Bit Of A Yarn

Yes Auckland is knackered!

23 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Harold Park Sydney used to have huge crowds. When it closed they went to Menangle (an hour away ) 65kms. so it's pretty much just owners that attend regularly.

That doesn't matter too much when you can still maintain the same or more punting turnover.  In the old days they only way you could get a good punt on was on course.  Now we multi-task.  For example I've backed horses while in the stand at an All Black test and while at breakfast with a good looking woman (the race was across time zones!).

BUT I do believe if you build up the grass roots (the provinces) then people WILL come to town.  When people come to town the town people come out.  That's what I like about Victoria Racing's Midway and Highway promotions.  

That's why I don't want to see either Ellerslie OR Alexandra Park fail because if you get the basics right they will once again be big revenue generating venues.

Great horses help too.  Build from the ground up and we can retain those crowd attracting horses.  Sadly I thought Gold Watch might have been one of those.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, mikeynz said:

It's funny you say that about mile racing yet in the good old USA that's all they have, it don't make it right but it is what it is.

In some ways mile races should be a bit like 20/ 20 cricket, a novelty but like any other novelty we hammer it do death till the novelty wears off.

Mile and sprint aacing is easier on most horses. The nags can race every week, pay their way and probably need little work between races. 

• Champ Post 1

31 minutes ago, curious said:

They've moved from the human population to the horse population?

Yes quite a large population SE Queensland now . grows by 1000 persons per week. The gold Coast just had a brilliant Magic Millions carnival. Unfortunately they shut the beautiful GC Parklands harness track 2010, to build 'dwellings for the Commonwealth games that were held 2018. A place full of rich and retired folk too. I guess they can play golf and go to the Saturday gallops and harness racing misses out these days.

The 'Horse population ' is very well looked after,  with Albion and Redcliffe racing 4-5 days every week , so every horse has a chance to win ,with all classes catered for every week .

and like Davis just said , an important aspect is the racing is short distance 1600m and 2100m so some horses race week to week , all year round , without being flattened (heaps don't hopple up unless at races, just have a swim and canter for training) . that long distance stuff , 3 wide for a lap etc, just too hard on these mediocre horses, That is why kiwi ones like LL Cool J , Deus Ex,  etc do so well when they turn up. bit tougher !!! lol......

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

12 hours ago, Gammalite said:

A racecard for all the beautiful trotters!! . The very Best actually race Twice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  how cool ! like the old days.

TEMPORALE is one of them for New Zealand ! may the racing gods see him go close to taking it out hopefully , as would be great for Suzanne Herlihy and fellow Nz owners.  (Great Southern Star)

Temporale trotted his heart out to win his heat early in the night, and then 5th in Final later on.

But Kate Gath drove Majestuoso to victory for husband Andy the trainer . To make it three on the trot !!! 

3 x Great Southern Stars that is !  after Tornado Valley won the previous 2 for Norm Jenkin. Pretty sure Norm is a ex-pat kiwi too ? a pretty lucky one !!  thats for sure !!. Kate just keeps on winning. What a great combination.

7 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Yes quite a large population SE Queensland now . grows by 1000 persons per week. The gold Coast just had a brilliant Magic Millions carnival. Unfortunately they shut the beautiful GC Parklands harness track 2010, to build 'dwellings for the Commonwealth games that were held 2018. A place full of rich and retired folk too. I guess they can play golf and go to the Saturday gallops and harness racing misses out these days.

The 'Horse population ' is very well looked after,  with Albion and Redcliffe racing 4-5 days every week , so every horse has a chance to win ,with all classes catered for every week .

and like Davis just said , an important aspect is the racing is short distance 1600m and 2100m so some horses race week to week , all year round , without being flattened (heaps don't hopple up unless at races, just have a swim and canter for training) . that long distance stuff , 3 wide for a lap etc, just too hard on these mediocre horses, That is why kiwi ones like LL Cool J , Deus Ex,  etc do so well when they turn up. bit tougher !!! lol......

Hi I enjoy your posts.your correct regarding gold coast.the filthy lieing criminal corrupt Qld govt Promised ten million dollars to rebuild the track at the gold coast.this Qld govt is going to pay in a almighty way for all there planned crimes.i was there for a sensational night seeing the last big race night including Fluer de lil.harold park was the best track in NSW to watch the horses.i saw courage under fire homes DG.biggest mistake moving from city locations to the outer suburbs.melton is just crap.been there but never again.mooney valley was much better.even met mark Purdon there with young rufus.met Gavin Lang at Cranbourne and he was the nicest person to talk to as was Chris lang.must run in the family.

• Like 1

Parklands at Surfers Paradise was great racing, very relaxed!

Went many many times and easy to make money.

