Bit Of A Yarn

Yes Auckland is knackered!

You only have to look at the betting pools for the tote to see that there is no way that these meetings at Alexandra Park are covering costs!

Pathetic pool sizes, pathetic low no. Of starters and there will be bugger all there to watch the boring racing!

How on earth can they compete against Addington racing?

RIP Auckland harness as you will never dig yourself out of the almighty hole you are in!

Michael Guerin will no doubt say it is being negative and of course it is but what this country needs is more truth and no more of the BS that we get everyday from his fellow so called media tribe!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Auckland is in trouble. Large debts, falling horse numbers, president and CEO going by the side door, and now about to lose the bulk of their Friday nights. I just hope that they are treated in the same kind fair way that clubs like Forbury were treated .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

So Auckland is in trouble. Large debts, falling horse numbers, president and CEO going by the side door, and now about to lose the bulk of their Friday nights. I just hope that they are treated in the same kind fair way that clubs like Forbury were treated .

Is that really going to benefit NZ Harness Racing?  A saying in Rugby - a strong Auckland NPC team means a strong All Black team.

Hopefully they get a chance to turn it around.  Not the only Club to be mismanaged.

• Like 2

Perhaps they could sell Alex Park and invest anything left after paying off debt into a state of the art facility at Forbury. After all, racing is pretty much an off course activity these days. Perhaps have a token Auckland Cup meeting on the grass at Ellerslie. Much the same happened to Hutt Park.

I sometimes think I should be charging a consultants fee for some of my more innovative ideas.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Is that really going to benefit NZ Harness Racing?  A saying in Rugby - a strong Auckland NPC team means a strong All Black team.

Hopefully they get a chance to turn it around.  Not the only Club to be mismanaged.

No it wont  help NZ harness Chief, but what is the answer up there?

No one wants to start training up there as there are not enough new owners coming thru!

The NZ TAB do not want certain punters from wagering on harness racing!

The tote pools are pathetically small, so would not think that fixed odds are huge due to restrictions!

The racing is as boring as anything so buggerall go to watch oncourse so no new punters coming thru!

The programming of races is shocking due to both the small no. Of horses racing and the Dickheads programming boring sprint races!!!

Unfortunately can not  see how it is going to get any better as so many business owners in Auckland have been decimated financially due to the total over reaction to a mild virus they gave a name to COVID19!!!!

The modellers have once again been telling BS to the believers!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So Auckland needs to be given preferential treatment? Ludicrous idea. Let them harden up, roll their sleeves up and stop being a pack of whining pansies. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

So Auckland needs to be given preferential treatment? Ludicrous idea. Let them harden up, roll their sleeves up and stop being a pack of whining pansies. 

Never said they needed to be given preferential treatment.  But it will be a big loss if they fold.  NZ Harness Racing needs them to succeed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brodie said:

No one wants to start training up there as there are not enough new owners coming thru!

The tote pools are pathetically small, so would not think that fixed odds are huge due to restrictions!

The racing is as boring as anything so buggerall go to watch oncourse so no new punters coming thru!

The programming of races is shocking due to both the small no. Of horses racing and the Dickheads programming boring sprint races!!!

Unfortunately can not  see how it is going to get any better as so many business owners in Auckland have been decimated financially due to the total over reaction to a mild virus they gave a name to COVID19!!!!

Money to be made at Auckland mate... look more closely... $12 shot in the third from strikerate trainer Wigg, easy money

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Perhaps they could sell Alex Park and invest anything left after paying off debt into a state of the art facility at Forbury. After all, racing is pretty much an off course activity these days. Perhaps have a token Auckland Cup meeting on the grass at Ellerslie. Much the same happened to Hutt Park.

I sometimes think I should be charging a consultants fee for some of my more innovative ideas.

Why not keep Alex Park and team up with Avondale Jockey Club.  Create a dual code training facility at Avondale and have AWT Gallops at Alex.

12 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you think no harness racing in Auckland would be a good thing?

There hasn't been trots in Wgtn for a long time and people seem to have survived. After a few years no one will even remember Auckland once had trots. 

Auckland doesn't have test match cricket and the game seems to carry on.

Aucklanders have so many other interests, might as well send the trots where it is most appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Doomed said:

There hasn't been trots in Wgtn for a long time and people seem to have survived. After a few years no one will even remember Auckland once had trots. 

Auckland doesn't have test match cricket and the game seems to carry on.

Aucklanders have so many other interests, might as well send the trots where it is most appreciated.

Are you taking the piss?  If our largest City can't sustain one Trotting Club and Track then Harness should save itself the torture and put the Closed sign up now.

