Bit Of A Yarn

Ambulance times

Not exactly a racing topic, although I think relevant in this case..shift it if you wish, Chief.

Yesterday a young woman had an accident during trackwork, resulting in a dislocated elbow, and compound fractures of her lower arm.

An hour and a half lying on a very cold track until the ambulance arrived.    You might say, why didn't she walk back and get a lift in someone's car?  { I wasn't at the scene btw ]

But she was in a lot of pain, and not coping at all.  Seemingly getting up and walking was  not an option for her, at that time.

But, hell, just as well she wasn't bleeding to death.

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Not exactly a racing topic, although I think relevant in this case..shift it if you wish, Chief.

Yesterday a young woman had an accident during trackwork, resulting in a dislocated elbow, and compound fractures of her lower arm.

An hour and a half lying on a very cold track until the ambulance arrived.    You might say, why didn't she walk back and get a lift in someone's car?  { I wasn't at the scene btw ]

But she was in a lot of pain, and not coping at all.  Seemingly getting up and walking was  not an option for her, at that time.

WTF? Even back to early 80's when I trained at Flemington we had a trained first aid officer and a fully compliant emergency vehicle stationed at the track from 4am until close of track work. Now, most of the metro tracks here have a paramedic on hand and no track work begins until said person is in place.

That's not good enough Freda, I can't believe the jocks that ride there allow this to happen, wouldn't happen here, no-one would ride, full stop.

The crossing keeper does have first-aid training ....but nothing else for a seriously injured person.

Not his fault at all, he did the best he could given the circumstances.

But the ambulances and their time-frames have been widely criticized in the general sense, and i don't think it is their fault either.

Chronic underfunding as well as bludgers using the service as a cheap ride to hospital for a sore leg or toothache.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, Freda said:

The crossing keeper does have first-aid training ....but nothing else for a seriously injured person.

Not his fault at all, he did the best he could given the circumstances.

But the ambulances and their time-frames have been widely criticized in the general sense, and i don't think it is their fault either.

Chronic underfunding as well as bludgers using the service as a cheap ride to hospital for a sore leg or toothache.

Wishing that young rider a speedy recovery. sounds an awful injury and the pain must of been extreme.

Heaps of folk in ambulances get 'ramped' in Australia. (stuck in the vehicle parked on the ramp at hospital to emergency , until they can squeeze them in). growing popualation = growing problem alas....

Love the ambo's . what a job they do. Rang an ambulance just last night actually, as old 95 year old bloke I tend to daily who lives alone in own house still , suddenly couldn't get out of the chair or hold his feet. thought 'stroke' of some kind. poor bloke got a bit distressed as you would , and ambo's arrived in 5 minutes. very thorough and professional. had to wait 3 hours for admission after though, as hospitals are chock full of covid/ flu compromised people all over the place in these parts. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

WTF? Even back to early 80's when I trained at Flemington we had a trained first aid officer and a fully compliant emergency vehicle stationed at the track from 4am until close of track work. Now, most of the metro tracks here have a paramedic on hand and no track work begins until said person is in place.

That's not good enough Freda, I can't believe the jocks that ride there allow this to happen, wouldn't happen here, no-one would ride, full stop.

Riccarton may not have a paramedic, but it does have an AWT, which Flemington doesn't have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I hope the young lady is ok and heals quickly. 

I am however reminded of a time when my first wife and I were on holiday on the Gold Coast and I had not enjoyed a profitable day on the punt.

My wife: I need help quickly, my Husband is trying to jump out of the window, and we are on the 14th floor.

Receptionist: Okay calm down, do you need police and an Ambulance?

My wife: No I need maintenance, the fucking window won't open.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Freda said:

6 months ago st john reported they had stood down 314 paid and volunteer staff due to the vaccine mandates. 20 full time and 59 volunteers(ambulance),plus 6 paid and 229  volunteer non-patient facing.So just look to the government for who helped create part of the problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

6 months ago st john reported they had stood down 314 paid and volunteer staff due to the vaccine mandates. 20 full time and 59 volunteers(ambulance),plus 6 paid and 229  volunteer non-patient facing.So just look to the government for who helped create part of the problem.

Yep.

2 hours ago, the galah said:

You hit the nail on the head there, and those figures are just ambo staff, imagine how many staff across the board in all industries due to mandates, but they don't seem to mention these numbers, when there short of critical workers, poor nurses still on the bench, mean while remaining workers are pushed to the extreme to cover.Sad state of affairs 

• Like 3

On 24/06/2022 at 4:51 PM, Ludwig said:

Well, Andrew Little is in charge of the health system, so it's obviously in good hands😀

He was in charge of the Union that the Pike workers belonged to.  He did a great job there.  Never sighted until the TV cameras were infesting the place when he became akin to a bad smell - wouldn't go away.

St John are under immense pressure and the bottom line with an ambulance is if they(the patient) are not having breathing difficulty and they have a pulse then they wait their turn.  And that is especially so if there is a qualified first aider or Paramedic on hand.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1