Redcliff is a dog of a track even though I have never been to it, but you can tell watching on Trackside.

Not worth betting on the tote in Queensland as there is never anything worthwhile in the pools.

Had a a few cracks on fixed over there, however they are tighter than nuns!

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Parklands at Surfers Paradise was great racing, very relaxed!

Went many many times and easy to make money.

Redcliff is a dog of a track even though I have never been to it, but you can tell watching on Trackside.

Not worth betting on the tote in Queensland as there is never anything worthwhile in the pools.

Had a a few cracks on fixed over there, however they are tighter than nuns!

I went to Redcliffe twenty years ago and I needed cash out and I had to go to the servo as no ATMs at track then.i liked the parklands track.i went only once as I was on holidays at burley.when I was there I meet a old friend Steve single who was one of the biggest bookies in sydney.his horse he owned was running in the big two year old race.i told him he had zero chance of winning.he would run second to Lola's best two year old ever who was tough as boots with speed to go with it.i was right.the smarts won the other two year old event as I expected.what a great night.when at Harold park with my mentor who was the biggest punter I've ever seen from nz.he placed 13k on courage under fire from inside the back row at 1/8 on and Steve said to him if I get another bet like that I'll get it beat!my friend could not believe his ears but later in life I believe as Steve told me the yulestar story from the inters in brisbane.no one got done for it but it was all true

Edited by Forbury
Spelling
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

I don't think those bookies would have been relaxed when they heard you were on course

images (10).jpeg

Most of the time there wernt any Bookies oncourse.

Wouldve gone to in excess of 70 meetings at Parklands, and probably only saw a Bookie oncourse 3 or 4 times.

Not sure whether Bookies was ever that strong at Parklands on the GC ever, certainly were not in the last 20years that they raced.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Brodie said:

Most of the time there wernt any Bookies oncourse.

Wouldve gone to in excess of 70 meetings at Parklands, and probably only saw a Bookie oncourse 3 or 4 times.

Not sure whether Bookies was ever that strong at Parklands on the GC ever, certainly were not in the last 20years that they raced.

Only there for about 20 years total . about 1989-90 we started racing there. One of the best tracks in Australia . perfect to drive on and all horses got a chance, had a few duels with Bill Dixon and then his son Grant started his driving career, and taking us on , and beating us !! . Then a young girl came off the mini trotters and started beating us , named Natalie Rasmussen ?   So then Grant and Natalie married and started 'Flogging us' rivals lol......  so quite a few gave it (harness racing) away altogeather (including the top trainer Kevin Thomas)  

The whip rule changes caused retirements as well. Nat then got 'Blacks A Fake' and just before the Gold Coast track closed around 2010 (to build a stupid athletes village for 2018 commonwealth games on the site) 

Also the kiwi's of Ant's and Tim Butt did the 'unthinkable' and Beat triple champion and local hero 'Blacks A Fake 'on his home track by a neck with Mr FEELGOOD in the 2009 Gold Coast Interdominion pacing Grand Final !! oh dear ......   no wonder they closed it and Nat moved to NZ ????  lol.....

Edited by Gammalite
  • Like 1

There were a few ex Kiwis that were training there when they closed the Parklands track.

I know John Langdon had something to do with running the GC Club as I spoke to him once there, plus Richard Hooper was also based there and training.

Even was close to “Steel Balls” one meeting over there, was interesting lol

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

I know John Langdon had something to do with running the GC Club as I spoke to him once there, plus Richard Hooper was also based there and training.

Unfortunately Hooper and the young Langdon (forget his name for the minute) who was just getting some going too were both dumped out amongst a heap of others for positives. ususally they go and do something else and don't find there way back again to racing, after something like that.

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Unfortunately Hooper and the young Langdon (forget his name for the minute) who was just getting some going too were both dumped out amongst a heap of others for positives. ususally they go and do something else and don't find there way back again to racing, after something like that.

I didn’t know that Gamma.

It was John who was on the GC, Michael his son, was training in Victoria and was going pretty good.

I think John went to Michaels after the GC track closed.

John Langdon as you will know was a top trainer and driver and nice bloke.

Richard Hooper could train pretty good, not so good was his driving though.

Edited by Brodie

3 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

at the good horse in Burwood?

Lol no the harness track on the Gold Coast was at Parklands.

As Gammalite said they closed the track and built all these horrible colourful units for accommodation for the Commonwealth Games.

They were meant to build another track somewhere but never have and now race at Redcliff.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Lol no the harness track on the Gold Coast was at Parklands.

As Gammalite said they closed the track and built all these horrible colourful units for accommodation for the Commonwealth Games.

They were meant to build another track somewhere but never have and now race at Redcliff.

Rocklea good on a Saturday arvo