Auckland goes, Cambridge next and then there is no Harness in the North Island at all.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

I agree the racing is often very uncompetitive. I just watched my first race there tonight  won by franco mac and it was a walking race over 1 mile. It was like robbie close had given the driving instructions to everything in the field.Some of those races aren't competitive.

Mind you even southland can't even come up with anywhere near full fields. The racing down there just isn't the same as it used to be. Just watch todays races and especially those miles no one ever bothers to move up.There are some drivers who get 7 and 8 drives a day but i personally just don't bother having a bet if they are on my top selection.

People should go and have a look at play philly in race 6 at winton today.It closed paying $1.40 to win.Now who in their right mind would have backed a robbie close drive paying as little as that. But i can tell you anyone who did would be put off betting for some time it was just another  non trying drive.The stipes accepted his explanation.I was laughing to be honest because i predicted it,but really its not funny.

And your right about those covid numbers brodie. Just 7 days ago it was plastered all over the media that they were predicting 50,000 by waitangi day.Got to keep the fear up. Looks like they are only going to be out by 49,500. I see a USA poll found the vaccinated more scared of getting sick than the unvaccinated. I suppose in some ways that makes sense.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

10 minutes ago, the galah said:

People should go and have a look at play philly in race 6 at winton today.It closed paying $1.40 to win.Now who in their right mind would have backed a robbie close drive paying as little as that. But i can tell you anyone who did would be put off betting for some time it was just another  non trying drive.The stipes accepted his explanation.I was laughing to be honest because i predicted it,but really its not funny.

Bloody hell, I just went and watched that out of interest. Awful drive, he only seemed to want to burst between runners, no desire to go around them. Drove it like a $50 shot who needed exceptional luck to win. Just as bad as yesterday's Waikato Guineas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Most of Forbury Park Thursday meetings were non events laterly I remember when they shifted their Easter meeting to a Thursday, but that Thursday is kind of a Friday so it went well, then they all went Thursday, now that Forbury gone  plenty of room for Alexandra Park to takeover, some of the schedule does make you wonder though, Manawatu always getting a Tuesday, I don't know seems everything is fucked, I've always questioned why Southland always gets mostly Thursdays before Xmas then for some reason  once club rugby starts it's mostly Saturdays.

Im not taking the piss about Alexandra Park but it is a hard watch, yet the inter dominions held a year or two ago was a great series, simple fact is quantity has taken over from quality,. seems the rugby union are no different, I see they have just revamped the NPC again, will it make any real difference for the lesser unions, probably not.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, the galah said:

People should go and have a look at play philly in race 6 at winton today.It closed paying $1.40 to win.Now who in their right mind would have backed a robbie close drive paying as little as that. But i can tell you anyone who did would be put off betting for some time it was just another  non trying drive.

Makes me feel more sorry for the Saginaw bloke than before lol...

Hope you don't mind but had a look at Play Philly as you described,  and well....  what happened ?

Surely, Close mistook the laps or something?  must of forgot it was a mile and thought there was a lap to go ? That was pretty poor ,I should say 'Very poor' steering for a 7 horse field . $1.60 fav and not in Trifecta. should of bolted in really. hard to work that one out.

15 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Most of Forbury Park Thursday meetings were non events laterly I remember when they shifted their Easter meeting to a Thursday, but that Thursday is kind of a Friday so it went well, then they all went Thursday, now that Forbury gone  plenty of room for Alexandra Park to takeover, some of the schedule does make you wonder though, Manawatu always getting a Tuesday, I don't know seems everything is fucked, I've always questioned why Southland always gets mostly Thursdays before Xmas then for some reason  once club rugby starts it's mostly Saturdays.

Im not taking the piss about Alexandra Park but it is a hard watch, yet the inter dominions held a year or two ago was a great series, simple fact is quantity has taken over from quality,. seems the rugby union are no different, I see they have just revamped the NPC again, will it make any real difference for the lesser unions, probably not.

Same thing is now happening to Harness as the Thoroughbreds.  Count how many competitive NZ Harness horses are racing in OZ over the next two days.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Makes me feel more sorry for the Saginaw bloke than before lol...

Hope you don't mind but had a look at Play Philly as you described,  and well....  what happened ?

Surely, Close mistook the laps or something?  must of forgot it was a mile and thought there was a lap to go ? That was pretty poor ,I should say 'Very poor' steering for a 7 horse field . $1.60 fav and not in Trifecta. should of bolted in really. hard to work that one out.

Just wanting it to have a soft run before the bigger races for 3yo fillies that are to come in Southland. Just taking the punters for mugs. But the stipes enable it through their inaction. It is what it is.