Bit Of A Yarn

Seriously Denis O’Connell- Hand your license in!!!!

Brodie

9 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Just been watching a bit of dads army on you tube,check out the boots boots boots episode,brilliant.

A strange irony a few months back when trackside radio was on a race from Albion Park had a horse called Arthur Lowe who was captain mainwearing racing and you would not believe but straight after that race from Albion a gallop race from Ipswich had a horse called Captain Mainwearing,what are the odds of that.

O'connells just an easy target.

Could he have got in the trail early.Well initially it may have looked like that,but if you have a close look at the video he would not have been able to cross without making contact with the legs of the horse inside him.

Should he have dropped in behind the horse that improved outside him between the 1600m and 1400m,maybe,but that horse stopped badly so with hindsight he probably made the right decision.

Could he have dropped into the trail with 1000m to run. Yes,but he is a poor driver tactically and his decision not to trail at that point is just consistent with the tactical decisions he makes in many races. No ones called for him to hand in his licence on his other poor tactical drives.

The only part of his drive that i believe deserves scrutiny was with about 900m to go when it looked like he was having some sort of tourette's attack when dealing with what appeared to be a handbrake he was having trouble releasing.

There's still an ongoing theme on this site of double standards ,it all depending on who the personality may be. The CJ de fillipi suspension was yet another example of that. The very same posters saying de fillipi did not team drive,are the same ones moaning about team driving from the likes of the all stars. Its hard to take some seriously when they have such double standards.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shad said:

Cant be to harsh on him, keeps the numbers up week in and out, good on him for having a go, with a few battlers that could be in a much worse place than at to the races, plenty of characters in the racing game, and he's just another them.

I agree! Thats why it is called gambling you are taking a chance. You know you are getting a likely average drive before the race so don't go complaining after.

• Like 1

I have no doubt he will get suspended just cos he's a lesser light average Joe, yes it was a bad drive but he's an average driver so surely it was a standard drive...... if that was a trainer/driver say Brad Williamson all you've got to say is the horse worked well during the week, was pulling a touch after 400 metres I thought if i got cover behind the leader he would pull more and my best chance of him relaxing was to sit parked then say I was happy with the run, finished 9 lengths from the winner in the fastest time the horse has run.

A reputable driver would get away with that drive with whatever BS they want to spin to the stewards.

What's worse that drive from Dennis or a $2 favourite sitting last and flying home for 4th after never been put in the race ?

• Like 1

Seriously, hoe anyone could possibly defend the drive as being acceptable is just ridiculous!!!

He couldve easily dropped into the trail early on.

He shouldve handed up to Jimmy Curtain a lap out, and to keep his poor horse parked out and then hammer it down the back straight was just ridiculous!

Yes of course he is an easy target bit there js a reason for that!

Why is he only on a Graduation license, when years ago he had an Open License????

The Harness Industry needs to have far better standards than this, as the drive was a shocker.

The same driver had his horse disqualified From a placing at Cromwell as he went up the passing lane with a round to go!

Yes there are a enthusiasts that want to drive their horses on race day, and yes they are entitled to if they have a licenses!

However, if their standards are not up to scratch, then they need to be stood down.

On the roads, do you condone people that are dangerous to be able to drive just because they have a license?

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Seriously, hoe anyone could possibly defend the drive as being acceptable is just ridiculous!!!

He shouldve handed up to Jimmy Curtain a lap out, and to keep his poor horse parked out and then hammer it down the back straight was just ridiculous!

Why is he only on a Graduation license, when years ago he had an Open License????

The Harness Industry needs to have far better standards than this, as the drive was a shocker.

The same driver had his horse disqualified From a placing at Cromwell as he went up the passing lane with a round to go!

Yes there are a enthusiasts that want to drive their horses on race day, and yes they are entitled to if they have a licenses!

However, if their standards are not up to scratch, then they need to be stood down.

On the roads, do you condone people that are dangerous to be able to drive just because they have a license?

time for the brodster to put his yellow jacket with the blue diamonds back on

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Unfortunately we see this problem occurring at the Oamaru trials, where trainers like Denis get in the cart. Some of them are quick to hop off come race day, but others like Denis like to drive ,.but trials are very different to race day.

• Like 3

Guest CrossCodes

The drive on Glenthorpe at the same meeting was equally as bad and I note both Tomlinson and O’Connells drives were questioned by stewards.

Tomlinson went crazy hard  on Glenthorpe (paying $101 fixed odds) in a ridiculously fast lead time refusing to hand to the red hot favourite when she could have easily had a cosy trail the whole race.

Both drives were equally as bad in my book, but will one get treated more harshly than the other, I think we know they will, one being an older man and the other a pretty young female.

9 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Unfortunately we see this problem occurring at the Oamaru trials, where trainers like Denis get in the cart. Some of them are quick to hop off come race day, but others like Denis like to drive ,.but trials are very different to race day.

Fair to say most times he has someone else driving,might just go round now and then for the fun of it,who would know 

9 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Fair to say most times he has someone else driving,might just go round now and then for the fun of it,who would know 

I probably need to hand my cooking driver's licence in. Tonight's dinner is not looking good, and I will have to face my own judicial inquiry,.and they are ruthless.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

The drive on Glenthorpe at the same meeting was equally as bad and I note both Tomlinson and O’Connells drives were questioned by stewards.

Tomlinson went crazy hard  on Glenthorpe (paying $101 fixed odds) in a ridiculously fast lead time refusing to hand to the red hot favourite when she could have easily had a cosy trail the whole race.

She said she was instructed to lead by the trainer but they,unusually, didn't accept that explanation.

31 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Both drives were equally as bad in my book, but will one get treated more harshly than the other, I think we know they will, one being an older man and the other a pretty young female.

Yes Keryns drive on Glenthorpe, was not that well thought out!

yes it wouldnt go down as some of her better work, however nowhere near as bad as O’Connells for several reasons!

The interesting thing is the fact that our Junior driver that won the inter island competition this year has not won a single race in 34 drives!!

Just shows how much of a raffle the inter island comp is doesnt it?

Edited by Brodie

19 hours ago, the galah said:

Yes,but he is a poor driver tactically and his decision not to trail at that point is just consistent with the tactical decisions he makes in many races.

I have watched the race a few times over to see how bad it was. Tactically, it was inept with a few very questionable decisions. Ironically, if he had got in the trail after the start his horse could have won the race in my opinion.

At least he did not use the whip to any great extent on the horse so that is one thing.

The careless driving charge against Butt was a just as bad piece of driving for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

I probably need to hand my cooking driver's licence in. Tonight's dinner is not looking good, and I will have to face my own judicial inquiry,.and they are ruthless.

Another way of looking at things,just hope you dont lose ya licences,then you will have to cook,no more KFC,Pizza Hut,Maccas,or Chippies 😂

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I have watched the race a few times over to see how bad it was. Tactically, it was inept with a few very questionable decisions. Ironically, if he had got in the trail after the start his horse could have won the race in my opinion.

At least he did not use the whip to any great extent on the horse so that is one thing.

The careless driving charge against Butt was a just as bad piece of driving for me.

Kimberley clearly went for a gap that wasnt there, and she will admit that, but she is a skilled horse woman and driver, however Denis could not be classed as the second one!

Mr O’Connell certainly used the whip in the straight unnecessarily as the horse was already beaten

• Haha 1