this?????

This is just crazy shit that just should not be happening!!!!!
harness racing is doomed if they think punters are going to be bothered with this crap!!!
Forbury one lappers was a failure and now another Club thinks they will give it a go?

OK last one out please turn out the lights as we have knumbskulls running some of the harness clubs.

• Haha 1
  • Bad Post 1

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FFS!

What imbecile dropkick has programmed this?????

This is just crazy shit that just should not be happening!!!!!
harness racing is doomed if they think punters are going to be bothered with this crap!!!
Forbury one lappers was a failure and now another Club thinks they will give it a go?

OK last one out please turn out the lights as we have knumbskulls running some of the harness clubs.

It should suit some of the slow horses that are on display at these second-rate meetings. Many runners drop out 800-1000m from home. Perhaps 1390m will suit those slow, weak horses mate?

Edited by Davis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Righto, Brodie. I'll bite. 

I actually really enjoyed the meeting. 

Good spread of winners. Some great prices on offer. Punting was a bit of a different challenge due to the distance of racing. Horses coming from everywhere to win. 

It was a good day. 

And the big crowd on course enjoying the sunshine would suggest that too. 

I don't have access to the breakdown. My comment was gained from a conversation with a committee member. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davis said:

It should suit some of the slow horses that are on display at these second-rate meetings. Many runners drop out 800-1000m from home. Perhaps 1390m will suit those slow, weak horses mate?

hopefully an opportunity or two will exist over the extreme sprinting distance at forbury before stumps are drawn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

was just thinking that. Yesterday at Redcliffe Brisbane the 'really slow' ones that can't break 2minutes get a crack at $1816 for 9 races of 9 starters. over 1700m. (they have these now and then)

Lo and behold one race they went 1.56 ?? what's going on here. so turns out Darrel Graham had 2 horses in it including KING OF TRUMPS nz very heavily backed into $1.80. It had one start NZ and won at Gore in January.

so Darrel attacked the leader with his drive (stablemate) because leader only serious opponent hahaha then sat parked, then gave it to the leader again down the backstraight !!!! excellent. of course King of Trumps swings home from back in the field to win easily in 1.56 hahahah. pure entertainment. good to see the team driving working out lol. after the excellent Nz displays. Darrel just did a year for an unlucky Cobalt charge so deserves something to go well for a change. lol.... sunday afternoon fun. 

• Haha 1

Turnover approximately 1.15 million , yes I have a breakdown.  If you want to know why every race was started at the top of the straight it was to look after the bend exiting the straight because we have another meeting in two weeks time. With no guarantee of the weather our track committee and programmer made the decision and in my opinion was a bloody good one which I will defend all day long.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Can you actually give us a clearer breakdown of this $1.1 million?

Seems very high wouldn’t you think?

There mustve been a helluva lot of fixed odds bets and exotics for it to be anywhere near that figure.

Thats $100k per race and as we know $10k in each tote pool on the tote is quite high nowadays!

Look forward to the breakdown from the TAB shortly then?

Tote poll for the day approximately 700 thousand , not sure where you get your 10k from, maybe just do a bit of homework,  clearly not on the money today.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:00 PM, Brodie said:

Gamma, yes harness is struggling big time for punters.

Was speaking to someone the other day who is in the know and confirmed that harness turnover is declining which most of us must know.

Tote pools mostly are nothing like they used to be and unless others are able to get decent fixed odds bets on then that wagering will be declining.

How on earth is harness racing going to attract new punters to offload when they dish up this stupid short distance racing.

I know some will come on and say it was a success and they enjoyed it but as a spectacle today it was pretty boring.

Even several of the winners today you would not have touched going on previous performances, so why would punters bother??

Gamma, you are correct the stands over 1700m are not a fair playing field.

No doubt Methven will run the short distance races again and trainers will support them but as an attraction for the punter yeah/nah

Obviously speaking to someone talking out of their arse, turnovers have been very good again not on the money today Mr Brodie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Brodie..a video interview with Methven Racing Manager Laurence Hanrahan on Harness Facebook Page:

Thanks punters for turnover of $1.15million.(No breakdown)

There is a lot of figures given out by racing people including the NZ TAB and we all know that they were insolvent!

Auckland TC run races for far bigger stakes than they should be as it is costing the industry.

If they are turning over over $1 million then lets see how this is made up!

The tote pools win and place suggest that turnover on the tote is way down on what used to be wagered.

I also suggest that fixed odds wagering could well be down as the NZ TAB just wont take bets of  any significance from many punters so turnover is not increasing!

How many people actually know of people that are getting into punting on harness horses?

I would suggest quite the opposite, punters not bothering as that is my experience over the last couple of years.

Many of the regulars that used to always be oncourse never bother  nowadays.

You only need to look on Trackside tv coverage to see buggerall oncourse