Jump to content
Bit Of A Yarn

Recommended Posts

Watching todays racing the pattern is you have to be in front.

But the race just run was the 3rd in a row where the leader dictated the pace,and yet not one driver made a move until after they turned for home.It was about the 5th race so far today thats been like that.Not one horse pulled 3 wide prior to the final straight each time.

Sam ottley is an exception,driving well,but really anyone who j has been watching would wonder how hard some are trying,or are they happy to go all that way to drop rating points. Seems a long way to go for that.

  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, the galah said:

Watching todays racing the pattern is you have to be in front.

But the race just run was the 3rd in a row where the leader dictated the pace,and yet not one driver made a move until after they turned for home.It was about the 5th race so far today thats been like that.Not one horse pulled 3 wide prior to the final straight each time.

Sam ottley is an exception,driving well,but really anyone who j has been watching would wonder how hard some are trying,or are they happy to go all that way to drop rating points. Seems a long way to go for that.

YES, ITs a frontrunners track. I don't bet there as it is one of worst tracks in Southern Hemisphere in my opinion.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I have to vent.ben hope on morries girl looked and drive like a skitzo crazy monkey.it takes some talent to lose when you cannot.morries girl was going to win easy until Ben went crazy like a monkey.it was all him.you would never ever see a top driver do what this monkey did.dangerous again yes that's Ben hope

  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Forbury said:

Sorry I have to vent.ben hope on morries girl looked and drive like a skitzo crazy monkey.it takes some talent to lose when you cannot.morries girl was going to win easy until Ben went crazy like a monkey.it was all him.you would never ever see a top driver do what this monkey did.dangerous again yes that's Ben hope

I agree mate. Young Hope will cause a serous smash one day. It's certain.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Davis said:

I agree mate. Young Hope will cause a serous smash one day. It's certain.

He mostly drives pretty well,  but every now and then something clicks in his head then his arms go like a traffic conducted,  arms everywhere. I like the kid though. 

 

Hj

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I don't know why they insist on running all those 1,850m races. If you can't get handy you don't have much show. Surely a 2,400m start would allow for some mid race moves?

The shorter races are a lottery and you are correct, frontrunners dominate.

So many horses are lining up with no show as drivers just go thru the motions!

  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The shorter races are a lottery and you are correct, frontrunners dominate.

So many horses are lining up with no show as drivers just go thru the motions!

I think they actually programmed a 2,400m for a particular rating type but there was no interest, so they ended up running about 5 identical races, distance wise, for all the horses who nominated for a really broad banded race.

I really don't think the harness rating system works that well and the general public must have no idea. I have seen several instances recently where a horse with 5 or 6 wins and about $50,000 is rated much higher than a horse with 12 wins and $120,000 odd. And maidens can be rated higher than a horse with a couple of wins. Weird system. The gallops one does seem to work better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, the galah said:

Watching todays racing the pattern is you have to be in front.

But the race just run was the 3rd in a row where the leader dictated the pace,and yet not one driver made a move until after they turned for home.It was about the 5th race so far today thats been like that.Not one horse pulled 3 wide prior to the final straight each time.

Sam ottley is an exception,driving well,but really anyone who j has been watching would wonder how hard some are trying,or are they happy to go all that way to drop rating points. Seems a long way to go for that.

Todays pattern for the mobiles seems different Galah

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mikie said:

Todays pattern for the mobiles seems different Galah

So why is that. I would guess that some are trying harder today than the 1st day. 

As a couple of posters have pointed out,these 1850 races are like the 1980 races at addington,if they run them at a consistent speed without overdoing it,horses up front nearly always dominate.Its only when they run over a further distance that horses up front tend to have to take a breather at some stage,and its at that point that those at the back have an opportunity t make a move,. Just as if they the leaders maintain the fast speed over the longer distances then they can get tired near the finish ,again giving the back runners a chance.

If you want people watching and betting to consider they have had a run for their money or have understood drivers tactics,then races run over a further distance are clearly the better option.

Why is it ,if sprint racing is so good,then why don't they run the cup races over a mobile 1850 pbd sprint?

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the previous race,after i posted that,i backed the horse 3 back the fence. Never got a run and may have won had it done so. However tomlinson from 4 back the fence did get an inside run ,inside the 3 back fence horse,and ran 2nd.Ottley has driven the next 2 winners. Maybe a bit late to get on the bandwagon i suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the galah said:

One constant through all the races over the two days is sheree tomlinson is driving in great form as is sam ottley.

Yes, well done Miss Tomlinson. This is a statement from her, as I think she has been forgotten a bit since leaving junior ranks. This is a reminder of how talented she is... 

  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the 2nd day and it was a bumper crowd,with stunning weather,and apparently there was a pretty good crowd for day 1 as well. Their turnover was a success on both days by all reports. It sucks that we lost the winter meetings,but so good to see the 2 days being so well supported by trainers,as well as the public.Hopefully that trend continues over the years.

  • Champ Post 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I went to the 2nd day and it was a bumper crowd,with stunning weather,and apparently there was a pretty good crowd for day 1 as well. Their turnover was a success on both days by all reports. It sucks that we lost the winter meetings,but so good to see the 2 days being so well supported by trainers,as well as the public.Hopefully that trend continues over the years.

Do you think they got more people on-course than an equivalent Sunday at Addington might have?

Interesting that they managed to get genuine sponsors for every race over the two days, more  than Addington could have been bothered doing. A couple of $20,000 races on the second day as well.

  • Like 1
  • Fake News! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
13 hours ago, Doomed said:
Do you think they got more people on-course than an equivalent Sunday at Addington might have?
 
Interesting that they managed to get genuine sponsors for every race over the two days, more than Addington could have been bothered doing. A couple of $20,000 races on the second day as well.
 
Very positive Doomed, why not celebrate a job well done by Blenheim rather than bag Addington. I'm picking one cup day sponsorship would be more money than 11 at Blenheim. What should also be mentioned is all the owners that floated  their horse's over the holiday period to keep regions with very few local horse populations going at considerable cost. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unhinged said:
What should also be mentioned is all the owners that floated their horse's over the holiday period to keep regions with very few local horse populations going at considerable cost. 

I doubt many owners travelled their horses to Blenheim (or any of the other holiday venue) "to keep regions with very few local horse populations going" .... I reckon they did so because they enjoy the trip away and having a horse running around is a bonus

Edited by Taku Umanga
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt you may , but Westview travelled to Omakau and Nelson for no other reason than supporting two club presidents and committees that do outstanding jobs, financially made no sense , holiday sure travelled to Omakau and back In  a day. Maybe I care to much for this industry. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unhinged said:
 
13 hours ago, Doomed said:
Do you think they got more people on-course than an equivalent Sunday at Addington might have?
 
Interesting that they managed to get genuine sponsors for every race over the two days, more than Addington could have been bothered doing. A couple of $20,000 races on the second day as well.
 
Very positive Doomed, why not celebrate a job well done by Blenheim rather than bag Addington. I'm picking one cup day sponsorship would be more money than 11 at Blenheim. What should also be mentioned is all the owners that floated  their horse's over the holiday period to keep regions with very few local horse populations going at considerable cost. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I thought I was celebrating a job well done by Blenheim. For a small town to get a bigger crowd than a big city is surely a good effort. And I like to see decent sponsors for a each race, always a sign the club is trying hard.

Incidentally, on Cup Day at Addington two races are worth $35,000 and eight others are worth $20,000 and $25,000 so perhaps any one of those races might not have more sponsorship than 11 races at Blenheim.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As of course you know stakes are set by HRNZ not the clubs, but I'm sure you get my point  . Finding sponsors for over 500 race's isn't that easy but I'm sure the club is open to any suggestions. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Traveling never bothered me if I had horses running,  I planned mybreaks around them.  BTW  anyone else spot the naked dude on the roof turning for home?   

 

Hj

Didn't see the fella on the roof. Did see in the main race on the 2nd day at nelson, a seagull try and get out of the way of the mobile,didn't make it and flew into the mobile arm,then lay dead on the track just past the winning post.

 

4 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Doubt you may , but Westview travelled to Omakau and Nelson for no other reason than supporting two club presidents and committees that do outstanding jobs, financially made no sense , holiday sure travelled to Omakau and back In  a day. Maybe I care to much for this industry. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you were going to a place like omakau from christchurch it would have to cost close to $500 for a return trip if you had a petrol vehicle and were towing a double horse float.Then add to that the cost of accommodation and it must be an expensive trip if you didn't get anywhere.How much money the owners have to spare would have to be a factor with horses that travel that far. 

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...